Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 03:18 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,615,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
That was nice. The movie was good, but it would have been even better if they had him fall in love with an ugly woman.
This is a very interesting point... how often in movies do you see an unattractive women 'getting' the good looking guy as opposed to the unattractive man 'getting' the good looking woman? I think it would be interesting to see a movie where Melissa McCarthy (and don't get me wrong, I think she's gorgeous) gets a guy like Channing Tatum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 03:22 PM

19,362 posts, read 15,217,290 times
There's a point in the movie where he's lamenting to his roommate (Bill Murray) about how difficult it is to "be" a woman, and he says something like, "I just wish I could make her prettier, you know? She deserves it." So it's kind of funny to hear him say that he was actually struggling with that himself as the actor playing the role.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:41 PM

30,987 posts, read 22,039,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
This is a very interesting point... how often in movies do you see an unattractive women 'getting' the good looking guy as opposed to the unattractive man 'getting' the good looking woman? I think it would be interesting to see a movie where Melissa McCarthy (and don't get me wrong, I think she's gorgeous) gets a guy like Channing Tatum.
You have a point, ala 'King of Queens', but it does happen in the real world all the time. There are plenty of attractive bigger women with good looking husbands and boyfriends. I know a woman, who works at the bank I use who looks a lot like McCarthy. She has a picture on her desk of her husband and he is a very good looking guy.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:50 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,154,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
You have a point, ala 'King of Queens', but it does happen in the real world all the time. There are plenty of attractive bigger women with good looking husbands and boyfriends. I know a woman, who works at the bank I use who looks a lot like McCarthy. She has a picture on her desk of her husband and he is a very good looking guy.
I've seen it in real life some - but not as often as the other way around. But it's exceedingly rare for it to happen in a movie or a TV show. If it does - then it's all about the "ugly" girl getting the "hot" guy - and not just about the love or romance or whatever. But I have to admit - when I was younger (meaning like 12 years old), I pretty much wanted everyone in the movies to be good looking. I got upset in Little Women when Jo fell for the older, unattractive professor! Now - I LOVE that she falls for him and he doesn't seem unattractive to me at all!

Old 07-09-2013, 03:51 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,936,325 times
Quote:
It's more because WOMEN hate when that happens, they get mad and haterish that a hot guy is going for such an ugly woman, possibly on a subconscious level. Also people like their films to at least be somewhat credible. The only movie I can think of where the ugly girl gets the hot guy is My Big Fat Greek Wedding and thats because she made herself over and even though shes still busted compared to him, she at least looks better than she did and in the film's universe, shes supposed to be way better looking.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:54 PM

102,180 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
There's a point in the movie where he's lamenting to his roommate (Bill Murray) about how difficult it is to "be" a woman, and he says something like, "I just wish I could make her prettier, you know? She deserves it." So it's kind of funny to hear him say that he was actually struggling with that himself as the actor playing the role.
I think the fact that it came up when he was preparing for the role and getting made up for that role is what motivated him to put that scene in the film.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
It's more because WOMEN hate when that happens, they get mad and haterish that a hot guy is going for such an ugly woman, possibly on a subconscious level. Also people like their films to at least be somewhat credible. The only movie I can think of where the ugly girl gets the hot guy is My Big Fat Greek Wedding and thats because she made herself over and even though shes still busted compared to him, she at least looks better than she did and in the film's universe, shes supposed to be way better looking.
That could definitely be part of it..but that's only because women are judged entirely on what they look like. Nearly all of a woman's worth is tied up in how attractive she is to others, and to see a stereotypical unattractive woman succeed where the attractive woman may not is a blow to her self esteem.

You also bring up an excellent point in which a previously 'unattractive' woman will get the man IF she gets prettier in the process. She has to have a makeover, lose weight, do her hair differently, get rid of her glasses/ponytail/paint splattered overalls () and THEN and only then will the guy be interested in her. I always hated those movies.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:00 PM

102,180 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
You also bring up an excellent point in which a previously 'unattractive' woman will get the man IF she gets prettier in the process. She has to have a makeover, lose weight, do her hair differently, get rid of her glasses/ponytail/paint splattered overalls () and THEN and only then will the guy be interested in her. I always hated those movies.
Yeah, imagine if they made movies that demonstrated deeper values, instead of superficial cr@p. The world might never be the same again.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yeah, imagine if they made movies that demonstrated deeper values, instead of superficial cr@p. The world might never be the same again.
Which is why I stick to horror films and anything involving comic books.

Problem solved.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:08 PM

19,362 posts, read 15,217,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think the fact that it came up when he was preparing for the role and getting made up for that role is what motivated him to put that scene in the film.
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. It was just interesting to hear, now, about the behind-the-scenes stuff that went into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships