Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 02:35 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
It's NOT ABOUT ROMANCE. It's about everyday life. Unattractive women are more likely to be overlooked in every aspect of it. Men have this problem too to a certain degree if they are unattractive, but it is much more acute with women. What Dustin Hoffman talked about in that interview is backed up by scientific studies.
For example, Dustin Hoffman is a successful actor, but were he a woman who looked like Tootsie she would not get the same kind of juicy leading roles or the same kind of respect that Dustin gets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 02:38 PM

11,784 posts, read 12,020,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I think he was already married when he had this epiphany - so it's not about how it changed his romantic life but how it changed his understanding of what it's like to be a woman.
Yes. He mention about being brainwashed, and how he's missed out on knowing many wonderful women over the course of his lifetime because of focusing only on someone's outer layer.

What you look like should never take precedence over who you are, but that's not the society we live in. Many years ago, Dove started the Campaign for Real Beauty, and I applaud their efforts, but sadly, it's not enough. Not when we're saturated in the media with 18 year olds being held up as perfection and what the ideal woman's body should look like.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:42 PM

896 posts, read 1,176,725 times
Quote:
I think he was already married when he had this epiphany - so it's not about how it changed his romantic life but how it changed his understanding of what it's like to be a woman.
No, it changed his understanding of what it's like to be a specific type of woman. Women are not a monolith. We are individuals with a variety of experiences in life.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:44 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
That was very interesting. They actually incorporated some of those issues into the movie.

I always enjoy his interviews. Not to mention his acting.

Like Chowhound said, it's really funny you posted that because we just watched the movie again. I can't count how many times I've seen it. I used to watch it over and over on "ON TV" back in the olden days, LOL.
Mrs. Chow??

Old 07-09-2013, 02:50 PM

884 posts, read 1,405,340 times
I never felt like an unattractive woman.

Then again, I never felt like an attractive woman.

Heck, I never felt like a woman.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:03 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,154,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousVox View Post
No, it changed his understanding of what it's like to be a specific type of woman. Women are not a monolith. We are individuals with a variety of experiences in life.
You're missing the point. But I think you are determined to miss the point - so there's no point in pointing that out to you. But I thought I'd point it out anyway.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:08 PM

896 posts, read 1,176,725 times
Quote:
You're missing the point. But I think you are determined to miss the point - so there's no point in pointing that out to you. But I thought I'd point it out anyway.
Perhaps I prefer to take the discussion in my own direction which is how internet forums work? People may respond to me, they may ignore me, or they may make points of their own. This isn't a blog, it's an open discussion. That's the way things work.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:14 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,640,523 times
That was nice. The movie was good, but it would have been even better if they had him fall in love with an ugly woman.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousVox View Post

I think it would be interesting to put up pictures of the woman Hoffman dated since 1982 when the movie came out. I'd like to know whether he dated any who looked like himself in drag, or over weight, etc etc.
I guess you missed it in the interview and in my previous post - but he was married when he made the film. He references talking to his wife in his interview. He's been married to the same woman since 1980.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
That was nice. The movie was good, but it would have been even better if they had him fall in love with an ugly woman.
That's a very rare thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships