Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 02:23 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times

Advertisements

I think I've spoken very positively about my wife here on the forum. I suppose I'm bragging a bit, but when you've got something good you like talking about it, right? And sometimes you see or experience things that completely reinforce how good you have it. I already know I'm onto a good thing with my wife, but sometimes I forget just how good I have it. Then I get little reminders.

For the last week, my wife and I have had some house guests. They're very good people and in no way do I wish for this to be misconstrued as a complaint. They are as good a house guest as you could ask for. But when you live closely with others for an extended period of time, or even as short as a week, you pick up on nuances that you would otherwise not notice.

This family is in a transitional period in their lives. They are on the brink of buying a new home, and it could be going a little more smoothly for them. I can appreciate her frustration because my wife and I went through the same thing last fall. But what blows me away is how much she marginalizes her husband. She also becomes extremely irritable with him over the smallest things. Usually this happens as a result of frustration due to the search for a house, but there are other examples, too. While the husband is the primary bread-winner in their family, the wife is the one who has the strong personality. He is passive, though certainly not a floor mat. It's just their dynamic.

Yesterday my wife and I were outside doing some yard work. Our guests were tending to their housing search. I mentioned to my wife how glad I am that she does not talk to me the way our friend talks to her husband. I'm decisively less passive than our friend, so if my wife talked to me like that it would likely result in an argument. But the point is, she doesn't.

I realize I am comparing my family dynamic to someone else's which is not necessarily an apples to apples comparison. But if I had to sum it up, I would definitely say my wife respects me much more than our friend respects her husband. That is the perception from where I sit, though I acknowledge I am probably not seeing their whole picture. Still I can't help but have a renewed sense of gratitude with the wife I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 02:29 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
I see this sometimes. It could be the wife or the husband who is disrespectful, but I chalk it up to not loving their spouse.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:30 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
People will only treat you the way you let them. Respect yourself and others will follow suit.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I see this sometimes. It could be the wife or the husband who is disrespectful, but I chalk it up to not loving their spouse.
And I also want to stress, this is a perceived lack of respect. I don't know what's going on behind the scenes.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:37 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
First, I am glad that you and your wife have such a wonderful relationship. No money can buy that. However, what you are seeing from your house guests may not be disrespect as much as stress. They are living in your home, eating your food, not knowing how long they will be living in your home and eating your food, trying not to make a mess of your home, trying to live within the boundaries of your rules, looking for a new home for themselves--you get the picture.

Everyone's relationship is different. If this is how you always see them, then this dynamic works for them. It just won't work for you.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
First, I am glad that you and your wife have such a wonderful relationship. No money can buy that. However, what you are seeing from your house guests may not be disrespect as much as stress. They are living in your home, eating your food, not knowing how long they will be living in your home and eating your food, trying not to make a mess of your home, trying to live within the boundaries of your rules, looking for a new home for themselves--you get the picture.

Everyone's relationship is different. If this is how you always see them, then this dynamic works for them. It just won't work for you.
I would buy that if not for the fact that I have picked up on it in small doses in previous engagements with this family. I'm sure what I'm seeing is at least partially a result of stress, but this is a dynamic I've seen before in this couple.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:43 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
It's always good to live as consciously as possible - to be aware of just how blessed we truly are, but especially in regards to our spouses

Good for you

Old 06-30-2013, 03:35 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It's always good to live as consciously as possible - to be aware of just how blessed we truly are, but especially in regards to our spouses

Good for you

Old 06-30-2013, 03:48 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,995,568 times
Quote:
Some people don't treat others disrespectfully no matter how stressed they are. Or, at least, they instantly catch themselves and apologise.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:57 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,474,480 times
I would also add that your wife is a lucky woman to have a husband that takes the time to appreciate her. That appreciation and verbal confirmation is worth more then flowers or empty compliments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships