Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2013, 03:53 PM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Eh, like I said, I may not agree with the whole 'short guys are inherently unattractive' because I know A LOT of short men who do perfectly fine with dating. One of the biggest crushes I ever had was on my 5'4 friend and he wouldn't give me the time of day because he had a ton of women after him. Do shorter men have more difficult? Probably. Who am I to say? I'm a ridiculously tall woman so MOST people are short to me.

I just get sick of every single thread on here turning into a 'short men have it soooo bad' thread.
The short-guys-finish-last thing is a myth. Real life observation proves that over and over. If any short guys are having problems, it's not because of their height.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 03:55 PM

39,044 posts, read 27,462,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post

The wife of Will Smith would be one example. In Black-America she does not have the more curvy, larger butt, body type that would attract a lot of men to her. She would not even be rated as "average." She would fall in the "below average" looks for a black woman for most black males.

I respectfully disagree with you. I think you posted a less than flattering picture of Jade Pinkett on purpose. To me personally, she is quite a beautiful lady.

http://www.bio27.com/imgg/Jada+Smith.jpeg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/...12_634x812.jpg

http://static.globalgrind.com/sites/...ook-sexy_0.jpg

I know a lot of African American men prefer larger butt. I also know a lot of African American men prefer slender look. My brother is obviously a mixed Asian man who has modeled for fitness magazine a while ago. He prefers Jade Pinkett and Vanessa Williams over Beyonce. I've dated three black men in the past when I was in college, (college football players, big buff beautiful black men) they all believed Jade Pinkett was beautiful although they might not like her attitude.

Who gets to decide who is average looking, below average looking, or beautiful? Beauty is highly subjective.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:57 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,961,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
I dont really get this men care so much mroe about looks then women thing its just not true..try being a guy under 5'9 online and see how many even overweight or unattratcive women want nothing to do with you
I'm a guy under 5'9" (5'7" as I stated earlier) and I never had a problem getting a date before I was married. Like so many of the women here have stated, the whole package matters. I'm not the biggest, strongest, best looking, highest paid guy with the best personality out there, but I am pretty strong across all of these categories and that matters.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:01 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,570,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The short-guys-finish-last thing is a myth. Real life observation proves that over and over. If any short guys are having problems, it's not because of their height.
No it doesn't. Real life observation would show that taller men have more success with women than shorter men.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:03 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,580,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Back to the OK-Cupid blog linked above (repeated here: Your Looks and Your Inbox « OkTrends ). I'm quite dismayed by the graph of "message success by attractiveness", for men. It shows, among other things, that even for the least attractive men, some 13% of messages sent to the most attractive women, will be answered. For a moderately unattractive man writing to a medium female, the percentage of replies rises to around 30%-40%.

My response rate hovers around 10%. That is to say, if I send 100 messages, perhaps 10 will be answered; and most of the answers are terse "I like your message but we don't have much in common; please have a nice day!".

Thoughts?
Eh, I sent out around 20 messages a week for months and had a return rate of around 5-10% max. I only have a woman's perspective on it, but to me a guy would rather hold out in hopes that a more attractive woman will message him back/message him first than take a chance on a less attractive woman. Unless he's just trying to get laid, then he *might* message a less attractive woman hoping she'll be desperate enough.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:05 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,580,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
No it doesn't. Real life observation would show that taller men have more success with women than shorter men.
And short, thin women with big boobs tend to do much better than tall fat women.

This is a shock?

Old 07-10-2013, 04:06 PM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Back to the OK-Cupid blog linked above (repeated here: Your Looks and Your Inbox « OkTrends ). I'm quite dismayed by the graph of "message success by attractiveness", for men. It shows, among other things, that even for the least attractive men, some 13% of messages sent to the most attractive women, will be answered. For a moderately unattractive man writing to a medium female, the percentage of replies rises to around 30%-40%.

My response rate hovers around 10%. That is to say, if I send 100 messages, perhaps 10 will be answered; and most of the answers are terse "I like your message but we don't have much in common; please have a nice day!".

Thoughts?
Thought: maybe age-group makes a difference. Possibly if they analyzed for age, two different graphs might emerge for youger (than whatever cut-off point), and older.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:12 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,586,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I respectfully disagree with you. I think you posted a less than flattering picture of Jade Pinkett on purpose. To me personally, she is quite a beautiful lady.

http://www.bio27.com/imgg/Jada+Smith.jpeg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/...12_634x812.jpg

http://static.globalgrind.com/sites/...ook-sexy_0.jpg

I know a lot of African American men prefer larger butt. I also know a lot of African American men prefer slender look. My brother is obviously a mixed Asian man who has modeled for fitness magazine a while ago. He prefers Jade Pinkett and Vanessa Williams over Beyonce. I've dated three black men in the past when I was in college, (college football players, big buff beautiful black men) they all believed Jade Pinkett was beautiful although they might not like her attitude.

Who gets to decide who is average looking, below average looking, or beautiful? Beauty is highly subjective.
I disagree with Supine as well about Jada. She is nowhere near the type I instinctively prefer - she is too thin and not physically large enough - but I still think she is a very attractive woman. I don't know her very well, though I had the pleasure of meeting and speaking with her long years ago. I don't think that you'd find many men, Black or otherwise, who would not find Jada Pinkett Smith attractive.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:14 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,570,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
And short, thin women with big boobs tend to do much better than tall fat women.

This is a shock?
Women always tell me that men like tall women and point to models to show it.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:14 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,976,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
it's been shown there's a clear correlation between height and income: http://faculty.washington.edu/mdj3/M...%201/Judge.pdf

so in that sense, short guys do finish last. why is it impossible there's similar relationship between height and romantic success?

now, i agree with the notion short guys still have quite a good chance at love and that many here complaining about it have more pressing issues than their height. and agree they should stop whining and get out there and date

but to pretend height is irrelevant is silly. all else being equal, it's better for a man to be tall than short when it comes to dating
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships