Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 01:28 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,640,523 times

Advertisements

For some reason only the good memories come back to me when I listen to music. Other things trigger bad memories, but not music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 03:16 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,443,487 times
Same here...music is a happy place for me

Now if I am sad I can certainly find sad songs to wallow in...but that is a rarity for me to do.

Music is my drug

Old 07-10-2013, 03:25 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,420,534 times
When you're happy you enjoy the music.
When you're sad, you understand the lyrics.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:19 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,994,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Looking for sadness are you? Sadness is optional. Look for music that reminds you of joyful times and emotions. Change the story of your life.
I wasn't looking for sadness. In fact, when I think back on those times, I am actually overcome with a sense of relief that I never married that girl. So I'm not looking for sadness. Still, songs from a certain artist can trigger memories, and not all of them are good. Life is good now, hence the feeling of relief over avoiding what might have been.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:32 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,716,429 times
Default Sad Songs

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I wasn't looking for sadness. In fact, when I think back on those times, I am actually overcome with a sense of relief that I never married that girl. So I'm not looking for sadness. Still, songs from a certain artist can trigger memories, and not all of them are good. Life is good now, hence the feeling of relief over avoiding what might have been.
I may be unusual...not that I am happy-happy. However, I only remember songs that have associated with happy moments. Of course, i listen to sad songs: "Everybody Hurts".

Old 07-10-2013, 09:56 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,123,200 times
It brings back mostly good memories for me personally. Guns and Roses "Appetite for destruction" songs especially. Memories of listening to the tape on a beat up Walkman with my long hair and motorcycle jacket. I can recall Pearl Jams "Black" as being a song that ai played when my first ever girlfriend broke up with me, but I was a kid basically and its not a really painful memory so many years later.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:27 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Do you ever hear a song and it takes you back to a place and time you'd rather forget? I certainly do.

What songs do it for you? For me it's just about anything from Sade. I had this girlfriend about 12 years ago and she loved Sade. Next thing you know I listened to Sade because my girlfriend listened to her. We often listened to her "together."

So when I heard "Your Love is King" in the grocery store the other day, a bunch of memories came rushing in. Hadn't heard (or at least, noticed) the song in years. And while the "Sade" phase of my relationship with this girl was the good part, this relationship turned toxic and volatile in time. Hearing our music sort of made me glad we didn't last. I'm a lot better off with the woman I have now.
Music is an extremely powerful force in my life.

Fortunately I have more good memories associated with older songs/music, but there are some songs I just cannot listen to without being taken right back to the gut wrenching feelings I was having back when they were first playing.

Additionally, when I've had something really sad, upsetting or emotionally draining happen to me I cannot listen to music AT ALL - sometimes for weeks or months.

Even uplifting music is like fingernails on a chalk board when I am grieving something.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:06 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,708,359 times
"Always and Forever" by Heatwave

During the marriage, this was "our" song.

Holy crap! It just started to play on the radio!!!!! Sheesh!

Old 07-10-2013, 11:09 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,640,523 times
I love sad songs!!!!

I just don't have any that I associate with memories. The sadness is more of an "in the moment" thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships