Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 02:43 PM

549 posts, read 1,929,468 times

Advertisements

I refer to myself as Chinese/Korean (I'm half and half). Though, I'm hardly politically correct. I rarely say African American because I don't find it insulting to call that race "Black". Most people say "White" as opposed to Caucasian. The only name I've changed was Spanish to Latina. My girlfriend always refers to her people as Latinos. She's never corrected me... but every time I say Spanish and she says Latino, it clashes in my mind so I've altered my wording. Too many people are touchy about this subject IMO .

Old 01-10-2008, 06:59 PM

24,447 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Hmmmmm, interesting topic. We have friends in HI. They are both in their 80's. He is of Chinese heritage ans she is of Japanes heritage. We have known them both for about 40 years as well as one of their sons that live in CA.

It is most apparent to all of us that know them that he is more domeniring and she is more submissive. Oh, and they have been married for over 50 years.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:20 AM

21 posts, read 86,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I have an honest question, and I'm not trying to be snarky, so please don't read this wrong: For american-born asians who refer to themselves as Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean, etc. when you are an American of Chinese (etc) heritage...

Is this:
1. Shorthand for saying "I am of Chinese (etc.) descent"?
2. Because you feel a greater connection to China (etc.) through your parents and community than your connection to the United States? Does it matter if you are 2nd, 3rd, or 4th generation?
3. Because of other reasons?

Thanks, in advance, for satisfying my curiosity.

I feel like saying I'm Chinese is kinda forced upon me. White Americans have a very hard time accepting that Im actually from Indiana. They ask where I'm from especially when they hear me speak English perfectly. I tell them I'm from Indiana, and they keep asking where I'm from, as if there is abosolutly no way there can be Asians not from Asia. Most whites make 100 sure that I'm not actually one of them by asking degrading questions. No, I feel 0 connections to china.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,177 times
You deserve better than that, while he sits there playing his games he could be doing things with you... it doesnt matter that he doesnt like Japan... there are things to do around the house... and speaking of, he could get up and help you around the house. Guys like that are the ones that ruin it for the rest of us. like I said, you deserve MUCH better than that. 任何人值得你流泪谁永远不会让你哭的

Old 03-28-2010, 09:07 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffwrh View Post
You deserve better than that, while he sits there playing his games he could be doing things with you... it doesnt matter that he doesnt like Japan... there are things to do around the house... and speaking of, he could get up and help you around the house. Guys like that are the ones that ruin it for the rest of us. like I said, you deserve MUCH better than that. 任何人值得你流泪谁永远不会让你哭的
A little late to the party, the OP posted that almost 3 years ago, and it was her one and only post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships