Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 01:45 PM

33 posts, read 66,707 times

Advertisements

This has happened several time in making plans to meet up with a potential Internet date. We can establish the times and areas where going to be and even establish that we definitely *do* want to meet in person... But there seems to be a long haul when getting up to choosing the actual bar/restaurant/location. It usually ends up that I offer a location not because I really like it but just because he seems too slow in suggesting a place.

Is it that I am too abrupt and want an address immediately? Or was I the one, as the female, to choose a location?

I always thought the guy was supposed to take the upper hand in dating (since women get it in marriage, bwa ha ha!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 01:51 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,958,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekette View Post
This has happened several time in making plans to meet up with a potential Internet date. We can establish the times and areas where going to be and even establish that we definitely *do* want to meet in person... But there seems to be a long haul when getting up to choosing the actual bar/restaurant/location. It usually ends up that I offer a location not because I really like it but just because he seems too slow in suggesting a place.

Is it that I am too abrupt and want an address immediately? Or was I the one, as the female, to choose a location?

I always thought the guy was supposed to take the upper hand in dating (since women get it in marriage, bwa ha ha!)
I guess it depends on what you mean by immediately.
Internet dating is tough. Not knowing someone well and trying to pick a decent place takes experience and practice. And then there's the whole, "Are we ready for a dinner type date, or is this a coffee type meet and greet?"
Most the time, I ask if she is interested in meeting up. I choose an evening a few days out. Then I pick a place in 24-48 hours. If the woman is willing to give input on meeting up, it is a huge bonus (as long as it is realistic, and not a $100 /plate restaurant suggestion).
And then there's the challenge of knowing logistically a good spot. Many people get turned off if they have to travel, or 'aren't that into you' enough to drive that 20 miles or whatever.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:59 PM

I think I've only ever wanted to meet for coffee or drinks for first time meetings. There is nothing like the indigestion that comes from sitting through an entire meal with someone you can't stand!

That being said. I live in NYC and it's super hard to know "cool" locations, especially when you're both trying to find a place that is equidistant. I really find it uncomfortable, all the hemming and hawing, and usually do a quick search on Yelp to get us out of the situation. At the same time, I feel that maybe this approach is too aggressive.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:04 PM

523 posts, read 840,208 times
I think women will end up picking the first meeting place because the guy travels to the woman. He may not know the area. The type of guys I date though, most do the picking.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:05 PM

Ok. That's a good point. I think I'll use that as a point of reference. He can come to me!

Old 07-02-2013, 02:08 PM

523 posts, read 840,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekette View Post
Ok. That's a good point. I think I'll use that as a point of reference. He can come to me!
Yes, it's easier that way. Then if he wants you to pick, you can have one place that you usually go, then you don't have to think about it. For me, he gets bonus points if he doesn't know my area, but still picks the place!

Old 07-02-2013, 02:14 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
I used to make plans and choose locations, but I generally don't anymore because of past issues with being too 'needy' or 'masculine'. I let the guy choose and if it's going to be an issue (I don't have a car, so suggesting somewhere in the suburbs isn't going to work)I'll say something, but it's rarely a problem. I don't do dinner for a first date, so it's usually drinks fairly early on and if we get along, sometimes that turns into dinner or some other activity. Last time, I met for drinks and we got along well so we went to the movies and then had dinner afterwards.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:21 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,892,503 times
For me I suggest a local mall for a soda. I don't do heavy dates first time meeting.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:21 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,470,434 times
You - as the woman - should choose the location for an initial meeting. It should be public and safe, as should the parking area. If the distance is considerable, it's polite to offer something midway between, unless he's okay with the distance.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:27 PM

977 posts, read 1,815,175 times
Whoever asked the other to meet up first should choose. I always choose though since it's easy and I like to try different coffee places. If a man can't choose a place, he either isn't that into meeting you, lazy/procrasticnator, or doesn't know what he's doing. This ain't rocket science esp with Yelp reviews nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships