Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 02:44 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
It's not women. It's society.

The myth that rape is something done to you by strangers in alleys is popular because it absolves everyone else of responsibility. We don't have to police the behaviour of our friends or relations or those nice young men on the football team -- because no-one you know would ever be a rapist!
I have looked at the data.

First of 33% of all rapes are done by total strangers. 17.3% are done on the street or in a garage. Thats not a small minority.

But lets dig in deeper. Just because you know who they are, does not mean you are well known to him. Among the well known and relative it is only 46%.
Rape and Sexual Assault Statistics Report

That means the majority of rapes are done by soneone you don't know that well. That could be the creep who has shown a lot of interest in you lately, it could be an acquaintance at a party or just a total stranger on the street. It is not silly for women to protect herself against stranger rape. Especially in the areas where the rape rate is high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 11:40 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,600,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortnblack View Post
I can understand the premise behind this advertisement. Young girls need to protect themselves from the predators. I have no problems with the gift really, but I don't think it should end there.

I would take it a step further and tell the young girl to get some wraps, gloves and hit the boxing gym. Knowing how to protect yourself, staying on your feet in fighting stance and throwing punches without getting hit in return is more important than just giving a young girl just a rape whistle.
Personally, (and I'm starting a fight saying this), I think the Second Amendment comes in handy for this situation.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:43 AM

30,995 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Atoms View Post
Instead of whistles, guns, or pepper spray, I've heard more recently about carrying insecticides such as hornet spray. Cheaper, not illegal, and accurate up to 12-20 feet. There's also lemon juice, as found in those small round plastic containers in the supermarket. Any sprays can get in a defender's eyes, but these sprays lend themselves to ease of use and are not unlawful to carry.
And in the case of Lemon juice, it environmentally friendly and a great antioxident
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships