Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 09:09 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phili80 View Post
(a) - personality (how well you get along and click)
(b) - attraction (physical looks)
(c) - good heart (how caring and loyal one is)
(d) - ability to provide (education/job/work ethic)

Please state if you are a woman or man if it's not obvious from you user name. But I'd be interested to know how you would divide up 100 points between the above attributes with respect to evaluating serious, long-term partner?

(a) 35 I think personality and enjoying each other's company is #1. My hubby is my best friend.
(b) 15
(c) 30
(d) 20

All of the above 100% both ways, balanced, a partnership, none more important than the others alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 09:11 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
a) 50
b) 40
c) 5
d) 5

C and D are really a part of personality anyway.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:19 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
(a) 2
(b) 1
(c) 4
(d) 3

Old 07-04-2013, 07:13 AM

85 posts, read 134,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
a) 50
b) 40
c) 5
d) 5

C and D are really a part of personality anyway.
I consider A personality how fun some someone is, how much you enjoy their company, how much you have in common, etc. One can be all these things but not be warm, loyal or overly caring about you. Nor could they have a strong career or work ethic to improve themselves professionally. I hear what you are saying but I guess its just different dimensions of one's personality that I'm trying to isolate.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:34 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
IMHO, personality, a caring heart and strong work ethic are certainly desirable.

But without B, which I consider to include a chemical attraction and not just physical appearance, then what you have is a very, very good FRIEND.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:04 PM

361 posts, read 725,188 times
Surely everyone has specific things that they are looking for in a partner but personally, I don't like to set up a list to go by.

Sometimes I just laugh at some of the threads and comments here lol, how people would list the different attributes their partner should have, because usually when you really fall for someone and are "Swept-away", you sometimes don't even know the "Reason" you love that person. You forget about "the list".

Old 07-04-2013, 02:18 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,371,365 times
Quote:

Please state if you are a woman or man if it's not obvious from you user name. But I'd be interested to know how you would divide up 100 points between the above attributes with respect to evaluating serious, long-term partner?
Am female.
Can't separate/distinguish A from C, though.

49% B-
it's not the most important, yet without it I can't sustain the intimacy.
He doesn't have to be great-looking, just appealing *enough*
to my senses (including but not limited to visual aspects).

49% A/C-
if I don't like the person's insides, it matters not if I like the outsides.

2% D-
material circumstances are *nearly* immaterial in my consideration of someone.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:31 PM

1,340 posts, read 1,628,129 times
Quote:

(a) 35 I think personality and enjoying each other's company is #1. My hubby is my best friend.
(b) 15
(c) 30
(d) 20
I'm male. I'd approximately give a ratio like this:

(a) 35
(b) 20
(c) 40
(d) 5

#1. Personality matters a lot, probably scores top. However, when I talk about it, it usually involves the #3 as well, which are very important things in your spouse. I'd say that things like view on life, everyday living and other things are a crucial thing.

#2. Looks don't play much of a role but let's be honest, looks play the role to attract people's attention, after all. On top of all, being good-looking is a big plus. Do note that looks play an important role only during a first date or two. After you went through first few dates, you either accept the looks or not. Someone needs to be seriously hideous for the looks to play such an overwhelming role, but other (hygienic) roles would play a much bigger role in it.

#3. I'm more into seeking a good role-model in everyday life than anything else. I'm accomplished solidly, would like a caring person. A simple lifestyle and a simple home without some extravagant stuff. I'm more into a kind, caring and loyal person than into a "business partners". I'm doing business at my work, and I'm a different person outside of work, I'm more of a family type.

#4. I've ranked ability to provide the lowest (and significantly low indeed) because I don't think I'll need a double earner household (well... I'm not a millionaire, but I might say I'm doing decently well). However, I'd rather think of my children if anything happens, it's good to know that there's another parent who could provide if the need arises, in case of some medical problem, death, or some other terrible thing. While I wouldn't be having a problem to support someone else (and the whole family), it's really good to know that they'd be willing and be able to play such role in case of dire need, even if for just a humble living. This means that the "personality" plays a role in there again, or the #3 (loyalty/good heart).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships