Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 03:13 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times

Advertisements

For some strange reason I cannot understand I thought of this thread today.

//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...-about-me.html

The scenario was where a girl wanted her BF to buy a computer from her directly so she could get commission off of the sale. The BF wanted to buy elsewhere. I advised that from my studies of business and job as a personal banker, it is my rule NOT to do any sort of business like that with a significant other. I think it is a conflict of interest which can cause trouble later in the relationship.

In a lot of retail including banking you are not allowed to conduct transactions of any type with family. I personally think that is a good rule.

Has anyone ever had a business-type deal with a spouse go sour and create drama or do you agree with my rule of not doing business with loved ones including romantic partners?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 03:24 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post

The scenario was where a girl wanted her BF to buy a computer from her directly so she could get commission off of the sale. The BF wanted to buy elsewhere. I advised that from my studies of business and job as a personal banker, it is my rule NOT to do any sort of business like that with a significant other. I think it is a conflict of interest which can cause trouble later in the relationship.

In a lot of retail including banking you are not allowed to conduct transactions of any type with family. I personally think that is a good rule.

Has anyone ever had a business-type deal with a spouse go sour and create drama or do you agree with my rule of not doing business with loved ones including romantic partners?
Do you mean actually process the transaction for a relative? If so, then yes, I agree and it's against pretty much any bank policy. I was a teller for many years and we could not process our own family's transactions. Same when I was a cashier in a supermarket. We all knew each other's families so we weren't allowed to check out our own parents.

But I do agree with what you're saying. Unless it's a family venture type business, then that's different but doing financial favors for someone can sabotage a relationship if something goes wrong. I'm a banker also and I've seen bf's or gf's take out loans for the other person to pay off bills. We always asked them if they were really, REALLY sure they wanted to take that responsibility.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:42 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,011,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post

I work from home with my husband. We run our own recruitment firm. For the most part, all is fine between us. We try not to get our family or friends involved. About 15 years ago, I hired my brother in law to be my Assistant Manager at the retail store I managed. Nobody knew he was related to me. However, he took complete and total advantage of me. I finally had to request he get moved to another location. Or else I was going to end up HATING him. lol.

Also, a few years ago, I worked with a very close friend of mine. Suffice to say we stopped speaking to one another for almost 2 years. It's just been very recent that we have started communicating again. When it comes down to money, friends and business do not work well together. It might work for some. But I have found it to be a lethal combination.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:21 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
yes,,,stay away from friends and family,,

best way to break up a family,,,

even if two brothers are business owners....and they get along well,,,they both are married, one wife works at the business, 15 hrs per week,,the other does not,,

not only do you now have the brotherly dynamics,,,you have spouse dynamics involved....a minefield,,

Old 06-27-2013, 07:35 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
I think if he could purchase the exact same item for the exact same price, there's no harm in buying it from his GF so she can make a commission. But I wouldn't expect him to buy a product he doesn't want, or at a significantly higher price, just so she can make money.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:50 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,054 times
Well, most married couples' largest investment is in the house they own together. They may also jointly own retirement money, college funds for the kids, loans on cars, and be beneficiaries of each other's health and/or life insurance.

Married couples, and many unmarried couples, quite commonly have joint financial endeavours. How is buying a computer a bigger deal than that?

Old 06-27-2013, 08:11 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
I own a successful investing company, and would never allow love ones to be involved. Its always been my business stance when it comes to making money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships