Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 05:54 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,054 times

Advertisements

And, equally importantly, do you assume your date can tell right away whether they are attracted to you?

In your personal experience (not theory), does the rapidity with which the two of you determine attraction have any predictive power re: how intense the sexual connection will be down the road?

--

My answers:

I can almost never tell at the first meeting. However, if I am not actively turned OFF by the person at first meeting, I almost always develop attraction at the second meeting. Sometimes it takes until the third.

Men I date seem to always be able to tell at first meeting. Women, I am not sure.

My experience is that, the rare times I do feel attraction right away, the sexual connection when it happens is 'meh'. The times when I take longer to feel attracted, it is much stronger. But, since I rarely feel that immediate attraction, there is only a small sample set .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 06:30 PM

863 posts, read 1,128,778 times
Well, I'm a man, and since we men are "visual creatures", I will have to say yes. Now, depending on her reaction/attentiveness to me can determine whether that attraction stays.

I'll give an example: I once met a really attractive girl on OKCupid. We talked (on the phone ) for a week. I picked her up for our date. As she walked towards the car, I thought she was gorgeous. However, the moment she strapped into the seat, I could already tell she wasn't interested...the halfway smile was a dead giveaway. This girl chatted on the phone for the entire 20 minute car ride to the restaurant. Me, not being rude and also very hungry, decided to go on with the date anyway. Once there, she was very quiet and didn't bother interacting with the chefs (hibachi restaurant). Acted very stuck-up as well. By the end of the date, I found her very, very ugly. Dropped her off home and that was the end of that.

On the flip side, I met my ex on the same site. Initially, I wasn't all that attracted to her pictures, but thought I'd give it a shot. After a month of messaging back and forth, we finally decided to meet up. Upon our first meeting, I thought she was cute. As we talked and talked throughout the night, my attraction to her rose immensely. We dated for a while after that.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:32 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,706,969 times
I can usually tell from the conversation before the meet. The way she talks, the words she uses, how often, her tone, etc. I have noticed a lot of women are not good at conversation in the beginning or they are just expecting me to do all the work....or maybe I am not that interesting lol.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:37 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
Yes, I know if I'm attracted to someone. No idea if they are attracted to me unless they give an overt sign or say so.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:37 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
In my experience, I'm attracted right away (if I'm going to be attracted) and when I'm not attracted, the attraction doesn't increase on subsequent dates.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:42 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
And, equally importantly, do you assume your date can tell right away whether they are attracted to you?

In your personal experience (not theory), does the rapidity with which the two of you determine attraction have any predictive power re: how intense the sexual connection will be down the road?

--

My answers:

I can almost never tell at the first meeting. However, if I am not actively turned OFF by the person at first meeting, I almost always develop attraction at the second meeting. Sometimes it takes until the third.

Men I date seem to always be able to tell at first meeting. Women, I am not sure.

My experience is that, the rare times I do feel attraction right away, the sexual connection when it happens is 'meh'. The times when I take longer to feel attracted, it is much stronger. But, since I rarely feel that immediate attraction, there is only a small sample set .
I can always tell if there is sexual/physical attraction at the first meeting. Other than that, no. Emotional connection takes a very long time to develop, at least for me.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:44 PM

84 posts, read 123,746 times
Yes. Usually within the first 5 minutes I can feel or reject an attraction.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:46 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
I can usually tell fairly early on if there is any type of chemistry, but a true affection takes a while to develop. I've had some absolutely amazing dates that lasted hours and hours where we connected amazingly well only for the guy to disappear and never contact me again, so I have zero idea what's going on in their minds.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:47 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4 fan View Post
Well, I'm a man, and since we men are "visual creatures", I will have to say yes. Now, depending on her reaction/attentiveness to me can determine whether that attraction stays.

I'll give an example: I once met a really attractive girl on OKCupid. We talked (on the phone ) for a week. I picked her up for our date. As she walked towards the car, I thought she was gorgeous. However, the moment she strapped into the seat, I could already tell she wasn't interested...the halfway smile was a dead giveaway. This girl chatted on the phone for the entire 20 minute car ride to the restaurant. Me, not being rude and also very hungry, decided to go on with the date anyway. Once there, she was very quiet and didn't bother interacting with the chefs (hibachi restaurant). Acted very stuck-up as well. By the end of the date, I found her very, very ugly. Dropped her off home and that was the end of that.

On the flip side, I met my ex on the same site. Initially, I wasn't all that attracted to her pictures, but thought I'd give it a shot. After a month of messaging back and forth, we finally decided to meet up. Upon our first meeting, I thought she was cute. As we talked and talked throughout the night, my attraction to her rose immensely. We dated for a while after that.
This is a perfect example of how it's not all about looks! Attraction can grow based on personality. Yes, even for guys (who here on C-D usually insist there has to be physical attraction from the get-go)--a 6 can become an 8 or a 9 with the right personality. Thanks for posting!

Old 07-10-2013, 06:53 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,982,492 times
yes

and judging from what i've been told (after hooking up) by women whom i met online, they were able to tell on the first date as well

although there could be exceptions to this since i don't conduct exit polls. perhaps the ones who liked me immediately were just more vocal about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships