Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 01:30 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Maybe there is nothing to talk about. He may not have had a relationship worth commenting on.
This. I don't have much to say about relationships, and I find talk about relationships to be extremely boring. There's so much in the world to talk about that's of much greater interest than relationships. If your guy is into science, OP, he may be the brainy type, and may prefer talking about intellectual things. And you said he's into video games? So he's on the geeky side? Go with what he likes to talk about. Talk about interests you two have in common, and enjoy your commonalities. Learn from your differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 02:28 PM

93 posts, read 234,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faxton9 View Post
What does this mean? I've been dating this guy for 7 weeks now and he has never told anything about his past relationship nor mentions anything relating to relationships or what to expect in them.
Maybe he fears that talking about his past relationships would lead you to talk about yours and he would lose interest in you.

You need to develop more of a bond with him first before he can trust that he would overlook things you might've done in the past.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:40 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
nothing wrong with a quiet guy-better than a loud mouth jerk,,

in time he will lighten up, some people are introverted, or private to begin with,,,i remember when i was young, the girls were the chatterboxes,,and i was somewhat quiet/shy
they would ask "whats the matter"? when nothing was the matter...or "is something wrong"?
when there wasnt..
if you like him,,just enjoy yourself,,,,feel free to be assertive with him,,he may REALLY like you and being ultra conservative not to screw it up..

Old 07-07-2013, 06:11 PM

1,839 posts, read 3,066,623 times
Yes, I have dated someone like this. I think 7 weeks is not enough time to know if this is really something so bad. What is he like besides this? How old are you two? Do you at least have a defined relationship? I think you should at least know if you are his girlfriend, etc. Does he introduce you as his girlfriend? But if he's not comfortable talking about his past or talking a lot about your relationship, just leave it alone. Things will be revealed in time. Though I do believe you should know what the commitment expectation is. Are the two of you able to date others?

Old 07-07-2013, 09:18 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
I do not like talking about past relationships.
...And I especially do not want to hear about how the other person misses or hates their ex.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:35 PM

315 posts, read 210,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Ditto. He's introverted, and you're extroverted. This is usually a good balance. You just need to be patient with him. I'm an introvert, and it can take us time, especially around people we don't know (your parents), Introverts are better one on one once we know you, or in small groups.
Yes, sounds like he is an introvert. I'm introverted as well and my husband is extroverted (opposites do attract and it definitely can work). Also sounds like he is being really sweet and respectful and taking time to get to know you - lots of guys are definitely not this way - I'd give him a chance if I were you and you like him.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:02 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
I would thank my lucky stars if I never had to hear about anyone's ex-GF or ex-wife ever again.

"Yeah, I've had girlfriends/am divorced. Obviously we weren't right for each other, or you and I wouldn't be sitting here. Not much more to it than that." Oh, lawdie, how wonderful it would be to know the sweet, peaceful assurance of a well-adjusted man who isn't going to complain about or rag on his exes, vent his spleen, lick his wounds, or dig for details that are none of his business.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:19 PM

720 posts, read 500,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Some guys don't have any choice. Others are so busy working and going to college, there just isn't time. After they graduate, they suddenly find themselves in a more challenging dating environment, where it's more difficult to meet women, except at work, and some workplaces frown on office romances. Stick around C-D, and you'll start hearing a fair amount about guys at 24 and 25+ still trying to get that first relationship.
Absolutely. I think this is quite normal and the guys who do a lot of dating at these ages usually pursue it aggressively. If you're a guy and even a little bit passive about meeting people -- "it'll happen when it happens" -- you're probably not going to do a lot of dating at that age. For a lot of guys, it's better to use that time to establish yourself in other parts of your life. Women aren't going anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faxton9 View Post
Then why would he still be dating me and saying he likes me? If he wasn't interest in a committed relationship then it wouldn't make any sense.

At the same time I feel this is what attracts more to him, the fact that he's quiet and mysterious that you have to really break into his shell to get him to follow a longer conversation.
He's probably into you, but just take this as one man's humble opinion: don't spend too much time trying to break his shell and get to know him. It's exhausting and nine times out of ten you're going to find there isn't anything there. Don't confuse "quiet" for "boring". I'm more of an extrovert, but I enjoy my quiet and alone time, too. I don't eagerly share every thought I have or tell every personal story in my background, but I don't keep people in suspense, either. I've been told many times by people that it feels like they've known me for years, and I like making people feel like that. I don't understand the "tough nut to crack" types. Life's too short.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:25 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,360,784 times
He sounds like someone I know who dated someone close to me. He loves books, science, fairly introverted. She expected a romantic interesting partner. What she ended up with was someone who just wanted a female friend to hang out with and someone to cook for him when he went to see her.
Oh...btw...he kissed her too. That's all they did. For 20 years. She eventually "broke it off" with him.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:37 PM

106 posts, read 87,810 times
He doesn't want to date. That's my conclusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships