Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 08:19 AM

706 posts, read 1,204,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Yes. Being dominate/alpha does not have to mean a-hole. It can mean assertive, confident, intelligent, and persuasive.

Think of some great leaders throughout history. Not just in the U.S. but even world leaders or ancient rulers. MANY of them all had a wife who stood by and supported them, that they also treated with respect and dignity.

Alpha does not have to mean a-hole, and it also does not have to mean disrespectful.

Very true. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 08:27 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat247 View Post
Do you think that SOME men that ACT or exhibit dominate/alpha male tendencies are mostly insecure on the inside but show the world a mask of confidence?
Yes absolutely.

SOME of them are exactly like that.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:30 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Any man can treat women with respect. But respect is earned, not assumed because of what you have between your legs. This isnt gender specific, and applies to men as well. When i meet someone new, my assumption always is that they are worthy of respect. Their actions from that point on, tell me if my assumption was correct or not, and i adjust my actions/attitude/opinion towards that person based on that.

Very good. Ladies pay attention. If you are not getting the respect and treatment that you want then the guy you are with most likely doesn't see you as a woman that deserves his best. Very simple. Present yourself as a classy intelligent woman and you will be treated like one regardless of the man. Present yourself as an insecure..stuck up.....overly sexual woman and you will also be treated as such.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:31 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Many put up a front for protection from the world.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:31 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
On the other hand, it is entirely possible to be a type-A personality, decisive, fill the traditional husband/father/head of the home role, and still value his wife's input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Any man can treat women with respect. But respect is earned, not assumed because of what you have between your legs. This isnt gender specific, and applies to men as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post

Think of some great leaders throughout history. Not just in the U.S. but even world leaders or ancient rulers. MANY of them all had a wife who stood by and supported them, that they also treated with respect and dignity.

Alpha does not have to mean a-hole, and it also does not have to mean disrespectful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
As others have said, it depends on your definition of alpha male.

A true alpha male absolutely treats everyone with respect.

My boss is the urban dictionary definition of alpha male but thinks he's the traditional kind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
How a man treats his woman has no bearing on whether he is an alpha male or a beta male. If he loves and cares for her he will treat her as she wants to be treated. The whole world can think he is one thing and a certain way with people, but with the woman he loves he can be totally different.

Everybody makes perfect sense!!

Old 07-03-2013, 08:38 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
If a man is a natural born alpha male, the woman by his side is most likely going to be a very strong woman. He'll pick someone to stand by his side and rule with him, not a doormat.

He will not feel threatened by his woman, if she happens to have opinions or has activities or projects of her own.

The men around him will follow him because he is a natural born leader, not because he is a bully.

The "alpha male" who is a user and an abuser is not really an alpha. He is some ******* who is pretending to be an alpha and mistakenly thinking that if he is a self-centered, inconsiderate bully that he will be at the top of the food chain. His actions are either what he thinks are tough or else what some internet guru has told him is alpha behavior.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:47 AM

2,386 posts, read 3,268,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If a man is a natural born alpha male, the woman by his side is most likely going to be a very strong woman. He'll pick someone to stand by his side and rule with him, not a doormat.

He will not feel threatened by his woman, if she happens to have opinions or has activities or projects of her own.

The men around him will follow him because he is a natural born leader, not because he is a bully.

The "alpha male" who is a user and an abuser is not really an alpha. He is some ******* who is pretending to be an alpha and mistakenly thinking that if he is a self-centered, inconsiderate bully that he will be at the top of the food chain. His actions are either what he thinks are tough or else what some internet guru has told him is alpha behavior.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:54 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
My cousin is one of the most dominant alpha males I know. Other men defer to him just instinctively. He's not aggressive or anything like that - just very self-assured and confident, while being very self-controlled and respectful. He just has a very powerful presence. His wife is his equal partner in everything, though she really does not have a very dominant personality - but she is very practical, intelligent and disciplined. They defer to each other based on each other's skill sets and knowledge bases, which are very different, and operate as a well-oiled machine because of it.

My favorite ex - another highly alpha male - and I functioned very much the same way. If a guy feels he needs to be "the leader" all the time, he is not a leader or an alpha. Just an insecure control freak.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:20 AM

17,869 posts, read 20,988,473 times
Another Alpha male thread?

Harvey Birdman Alpha male - YouTube

Old 07-03-2013, 10:34 AM

175 posts, read 275,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Yes absolutely.

SOME of them are exactly like that.
I know someonewho you could call an a##hole alpha male. Never wrong, always right, very argumentative, voices his opinions very openly. Talks down to people & about them behind their backs. If you disagree with his opinion he basically thinks your an idiot, if you stand up to him he gets uber aggressive. Basically acts like the big man/hard man all the time.

He's also slept with over 40 woman, onto his 8th LTR now I think.....could never understand what women saw in him but I guess its the fact he's extremely dominant and definitely not shy. He's treated the majority of them as doormats or just purely for sex. Not so much now but he also frequently boasts about his sexual conquests often giving graphic details of how he picked her up and what went on behind closed doors. He slept with 4 different woman in 1 day & has had quite a few threesomes which even though I dislike him is pretty impressive. All of his LTR's have ended up as complete train wrecks where more often than not its his fault or he comes out of it looking the worst. Yet despite all this I've always thought that he's very insecure, not sure about what though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships