Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 12:43 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
And the fact that I would have to talk to anyone who doesn't know me from
Adam, and that person who knows nothing about me or my situation dictate whether
I should stay in a relationship or not is just ridiculous.
That probably means me, but if you mean a marital counselor, even he or she doesn't really dictate anything. Therapy usually provides a few tips and helps people sort out their feelings and goals. If more people went to counseling and learned things from it, maybe it would spread by osmosis, even to people who aren't in therapy. One objection I can agree with is the opening up to a stranger about a personal situation - but still, that's not a good reason to forgo marital help, especially when the well-being of children is involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 12:46 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
If she hadn't cheated then the parents would be together and maybe he wouldn't have robbed a bank.
It would be a less eye-rolling example if you explained it by way of his hanging out with the wrong crowd and/or developing a drug addiction as a coping method for divorce-related turmoil. Even so, I couldn't absolve him of all responsibility.

Can you or someone else please change course and talk (off-topic slightly) about situations in which the Catholic Church, in pre-marital counseling, might discourage people from marrying?

Old 07-02-2013, 12:54 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
It would be a less eye-rolling example if you explained it by way of his hanging out with the wrong crowd and/or developing a drug addiction as a coping method for divorce-related turmoil. Even so, I couldn't absolve him of all responsibility.

Can you or someone else please change course and talk (off-topic slightly) about situations in which the Catholic Church, in pre-marital counseling, might discourage people from marrying?

I also do some work with kids and there is a big difference between the kids with married parents and those with divorced or never married. I do know when the parents got divorced the kids started getting in trouble at school. I saw it when my friend's niece and nephews and though the other kids didn't get into trouble like he did they did get into issues like drugs.

I haven't gone through the process at the Catholic Church but if someone is incompatible they strongly discourage the wedding.I believe it mostly has to do with various moral issues, like having kids.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:06 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
Punish the kids???? The kids can still be taken care very well if the parents divorce, just like they can live a life of total misery if they stay together.
In my instance, my mom divorcing my father was a matter of survival. It may have been a struggle financially for a while, but in my case money problems were a nice problem compared to dealing 24/7 with an alcoholic father.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:07 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:

but realistically government-pushed divorce counseling is probably the
biggest feasible fix.
Do you live in the US? Government pushed anything is never the best feasible fix.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:14 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
Terrible idea, sorry. I'm an adult and if I want to get married and divorced, then that's my decision and none of the government's business. There shouldn't be hoops to jump through to get married or divorced. Let's assume mentally capable adults can make decisions about their personal lives without government help.

Counseling can be fantastic. I bet counseling has saved quite a few marriages, but counseling helps people who really want it. It won't do anything forcing someone to sit through a bunch of sessions they don't want to be at.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:25 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Here's the thing: if one or both people are checked out of a marriage and want to end it, it doesn't matter if this dream government of yours insist they "try harder". Married couples can live apart and sleep with other people and not be together in any way except in title. It sounds like the title is more important to some of you than anything else.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:28 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,226,427 times
Maybe if divorce is not even allowed with minor children involved. Then when mom gets tired of cheating and dad gets tired of the hookers out of the family account they can work it out.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:30 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,226,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Here's the thing: if one or both people are checked out of a marriage and want to end it, it doesn't matter if this dream government of yours insist they "try harder". Married couples can live apart and sleep with other people and not be together in any way except in title. It sounds like the title is more important to some of you than anything else.
It would prevent things like alimony and child support so if the mom wanted to live on her own then thats fine but there would be no bennies, this would enable dad to hire out his sex since most women wont tolerate sleeping with a married man like men tolerate sleeping with married women.

so it would actually work out pretty decently.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:31 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
Quote:
Getting divorced because someone got fat or because they fell out of love are definitely ridiculous reasons. Fine find your spouse repulsive but stick with the because of the kids. Fine fall out of love with your spouse (whatever that means)but don't punish the kids.
Are you for real? If my husband found me repulsive I would HOPE he would have enough sense to leave. I don't want anyone that doesn't want me and I sure as hell wouldn't want him sharing my bed and my home if he found me repulsive. I wouldn't want my kids being raised in that kind of environment and having that be their example of what marriage should be like.

Quote:
Yes kids need both parents and yes I have had relationships. However I am tired of parents not sticking together for the kids. A friend of mine had a sister who dumped her husband for another man. Her son is now in prison for armed robbery.
Maybe it was their crappy marriage that caused his behavior. Ever hear of attention seeking behavior? Maybe, maybe, maybe. There are a lot of variables. The fact that they divorced is hardly the reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I went to pre-marital counseling (Catholic) before we were married. They really do not discourage people from getting married...they just give you strategies to "problem solve" in a relationship. Most people who go to this counseling do so because it's required to get married in the Catholic church, not because they want to be there. It was pretty much a waste of time (or at least the ones my family attended -all at different churches). The only thing I actually remember from counseling is discussing what family we'd spend the holidays with. The rest obviously wasn't earth shattering information.

Quote:
I also do some work with kids and there is a big difference between the kids with married parents and those with divorced or never married. I do know when the parents got divorced the kids started getting in trouble at school. I saw it when my friend's niece and nephews and though the other kids didn't get into trouble like he did they did get into issues like drugs.

I haven't gone through the process at the Catholic Church but if someone is incompatible they strongly discourage the wedding.I believe it mostly has to do with various moral issues, like having kids.
I teach and I can almost always tell which parents have a crappy marriage and which kids have lost a parent to an untimly death. The kids that have divorced parents are usually not the ones that are acting out. Actually, of the approx 150 kids I taught this year...the ones with the worst behavior problems were in families where the parents were still married. Mostly it was inappropriate behavior towards the opposite sex and violent outbursts with both teachers and other students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships