Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 11:38 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times

Advertisements

You make some valid points, but then you build up to absurdity. I am not religious. My motivation is hinted at on page 1, and it's unrelated to religion. And "divorce on a whim" is a red herring. Didn't I already tell you to start your own thread about unwed mothers or something? By all means, leave this thread now.

As far as the marital counseling industry goes, I suspect that some therapists and psychologists would shift their practices toward it if government pushed it, because it seems that many of them aren't getting as much business as they'd like. That of course would help with costs. I will have to research counseling costs further. Also, as I insisted earlier, just getting informational resources (e.g., book names) from some sessions could be productive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 03:08 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
Why would anyone want the government telling them who they have to be married to, and for how long?

Old 07-06-2013, 04:11 PM

Red herring. Please read the thread.

So far, with Googling, I'm not finding $200-$300 to be a typical price for marriage counseling. Maybe in some rich places? I concede the average price is more than the $100 or so I thought it was.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:15 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
As far as the marital counseling industry goes, I suspect that some therapists and psychologists would shift their practices toward it if government pushed it, because it seems that many of them aren't getting as much business as they'd like.
Where are you getting THAT information? Have you ever tried to make an appointment with a mental health professional? Try it sometime, and be sure and tell their answering machine that your insurance doesn't cover it.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:31 PM

I base it mostly on reports of people with psychology degrees who cannot get jobs and also the bad economy.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:56 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Some parents should be required to get counseling before divorcing
No.

[]

Old 07-06-2013, 05:06 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
You make some valid points, but then you build up to absurdity. I am not religious. My motivation is hinted at on page 1, and it's unrelated to religion. And "divorce on a whim" is a red herring. Didn't I already tell you to start your own thread about unwed mothers or something? By all means, leave this thread now.

As far as the marital counseling industry goes, I suspect that some therapists and psychologists would shift their practices toward it if government pushed it, because it seems that many of them aren't getting as much business as they'd like. That of course would help with costs. I will have to research counseling costs further. Also, as I insisted earlier, just getting informational resources (e.g., book names) from some sessions could be productive.
You'd think the screenname would be a clue. LOL.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:18 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:
I base it mostly on reports of people with psychology degrees who cannot get jobs and also the bad economy.
If you have the post graduate clinical qualifications, you do not need to "get a job." You simply open an office and start practicing. Are you being obtuse on purpose?

Old 07-06-2013, 07:59 PM

Are you? Would you want to open your own business (involving advertising costs and probably renting space) when there are many more experienced competitors and many would-be customers would distrust you based on age alone? I know more about this subject than people think. By the way, while not mental health professionals, life coaches have some similarities to them, and most life coaches make lousy money.

However, that could mean that the market shifting to meet higher demand is just wishful thinking by me. Marriage counselors probably need to be in their late 30's or older, and older therapists and psychologists simply might not like doing marriage counseling.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:10 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
I don't agree with the assumption that "counselling" is necessarily a good thing in the first place.

Just like any profession, there are good ones and bad ones. What happens if you get a bad one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships