Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 07:18 PM

422 posts, read 447,261 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

So, there's this guy that I work with who always looks at my shoes, lol, and I'd be lying if I didn't say it weirds me out. I'd like to consider myself a fashionable person, however, I don't overdo it at work.

One day I came into work and upon seeing me he immediately shouted - "look at you all dolled up!" This particular day I had on makeup, hair curled, and wore some cute little earrings. Also, he always notices when I do something different with my hair. The other day he said - "oh you've got your hair up today".

Specifics: He is Italian. I am Black. He doesn't do this with any of the other girls (they're all beautiful and have great sense of style); I am the only Black person at my site and he is Italian as is the majority of my co-workers; He is very fashionable and takes pride in his appearance; so far, he's been very nice to me and we work well together; when we sit and talk he often stares at my lips intently and sometimes my breasts.

told me one day that I wouldn't believe the negative things that Italian people say/think/feel about Blacks but that he's "cool with Black people, gets along well with them, went to school with them, best friends growing up were Black...blah, blah, blah and doesn't want anyone to think of him as a "Guido".

So I guess my question is, most times the obvious thing to say would be "interest abounds"...but, is it possible he could be saying/doing these things perhaps because he's not used to Black women/people who take care of themselves??? Maybe he's just as racist as all of the "other" Italian people he told me about and maybe he's surprised because I don't present as the typical stereotypical Black girl?

Has anyone ever had an experience like this?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 07:23 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
He wants you.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:23 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
he probly likes you,,

guys arent the brightest at communication,,, so again,,,he's trying to give you compliments, because he likes you

Old 07-07-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
He wants you.

Thanks.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
he probly likes you,,

guys arent the brightest at communication,,, so again,,,he's trying to give you compliments, because he likes you

Oh, ok. Thanks.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:36 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeLoveNotWar View Post
Hi all,

So, there's this guy that I work with who always looks at my shoes, lol, and I'd be lying if I didn't say it weirds me out. I'd like to consider myself a fashionable person, however, I don't overdo it at work.

One day I came into work and upon seeing me he immediately shouted - "look at you all dolled up!" This particular day I had on makeup, hair curled, and wore some cute little earrings. Also, he always notices when I do something different with my hair. The other day he said - "oh you've got your hair up today".

Specifics: He is Italian. I am Black. He doesn't do this with any of the other girls (they're all beautiful and have great sense of style); I am the only Black person at my site and he is Italian as is the majority of my co-workers; He is very fashionable and takes pride in his appearance; so far, he's been very nice to me and we work well together; when we sit and talk he often stares at my lips intently and sometimes my breasts.

told me one day that I wouldn't believe the negative things that Italian people say/think/feel about Blacks but that he's "cool with Black people, gets along well with them, went to school with them, best friends growing up were Black...blah, blah, blah and doesn't want anyone to think of him as a "Guido".

So I guess my question is, most times the obvious thing to say would be "interest abounds"...but, is it possible he could be saying/doing these things perhaps because he's not used to Black women/people who take care of themselves??? Maybe he's just as racist as all of the "other" Italian people he told me about and maybe he's surprised because I don't present as the typical stereotypical Black girl?

Has anyone ever had an experience like this?

Thanks for your help.
Ugh. I would lodge a complaint about him. He's creating an uncomfortable workplace atmosphere for you. And I think your interpretation is probably correct. But in any case, he's singled you out for comments on your choice of clothing, is being inappropriate with his staring, and is making racial comments as well. He's being both sexist and racist. If you don't want to speak up to him on your own behalf, and tell him it's not acceptable in the US to stare at women and to make racial comments, ask the HR dept. to do it for you.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:41 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeLoveNotWar View Post
Hi all,

So, there's this guy that I work with who always looks at my shoes...
Maybe he has the same pair in a different color?

Old 07-07-2013, 07:45 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,988,473 times
he wants to put his junk, in your trunk.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:45 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Ugh. I would lodge a complaint about him. He's creating an uncomfortable workplace atmosphere for you. And I think your interpretation is probably correct. But in any case, he's singled you out for comments on your choice of clothing, is being inappropriate with his staring, and is making racial comments as well. He's being both sexist and racist. If you don't want to speak up to him on your own behalf, and tell him it's not acceptable in the US to stare at women and to make racial comments, ask the HR dept. to do it for you.
Woah woah there Baby Ruth.....many don't know how to react to other races. I was very awkward when I first met my Korean ex. I asked him if he was half white because he was so goodlooking. I didn't realize until later that was really ignorant of me. I had a crush on a blackman at work and I nicknamed him coco puff. Well he some how found out and told me it was ok because he called me Vanilla chocolate. Lol

Anyway my point is some men and women don't know how to react.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:48 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Woah woah there Baby Ruth.....many don't know how to react to other races. I was very awkward when I first met my Korean ex. I asked him if he was half white because he was so goodlooking. I didn't realize until later that was really ignorant of me. I had a crush on a blackman at work and I nicknamed him coco puff. Well he some how found out and told me it was ok because he called me Vanilla chocolate. Lol

Anyway my point is some men and women don't know how to react.
Well, right. Her first recourse should be to tell him these comments and stares are inappropriate in US culture. So we're giving him the benefit of the doubt, and assuming he likes her but is clumsy about the racial thing? (Not to mention the rest of it...) Somebody needs to tell him he's being inappropriate, though. If not the OP, maybe a work colleague/friend of hers. And if he doesn't change his ways, then she can consider going to HR?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships