Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 02:35 PM

11,362 posts, read 9,275,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
Are you kidding?

This thread was an "attack" on Atheists - claiming that *they* take rejection especially poorly.

And when Atheists reply to this "attack" - suddenly the Atheists are the one's "Attacking" ?
Very true. Look at who started this topic. I've been posting on message boards for 13 years and I would never start a topic like this.

IDDY is doing selective reading...

Old 07-03-2013, 02:37 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Religion has given God a bad name. Atheists who are bright are just people seeking the truth and reality. Christ in his time was considered a heretic and atheist by the religion of the day...If there is a God and I believe there is- He probably approves of some atheists more than he does some so called Christians...at least some atheists seek the truth...where as some Christians settle for religious dogma which is a political entity - not a spiritual one - nor one based in truth.

The late Christopher Hitchens is admired by atheists...but one thing about Hitchens that is over looked is that he was a spiritual man...who's real beliefs were deeply private...He had no use for religion...and no one will ever know what he really believed in the depth of his heart....Being an author and speaker - on atheism...He earned a good living being an atheist...a very practical man...who knew how to harness stupidity and spite- in order to turn a profit.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:37 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Apparently you did not figure out that God has

But thanks for proving my point about presumption!

Old 07-03-2013, 02:40 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,444,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
You still have to take into account the age difference. Many of the atheists responding has only been married for a few years. If you look at some of the other data liberals are significantly higher than conservatives (28% vs 37%). And the more conservative Christians are lower than less conservative christian. Hence, it does seem like christian/coservative values do reduce the divorce rate.

But I still don't think more Christians is likely to lead to a much lower divorce rate. Its not my myth.
Huh? Where are you getting the bold from? All you've done is make a statement, accept it as fact, and then try to apply it towards this study.

That's not the way it works.

Show me *in this particular study* that Atheists were in fact involved in younger marriages than the Christian groups.

Also - it was a Christian group that performed this study. I don't see a huge and obvious bias like that being overlooked.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:43 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Quote:
So you're allowed a stringent belief of believing - yet they're "not very intelligent" for their stringent belief of not believing?

Pretty telling..
My belief is normal..It is not really that stringent...My concept of God is forever changing and evolving...being human - I am filled with doubt also...Then I learn something...things are revealed and wisdom increases..The difference is that I am OPEN to on going learning for eternity. Some days God is so far away that he is non- existent..then as mentioned - I observe something in nature for example and understand from another perspective or attitude...any one who lives in this miracle - in the cosmos on this speck of dust who has made their mind up that something is impossible - restricts them selves no differently than a dogmatic religious person..."Pretty telling" ? - I see this is s contest for you on who is RIGHT...I don't complete thank you.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:52 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,383 times
Quote:
Huh? Where are you getting the bold from? All you've done is make a statement, accept it as fact, and then try to apply it towards this study.

That's not the way it works.

Show me *in this particular study* that Atheists were in fact involved in younger marriages than the Christian groups.

Also - it was a Christian group that performed this study. I don't see a huge and obvious bias like that being overlooked.
I can at least give you information about average age of Christians and atheists.
The study's statistics on religion show that more than six-in-ten Americans age 70 and older (62%) are Protestant but that this number is only about four-in-ten (43%) among Americans ages 18-29. Conversely, young adults ages 18-29 are much more likely than those age 70 and older to say that they are not affiliated with any particular religion (25% vs. 8%).

People not affiliated with any particular religion stand out for their relative youth compared with other religious traditions. Among the unaffiliated, 31% are under age 30 and 71% are under age 50. Comparable numbers for the overall adult population are 20% and 59%, respectively.
http://religions.pewforum.org/reports

As atheists tend to be younger than christians, then their divorce rate is biased downwards. Since the difference is very small, then the evidence suggest atheists have a higher divorce rate than Christians.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:00 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,444,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
My belief is normal..It is not really that stringent...My concept of God is forever changing and evolving...being human - I am filled with doubt also...Then I learn something...things are revealed and wisdom increases..The difference is that I am OPEN to on going learning for eternity. Some days God is so far away that he is non- existent..then as mentioned - I observe something in nature for example and understand from another perspective or attitude...any one who lives in this miracle - in the cosmos on this speck of dust who has made their mind up that something is impossible - restricts them selves no differently than a dogmatic religious person..."Pretty telling" ? - I see this is s contest for you on who is RIGHT...I don't complete thank you.
But you just called those who hold opposite beliefs "not very intelligent," - and then claim you're open to on going learning?

Rather than criticize and dismissing them (with your "not very intelligent" comment) - try engaging them. That's how people learn and grow.

What you're doing is internal dialogue. You're debating with yourself - the problem with that is a person is only capable of seeing things from their perspective. Choosing that path, is the definition of closed mindedness.

Open up, have some conviction in your faith, and don't be afraid to engage others.

Many Atheists would kill for a civil debate, and the opportunity to learn and grow.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:08 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,383 times
Quote:
Open up, have some conviction in your faith, and don't be afraid to engage others.

Many Atheists would kill for a civil debate, and the opportunity to learn and grow.
And many atheists are not open to a civil debate either. I have plenty of questions from both Christian and atheists that are not answered. You can get very negative reactions from some atheists when you ask them difficult questions.

I will define myself as an agnostic btw.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:22 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times
Quote:
Oh, you mean where women are suppose to marry their rapist, and where multiple women get taken up in polygamist marriages?

Or do you mean the killing of those who are unfaithful?

Because THOSE are the actual biblical "christian like values" the bible actually espouses.

"Good" values aren't taught by the bible or religion - they're generally innate.

I mean, every time you do something good - do you stop before hand and think "Is this something good as defined by my understanding of the bible?" - or do you just act on it?

If you just "act on it" - it proves it's innate and independent of religion.

Most of us Atheists, just "act on it" - and have done plenty of good. I work in healthcare and have dedicated my life towards helping others. I donate money, I go WAY out of my way towards helping others, and have sacrificed very much to do so.

Going back on topic:

I would be completely offended if I met a women I liked, who seemed like a good match, then all of a sudden received the cold shoulder with a "Sorry - but you're not a Christian, I don't want to see you any more."

Are you kidding me!?

You're placing - time spent sitting in a pew - over the actual QUALITY of the person - and that doesn't seem odd to you?

I'm going to let out a secret, I've never told any one before. Every year, since I was about 16, I try to do one very nice, anonymous deed for someone. I tell nobody, I don't let them know - I simply just do it and leave. After those 3 sentences, I will never state it again - I'll just go on doing it.

I believe I'm a good person, I'm not a cheater in relationships, and literally every single day - I help others.

To be told I'm not *good enough* for somebody because I don't spend my time sitting in a pew listening to someone interpret their version of the bible - I would find very offensive, and hugely ignorant.
Every religion is different like every atheist but a true Christian is someone who lives that way every day. No I won't date an atheist and it's nothing personal because we would clash.

It's good to help others and that is something everyone should do. Many people both Christians and non don't do it and it bothers me.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:24 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Very true. Look at who started this topic. I've been posting on message boards for 13 years and I would never start a topic like this.

IDDY is doing selective reading...
Not at all. The OP claimed atheists got mad because she didn't want to date them and of course the anti Christians come in and say things like Christians follow ridiculous rules and Christians are this and that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships