Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 01:37 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,780,306 times

Advertisements

I was just reading a new thread started here in the Relationships Forum about couples arguing about money, and one of the posters commented that one reason couples may fight over money is b/c the higher earner may feel entitled to control the flow of money...

This got me thinking...

If you are in a long term relationship (eg. those of you who have been together 2-3+years, engaged, or married), and either you or your S.O. earns significantly more than the other, does the higher earner tend to have a monopoly on the direction of finances?

I'm curious to see what situations you have been/or currently are, in, and how you manage them...

Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 01:40 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,802,098 times
I prefer to have my own seperate account along with a joint account for my future relationships. I like to maintain my own little finacial "independence" and I will respect my lady to have her own as well for smaller purchases and know that we will make smaller purchases with a good frame of mind and common sense.

For larger purchases that require joint funds or withdrawal from the shared savings account, I prefer we have a discussion about stuff like that first.

The idea of "Whats mine is yours and vice versa" doesn't fly with me at all.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:45 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdocjolly View Post
I was just reading a new thread started here in the Relationships Forum about couples arguing about money, and one of the posters commented that one reason couples may fight over money is b/c the higher earner may feel entitled to control the flow of money...

This got me thinking...

If you are in a long term relationship (eg. those of you who have been together 2-3+years, engaged, or married), and either you or your S.O. earns significantly more than the other, does the higher earner tend to have a monopoly on the direction of finances?

I'm curious to see what situations you have been/or currently are, in, and how you manage them...

Thanks for sharing!
Nope.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:50 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,961 times
My gf and I don't really have a shared account, however I did give her a credit card in her name. She can put things like groceries and other things she buy's for "us" on that card. She pays for her personal things, then it just works best for me to give her a CC for our joint things she buys when I'm not around. I trust her so it's no biggie. I make far far more, and I'm older and better with money so I obviously control everything.

If she finishes school and we got married we wouldn't have too many issues regarding money. We would probably keep going like we're going but just save everything she makes for a house and for retirement. That's a long ways off though.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:51 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
When I was married we never fought about money, even through we were both self employed and our income was not steady and predictable. Sometimes we were broke, sometimes not, but we did not fight about it because we each had our own bank accounts and our own responsibilities. He paid the mortgage, I paid all child care expenses. He paid cable, I paid phone. Etc. Whatever was left over was ours to do as we pleased. For him that might mean a new golf club, for me, a new piece of furniture I liked.

Every year when we did our taxes (married filing separately) we would calculate our individual incomes, the divide up joint expenses so that we were both paying the same percentage of our income. Thinks like vacations we would split the same way.

Worked like a charm, and there were never any misunderstandings or abuses.

Last edited by zentropa; 07-10-2013 at 02:07 PM..

Old 07-10-2013, 01:55 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,173,552 times
I am currently in that situation.

I wouldn't say the gap is huge per se... I make around 55, she makes around 30.

We worked out a monthly budget on an excel sheet, and figured out what would be the percentages and breakdowns.

We landed on a 65%-35% split. We included our rent, utilities, food, entertainment, pet expenses, etc. We rounded up a bit to have some cushion. We opened up a joint account, where both put our respective amounts in on payday. She takes care of the finances. Anything left goes into our Savings.

From our own accounts, we pay our own expenses i.e car, insurance, gas, etc. I am more of a spender than her, which is actually great, because she has made me way more frugal. Anything I buy that is pricey, I definitely run it by her, and visa versa. Our rule is, though, that what is in your joint is yours and as long as all of your bills are paid, no worries.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:58 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,834 times
The scenario can change if there's a job loss and the spouse is unemployed for a long period of time.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:59 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I am currently in that situation.

I wouldn't say the gap is huge per se... I make around 55, she makes around 30.

We worked out a monthly budget on an excel sheet, and figured out what would be the percentages and breakdowns.

We landed on a 65%-35% split. We included our rent, utilities, food, entertainment, pet expenses, etc. We rounded up a bit to have some cushion. We opened up a joint account, where both put our respective amounts in on payday. She takes care of the finances. Anything left goes into our Savings.

From our own accounts, we pay our own expenses i.e car, insurance, gas, etc. I am more of a spender than her, which is actually great, because she has made me way more frugal. Anything I buy that is pricey, I definitely run it by her, and visa versa. Our rule is, though, that what is in your joint is yours and as long as all of your bills are paid, no worries.
That is very good thinking!

Old 07-10-2013, 02:03 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,471,479 times
We're both in agreement on financial issues. I don't think we've ever had a significant issue over any money-related decision. This is so even though for years one of us was disabled and had no income at all, and the rest of the time one of us made 20-30% as much as the other.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:13 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,173,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
That is very good thinking!
Thanks.

We also both have a credit card from the other person, she is the authorized user on my Discover, and I on her Bank of America. We also have a Chase card under her name, but we both use that exclusively for household expenses. We pay every bill possible with that card, and end up with a large amount of Cashback. We also have a Target Card, having the 5% off on every purchase is very helpful!

Having each other as an Authorized user is nice too.. We mainly use it in those situations where I'm like "Can you pick up some beer on the way home" or one of us find something the other was looking for.

One thing funny, we have an Amazon Prime account in her name, and, my Discover card was compromised so, it is no longer on there. I will use her Credit Card on the account and then switch money from my checking account directly into our joint account so she can do with it what she wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships