Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 08:26 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nald View Post
That guy either has a very strong will to change his life or he desperately wants to get laid.
He decided he wanted a social life, and cleaning his place was the preparatory phase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 08:29 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katykat01 View Post
And, if your date happens to be a type A clean freak, who you really hit it off with, will you change your habits? I ask because I'm a type A clean freak and have no desire to spend my life cleaning up after a man. I'd rather see early on what a pig he is, so I can find someone else. Yes, it's enough to make me find someone else because I absolutely can not stand clutter, filth, or a mess. And if it takes you hours to clean your home, I'm assuming you are a slob. No offense, but that's what it sounds like, though you may think differently.
When I first dated my ex bf his place was spotless and smelled good. I found out later that he hired someone to clean it when we were first dating. Then I actually started doing some cleaning for him, stupid me. After I quit and he felt like the relationship was sealed his place became such a pig sty that I would not go over there. Im no Martha Stewart but if your too lazy to clean up after yourself, well that needs to be disclosed.

So yes it can be somewhat deceitful.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:51 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post

Is heavy cleaning expected or deceitful, and does anybody not do it?
I think most (or at least many) people do this when they're having company over, whether it be family, friends, coworkers, dates, etc.

If somebody has made plans to have me over to their place, I tend to assume that the state I see it in is not the state it is normally in. I don't think of it as deceitful. I take it as a compliment that they think highly enough of me to spruce the place up. If we're stopping by spontaneously, I assume that's what their place normally looks like.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:02 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
The other day I was suppose to have company over. I spent about 4-5 hours engaged in heavy cleaning before hand, and got the place looking brand spanking new.

As I was emptying all the trash off the bed (I usually sleep on the couch), it occurred to me - am I being deceitful by completely cleaning up the place?

Will she be let down when (as the dates go on) things get progressively dirtier?

I'm not a "slob" by any means, but my last date commented how "clean" I was.

I wanted to laugh.

Is heavy cleaning expected or deceitful, and does anybody not do it?
"Slob" is subjective, and slobs usually don't think they are slobs. But if you're cleaning trash off the bed, welp, I'd call that sloppy. Either way, I think it's fine to want to make a good impression. But if it is no where near what you would normally do, yes, it is deceitful. Bait and switch. Prince Charming at first, Al Bundy in the end. Yuck.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:19 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
I think most (or at least many) people do this when they're having company over, whether it be family, friends, coworkers, dates, etc.

If somebody has made plans to have me over to their place, I tend to assume that the state I see it in is not the state it is normally in.
Does nobody do a weekly cleaning routine anymore? As Elnina said earlier, if you have a regular routine, there's no need for any big blitz effort for company. The state you see their place in IS its normal state.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:23 AM

523 posts, read 840,270 times
I always clean before anyone comes over and so does everyone I know. Only on this forum would someone think that cleaning is deceitful, geez. Overthink much?

Old 06-28-2013, 09:45 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr2013 View Post
I always clean before anyone comes over and so does everyone I know. Only on this forum would someone think that cleaning is deceitful, geez. Overthink much?
Nobody ever said it's deceitful to clean, I vacuum my floors, empty the sink and dishwasher and wipe down the bathrooms if I'm expecting someone, but it takes me maybe an hour to tidy up...not 4-5 hours.

The bottom line is he's not a neat person, and he wants to know if this girl will be disappointed when she learned this (because it doesn't sound like he wants to continue to keep his place clean).

Old 06-28-2013, 09:48 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,995,568 times
I think it's a good point that too much cleaning can put you in a relationship with someone who is incompatible.

I try to have my place at the clean end of its normal spectrum when I have people over. Honest but optimistic; that's me .

Old 06-28-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Does nobody do a weekly cleaning routine anymore? As Elnina said earlier, if you have a regular routine, there's no need for any big blitz effort for company. The state you see their place in IS its normal state.
I'm sure plenty of people do. Not many single straight men I know do, though. Even if they do, it may not be in the state they want it to be in when they're bringing a woman up for the first time, especially after 6 days.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I think it's a good point that too much cleaning can put you in a relationship with someone who is incompatible.
That's true. If I see a woman's place before she sees mine, and it's too spotless, I might think, "Oh man, she is not going to like how I keep my place at all!" I'd still say it's better to err in that direction than in the other, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships