Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 05:47 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times

Advertisements

Here's the deets:

We dated 6 months, and while that is not a super-long time, we were VERY into each other, and both felt at one time it might be "the one".

Never once argued, but did realize we are incompatible

Ended with a hug and kiss, but both agreed some distance is in order.

It's been a few days, and while I have a big hole in my heart, I also KNOW that it is the best, and in that sense I have a weight off my shoulders. Being the right thing does not make it easy, but it does help in some way, I think. Anyway, I'm feeling kinda guilty that all of the sudden, there is NO CONTACT. We both agreed it was best, and that we'd probably not even cross paths since we don't have any friends in common, other than those who we introduced during dating (and they'll stay with whom they've known for a long time.)

But anyway, I'm not really looking for advice, but I'd like to listen to, or partake in a discussion about "break it off clean" vs. "Remain friends". I would value what others have to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 06:10 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Break it off clean. It feels like ripping a bandaid off and then you have an open sore exposed (which is the hardest part) but when you're so into each other like that, it's the best way, imo. You will heal and move on in time. You can keep your good memories of your time together this way and your hope alive, rather than staying together and things whithering away slowly to the point that you hate each other and hate life.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:17 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
friends after lovers, is like eating liver after the ice cream,,,,,

the liver sucks,, and the ice cream is all gone,,,

Old 06-29-2013, 06:20 PM

2,948 posts, read 7,019,456 times
Going back as friends after that kind of intensity is just disaster waiting to happen, and it will hurt worse than what you feel now.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:15 PM

1,839 posts, read 3,066,067 times
You need to be no contact for a very long time, maybe 1 year in your case to truly be friends. If ever, break it clean or risk going in circles.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:20 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,469,507 times
I'd say it depends on the nature of the incompatibility, and each of your ability to keep things to friendship only if you stay in touch.

Many - perhaps even most - of the women I've dated for any length of time remained friends after we broke up. If we weren't compatible for a relationship, we were usually still compatible enough to be friends, and clear on why that should be the extent of it. If one wishes for more, it won't work. Usually, you can tell if they do, and decide accordingly.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:07 PM

195 posts, read 335,865 times
I've never had any interest in " just being friends ".

Old 06-29-2013, 09:35 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,308,567 times
It has been my experience anything other than a clean break doesn't work. You don't erase the erotic with the face, body and mind. And has been stated, anything else just doesn't meet expectations. No one eats a regurgitated meal. It is cast out for a reason.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:57 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,450,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
I'd say it depends on the nature of the incompatibility, and each of your ability to keep things to friendship only if you stay in touch.

Many - perhaps even most - of the women I've dated for any length of time remained friends after we broke up. If we weren't compatible for a relationship, we were usually still compatible enough to be friends, and clear on why that should be the extent of it. If one wishes for more, it won't work. Usually, you can tell if they do, and decide accordingly.
im friends with every female i have broken off romantic relations with mutually. no drama involved and they are all great people that i have known for well over 15 years

without echoing what you said again in my own words, i will just agree

Old 06-29-2013, 11:09 PM

864 posts, read 1,454,420 times
Clean break. Don't look back. Just move forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships