Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 11:27 PM

892 posts, read 1,500,161 times

Advertisements

Several months ago I meet a gal, and things seemed to get off to a good start. We go on a few dates, all is well. We plan on an evening at my place - dinner, chatting by the fire in the back yard. She goes to the restroom, and comes back with a look of...I'm not sure how to put it..mildly creeped out? Not in a "OMG, I'm dating an axe murderer!" kind of way, more of a "something odd is going on here" way.

She tells me she found it rather odd that my bathroom was clean, things are organized, no "reading material" by the toilet, nice towels on the rack, and worst of all, I have scented soaps at the sink (I normally buy Softsoap Black Raspberry and Vanilla).

In other words, it's the exact opposite of what she would expect of a guy's bathroom - dirty, messy, lava bar soap, etc. It was more of a woman's bathroom than a guy's bathroom. While she didn't specifically say it, I think she got the impression that perhaps I was lying when I said I was single, or that I recently broke up with someone (I told her that I've been single for a few years, and hadn't even been dating, which is the truth). Or perhaps she thought I was a metrosexual...I don't know, I never really got into the subject, and she wasn't much of a talker...I often felt I was forcing conversations like that (part of the several reasons we eventually went our separate ways).

I'll admit, it probably does seem a bit off, considering I am what many have said, a guy's guy, and I've been referred to as a redneck many times (which I don't argue, lol). But that said, would this bathroom thing be a turn off to women in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 12:13 AM

173 posts, read 209,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
Several months ago I meet a gal, and things seemed to get off to a good start. We go on a few dates, all is well. We plan on an evening at my place - dinner, chatting by the fire in the back yard. She goes to the restroom, and comes back with a look of...I'm not sure how to put it..mildly creeped out? Not in a "OMG, I'm dating an axe murderer!" kind of way, more of a "something odd is going on here" way.

She tells me she found it rather odd that my bathroom was clean, things are organized, no "reading material" by the toilet, nice towels on the rack, and worst of all, I have scented soaps at the sink (I normally buy Softsoap Black Raspberry and Vanilla).

In other words, it's the exact opposite of what she would expect of a guy's bathroom - dirty, messy, lava bar soap, etc. It was more of a woman's bathroom than a guy's bathroom. While she didn't specifically say it, I think she got the impression that perhaps I was lying when I said I was single, or that I recently broke up with someone (I told her that I've been single for a few years, and hadn't even been dating, which is the truth). Or perhaps she thought I was a metrosexual...I don't know, I never really got into the subject, and she wasn't much of a talker...I often felt I was forcing conversations like that (part of the several reasons we eventually went our separate ways).

I'll admit, it probably does seem a bit off, considering I am what many have said, a guy's guy, and I've been referred to as a redneck many times (which I don't argue, lol). But that said, would this bathroom thing be a turn off to women in general?
Are you sure about that?

Mod cut: Off topic.

Still no "fruity" shampoos or soaps.

No pink bath towels with gold lace either.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-28-2013 at 01:03 PM..

Old 06-28-2013, 12:18 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,744,337 times
Not to me.

I'd be more turned off by the dirty, messy bathroom you described.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:18 AM

501 posts, read 801,316 times
Yes it would be a turn off, I would think either you are lying about living alone and/or being single or worse.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:41 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Counter the foo-foo soap and towels with a freshly killed deer in the tub and maybe some rabbits and squirrels hanging from the shower curtain.

Put a boar's head in the fridge next to the Perrier. <With its eyes OPEN> Ask her if she would grab you a Perrier out of the fridge.

Is she still cool....

Mod cut: Off topic.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-28-2013 at 01:05 PM..

Old 06-28-2013, 02:02 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Not to me either. A clean, tidy, nice smelling bathroom, quality, scented soaps and soft, fluffy towels would definitely NOT be a turn-off to me. It would most likely mean that this guy underwear and bed sheets are also clean, and he cares about personal hygiene.

Last edited by elnina; 06-28-2013 at 02:32 AM..

Old 06-28-2013, 02:08 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post

I would be impressed if I went to a guys house and saw it was all clean and organized and decorated with candles etc. It would be refreshing.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:28 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
I guess bathroom condition and accouterments would have a lot to say about a man's personality, but I'm an economist not a social psychologist.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:11 AM

250 posts, read 399,994 times
What if there were little fairy soaps and towels around, but then some cylinder heads leaning against the tub that I started to degrease with solvent in the tub back when it was really cold out, and got sidetracked from the project and let them sit there? Which is worse?

What his bathroom looks like seems like a really trivial thing to be concerned about in the big picture.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:08 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
No, I would be impressed. Why shouldn't men have clean towels and soap that smells nice?

Maybe your mama raised you to have good taste?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships