Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 12:39 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I have Concealed Carry Permit.

I'm getting ready to have a conceal and carry in two states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 12:48 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
I realize that ideally, one prevents an assault from happening in the first place. Nonetheless, I love the thought of these:

Anti-Rape Condoms (PICTURE): Will Jagged Teeth Deter World Cup Sex Assaults? Rape-aXe Hopes So - HealthPop - CBS News

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Women have been known to tell the perpetrator they have AIDS and other STD's.
Even rapists will deflate if you pee or defecate on them. I've heard and read that promoted as a defense against date rape more than once.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:59 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Maybe we can change the name of the country from the United States of America to "Deadwood."

Old 07-11-2013, 03:36 PM

332 posts, read 868,006 times
I think a rape whistle is the dumbest thing ever. At friends workplace they gave everyone rape whistles because of the amount of homeless men and weird men that got in the building without permission. Stupidest thing ever. So no don't get a rape whistle cause you are dead if that whistle gets slapped out of your hand.

Most secure thing is to just carry a utility knife and not be alone in bad or scary places. I'm not sure if a 5 foot tall woman that weights 120 pounds can defeat any guy even if they train in kickbox. Guns could work against you if you're not properly trained.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortnblack View Post
I can understand the premise behind this advertisement. Young girls need to protect themselves from the predators. I have no problems with the gift really, but I don't think it should end there.

I would take it a step further and tell the young girl to get some wraps, gloves and hit the boxing gym. Knowing how to protect yourself, staying on your feet in fighting stance and throwing punches without getting hit in return is more important than just giving a young girl just a rape whistle.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,982 times
What a stupid commerial that serves no purpose. Is anyone unaware that rape exits? How does this commerical help people provent it?

It appears that this woman's group is revealing in being victims. Are all women simply victims from birth? I understand that women live with the threat of rape daily but that is not something to simply point out in an PSA. Would we have an ad where we give a child wheelchair because there is a good chance they will be hit by a car???? How does that stop drunk driving?

Is there a single women that feels safer that the ad was made? A single male that is capable of rape watching the commercial and thinks.... Hey maybe I shouldn't.

This is shocking for the sake of shock.

Well take notice to what happen to the environmental media campaigns ..... You go to just shock for attention... It wares off and people stop listening to the message. It only has a short term effect. The people resent the message.... And you empower detractors.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:12 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,157,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cra2ybeautiful View Post
I think a rape whistle is the dumbest thing ever. At friends workplace they gave everyone rape whistles because of the amount of homeless men and weird men that got in the building without permission. Stupidest thing ever. So no don't get a rape whistle cause you are dead if that whistle gets slapped out of your hand.

Most secure thing is to just carry a utility knife and not be alone in bad or scary places. I'm not sure if a 5 foot tall woman that weights 120 pounds can defeat any guy even if they train in kickbox. Guns could work against you if you're not properly trained.
For the most part I agree, martial arts is seriously overrated in real life situations (and that's coming from someone who practices martial arts). The level of training it would take to execute complex movements in an adrenaline pumping fight in a dark parking lot puts it beyond the reach of most people who don't have time to train every day for years on end.

The knife can be brutally effective, which is of course also its problem. Even in seemingly clear cut cases of self defense, you can still be found liable for excessive force, especially if the attacker dies (unless of course you're shooting unarmed teens in Florida, in which case you get a free ride apparently.)

Personally I recommend a can of pepper spray. It may not seem effective on paper but after one second it seriously debilitates any attacker, regardless of size or even desperation. It doesn't matter how doped up you are or how tolerant to pain you are if literally can't see. It's why it's preferable to a stun gun which can be "muscled" through.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:07 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
What else scares you?

Old 08-10-2013, 06:24 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,307,468 times
Instead of whistles, guns, or pepper spray, I've heard more recently about carrying insecticides such as hornet spray. Cheaper, not illegal, and accurate up to 12-20 feet. There's also lemon juice, as found in those small round plastic containers in the supermarket. Any sprays can get in a defender's eyes, but these sprays lend themselves to ease of use and are not unlawful to carry.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:50 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,982,492 times
awesome, another gun control thread, with a side of rape

did anyone else think of the movie "the other guys" when they saw the thread title. friggen love the part where michael keaton takes away will ferrell's wooden pistol and gives him a rape whistle!

Old 08-11-2013, 11:32 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Again - does the peer-reviewed evidence that you cite refer to in-home attacks or attacks in public spaces?

And what kind of world are you actually promoting here? Everyone wandering around with a gun strapped to them, wondering if they have to draw on anyone who can get at them in 2.5 seconds? Seriously?

Maybe we can change the name of the country from the United States of America to "Deadwood."
I know. To some people the whole world is Baghdad I guess. The role firearms should play in society is such a tiring debate and I don't even wan't to encourage it's discussion because I find it just that tedious and obnoxious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships