Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 02:15 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortnblack View Post
I can understand the premise behind this advertisement. Young girls need to protect themselves from the predators. I have no problems with the gift really, but I don't think it should end there.

I would take it a step further and tell the young girl to get some wraps, gloves and hit the boxing gym. Knowing how to protect yourself, staying on your feet in fighting stance and throwing punches without getting hit in return is more important than just giving a young girl just a rape whistle.
A curdling scream has saved many being attacked. Quiet punches may not work. People know a bloody scream when they hear it. I would bet this is way more effective than trying to remember the judo moves you were taught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 05:03 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Most people have trouble aiming a gun to begin with - that's why cops are required to repeatedly pass shooting accuracy tests. You're suggesting that your average civilian woman should learn to aim her gun while it's at the bottom of her purse? Seriously?

And just locating a gun in your purse and getting an appropriate grip would be time lost. You'd be better served by a brick at the bottom that you could swing at the guy.

Mostly when I have read about abductions and assaults, the women had no time to react until the man was already right up in their faces. In the vast majority of incidents of this nature, a woman would have had no time to use her weapon. And you can't exactly be pre-emptive about using a gun - unless someone offers an overt threat before you pull a gun on them, you're the one facing charges.
Hence the comment about practicing with your gun, as training is key to surviving. Practicing means having the gun in an easy place to grab where your hand just slides onto the grip. No need to aim, just point in the direction of the attacker and shoot. The sound alone will likely make him pause if you didn't hit him. If he's up in your face, his hands will likely be trying to restrain you and stifling a scream. while your hand should be reaching into the purse and pulling the trigger, waist level, out of direct vision. I'd rather be facing charges than the one dead with the police having no clue as to who the murderer is.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:20 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
This sounds more useful to a young girl/teen than a whistle for sure.
I bought those for my Mom and sister years ago! Something that incapacitates and can be used from a distance.

I have no idea what a whistle would do.... I could here one of those and just think it's kids playing.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-08-2013, 06:29 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,813,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
Better to invest the money that would have gone toward the whistle for some shooting range time and deadly force instruction if the woman is 21 and up, a boiling pepper spray gun with 20 feet plus range if under 21.

The noise from a gun firing at the predator's chest is a greater deterrent than a whistle.

Let us not forget that men can be victims of attempted rape too.

Peer reviewed, primary source data indicates that THE MOST EFFECTIVE RESISTANCE AGAINST RAPE IS PRODUCING A FIREARM. I will post the peer reviewed studies in 3 to 4 hours when I get home.

Okay here are the sources I was talking about: Resistance with a firearm is the most effective resistance against rape

When a person resists a rapist with a gun, the probability of completion is 0.1 percent and of victim injury 0.0 percent, compared to 31 percent and 40 percent, respectively, for all rapes. Another primary source analyzed victim resistance to violent crimes generally, with robbery, aggravated assault and rape considered together. Women who resisted with a gun were 2.5 times more likely to escape without injury than those who did not resist and 4 times more likely to escape uninjured than those who resisted with any means other than a gun. Similarly, their property losses in a robbery were reduced more than six-fold and almost three-fold, respectively, compared to the other categories of resistance strategy.

Two more primary sources show that women who resist rape with a gun dramatically decrease the probability of completion, and that resistance with a gun against a rapist statistically is the most effective form of resistance without creating risk of other injuries for the person who was the target of the rape.

Primary sources:

Fischhoff, Baruch, Lita Furby, and Marcia Morgan. "Rape Prevention A Typology of Strategies." Journal of Interpersonal Violence 2.3 (1987): 292-308.

Kleck, Gary, and Susan Sayles. "Rape and resistance." Social Problems (1990): 149-162.

Lizotte, Alan J. "Determinants of completing rape and assault." Journal of Quantitative Criminology 2.3 (1986): 203-217.

Rice, Marnie E., Grant T. Harris, and Vernon L. Quinsey. "A follow-up of rapists assessed in a maximum-security psychiatric facility." Journal of interpersonal violence 5.4 (1990): 435-448.

Southwick, Lawrence. "Self-defense with guns: The consequences." Journal of Criminal Justice 28.5 (2000): 351-370.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:50 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
It's not women. It's society.

The myth that rape is something done to you by strangers in alleys is popular because it absolves everyone else of responsibility.
It does happen though. While a lot of rapes are committed by someone the victim knows or has met, the idea that stranger-rapes on the street never happen is equally mythical.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:30 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Quote:
Okay here are the sources I was talking about: Resistance with a firearm is the most effective resistance against rape

When a person resists a rapist with a gun, the probability of completion is 0.1 percent and of victim injury 0.0 percent, compared to 31 percent and 40 percent, respectively, for all rapes. Another primary source analyzed victim resistance to violent crimes generally, with robbery, aggravated assault and rape considered together. Women who resisted with a gun were 2.5 times more likely to escape without injury than those who did not resist and 4 times more likely to escape uninjured than those who resisted with any means other than a gun. Similarly, their property losses in a robbery were reduced more than six-fold and almost three-fold, respectively, compared to the other categories of resistance strategy.

Two more primary sources show that women who resist rape with a gun dramatically decrease the probability of completion, and that resistance with a gun against a rapist statistically is the most effective form of resistance without creating risk of other injuries for the person who was the target of the rape.

Primary sources:

Fischhoff, Baruch, Lita Furby, and Marcia Morgan. "Rape Prevention A Typology of Strategies." Journal of Interpersonal Violence 2.3 (1987): 292-308.

Kleck, Gary, and Susan Sayles. "Rape and resistance." Social Problems (1990): 149-162.

Lizotte, Alan J. "Determinants of completing rape and assault." Journal of Quantitative Criminology 2.3 (1986): 203-217.

Rice, Marnie E., Grant T. Harris, and Vernon L. Quinsey. "A follow-up of rapists assessed in a maximum-security psychiatric facility." Journal of interpersonal violence 5.4 (1990): 435-448.

Southwick, Lawrence. "Self-defense with guns: The consequences." Journal of Criminal Justice 28.5 (2000): 351-370.

What you fail to note is whether those studies covered attacks in the home (where a gun definitely can be a benefit) or attacks perpetrated outside the home, where the victim is not on her home territory and likely has less warning that an attack is imminent.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Hence the comment about practicing with your gun, as training is key to surviving. Practicing means having the gun in an easy place to grab where your hand just slides onto the grip. No need to aim, just point in the direction of the attacker and shoot. The sound alone will likely make him pause if you didn't hit him. If he's up in your face, his hands will likely be trying to restrain you and stifling a scream. while your hand should be reaching into the purse and pulling the trigger, waist level, out of direct vision. I'd rather be facing charges than the one dead with the police having no clue as to who the murderer is.
The odds of ending up dead due to an attack like this are pretty low. The odds of a woman of my age being sexually assaulted are also quite low. Our country is ridiculously safe, and unless you live in a high-crime area (I grew up near Philly and Trenton, so I am familiar with the dangers of those cities and am well-versed in maintaining vigilance), using common sense and maintaining awareness of your surroundings is adequate precaution. Given how I live my life, ending up in a scenario such as the ones you are describing is basically the statistical equivalent of winning the lottery. I do not support complacency in any regard, but the hassles and possible drawbacks of concealed carry far outweigh the possible benefits in a highly unlikely scenario. I'm not one of those people who thinks it could "never happen to them," but there is no getting around the fact that the statistical probability of such an attack is extremely low. I'm comfortable playing the odds.

Sexual assault is quite common, but the vast majority of cases involve assaults by people who had already gained the victim's trust or situations where the attacker had the upper hand from the beginning.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:20 AM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
What you fail to note is whether those studies covered attacks in the home (where a gun definitely can be a benefit) or attacks perpetrated outside the home, where the victim is not on her home territory and likely has less warning that an attack is imminent.
Thank you for raising this point. Unless you're walking around with your gun in your hand, is your attacker going to wait for you to fish around in your purse to get your gun and point it at them? Maybe I don't understand because Canada doesn't have the gun culture the US does.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:50 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,813,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Thank you for raising this point. Unless you're walking around with your gun in your hand, is your attacker going to wait for you to fish around in your purse to get your gun and point it at them? Maybe I don't understand because Canada doesn't have the gun culture the US does.
You should never, ever, carry a primary gun in an "off body" holster such as in a purse. A gun isn't a substitute or excuse for ignoring other aspects of self defense, such as general awareness of the people around you, potential hiding spots, training depth perception, knowledge of the law, etc.

Part of this is the "21 feet" rule. You should always be aware of anyone within 21 feet of you, because they can close that distance in 2.5 seconds on average.

You have to practice and practice until you can draw and fire from the hip in less than 2.5 seconds.

If you want to resist without a gun, you are free to do so, but the odds do not favor you, as the peer-reviewed scientific evidence as demonstrated.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
You should never, ever, carry a primary gun in an "off body" holster such as in a purse. A gun isn't a substitute or excuse for ignoring other aspects of self defense, such as general awareness of the people around you, potential hiding spots, training depth perception, knowledge of the law, etc.

Part of this is the "21 feet" rule. You should always be aware of anyone within 21 feet of you, because they can close that distance in 2.5 seconds on average.

You have to practice and practice until you can draw and fire from the hip in less than 2.5 seconds.

If you want to resist without a gun, you are free to do so, but the odds do not favor you, as the peer-reviewed scientific evidence as demonstrated.
Again - does the peer-reviewed evidence that you cite refer to in-home attacks or attacks in public spaces?

And what kind of world are you actually promoting here? Everyone wandering around with a gun strapped to them, wondering if they have to draw on anyone who can get at them in 2.5 seconds? Seriously?

Maybe we can change the name of the country from the United States of America to "Deadwood."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships