Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 09:59 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,757,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
How can someone say very hurtful things to someone and then feel if the apologize that fixes it and we should move on. I don't care if your angry,drunk,high or just lipping off, you said it. I feel it can never be taken back, and that is truly how they feel, and I don't accept them for anything.
People today feel they can say anything to a person and fix it later. But they sure want their feeling heard by all at the time.
I have dissolved ties with people over this if it is a over and over occurrence.
I think I can understand exactly what you mean (having been on the receiving end of such hurtful words, not and never from the one I love romantically, but from immediate biological family members). I have personally been called some of the most horrible, unspeakable and hateful things that I would never even wish on my very worst enemy...

Sometimes, although it doesn't excuse or erase what they say, a person can truly and sincerely feel very remorseful for, and deeply regret and be ashamed of, their earlier harsh and unkind words. If I feel a person is genuinely remorseful and truly sorry for what they did, I will pretty much always be willing to forgive them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 10:02 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
I always say one of the most important indicators of a lasting relationship is how conflicts/arguments are handled. You can not take hurtful words back so think before you speak and just don't say them!

Old 07-15-2013, 12:48 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,801,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I You can not take hurtful words back so think before you speak and just don't say them!

Yeah.....that doesn't mean much in todays modern society if you hadn't noticed.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:17 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
"if someone cant excuse their behavior, you should excuse yourself from their life"

~rego00123's mother

Old 07-15-2013, 03:21 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,801,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristine_mucci View Post
People try to heal the injury of hurtful words by apology.This has become a common trend these days.
Uh.... That's one of the main reasons behind an apology

Old 07-15-2013, 05:21 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Always remember: People may not recall exactly what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-15-2013, 06:07 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,499,037 times
I think it depends on the situation. If a person has an abusive pattern where this happens all the time, or is purposefully trying to tear the target down, apologies are next to worthless. If it was a rare thing under unusual circumstances... well, sometimes we all say something we later regret. It doesn't make the hurt any less, but humans make mistakes. Maybe it would be worth letting them prove they're sorry.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:31 AM

769 posts, read 976,609 times
The man I dated for two years was like that. He would say things that were hurtful in heat of the moment or he would project on me his feelings for ex wife. That was part of the reason I ended it. I got tired of being told I wasn't good enough, I needed to wear more makeup, I needed to change my clothing style, I needed to spend more time with him, I needed to get out of horses...etc.

The most hurtful thing he said to me ever..when we broke up one of the numerous times. He said word for word "YOUR feelings don't matter if you get your feelings a little bit hurt oh well". I called him on it and he apologized up and down for saying it but that showed in that really in all honesty I was never going to be a priority.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:44 AM

706 posts, read 1,204,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsechick71 View Post
The man I dated for two years was like that. He would say things that were hurtful in heat of the moment or he would project on me his feelings for ex wife. That was part of the reason I ended it. I got tired of being told I wasn't good enough, I needed to wear more makeup, I needed to change my clothing style, I needed to spend more time with him, I needed to get out of horses...etc.

The most hurtful thing he said to me ever..when we broke up one of the numerous times. He said word for word "YOUR feelings don't matter if you get your feelings a little bit hurt oh well". I called him on it and he apologized up and down for saying it but that showed in that really in all honesty I was never going to be a priority.
Maybe that's why he has an ex wife.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:55 AM

769 posts, read 976,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat247 View Post
Maybe that's why he has an ex wife.

Yeah there are many reasons they got divorced. Mainly she abandoned her kids to go "find herself". The kids were 10 & 13 at time. Still needing their mom.

I met his family they are all like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships