Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 06:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,252 times

Advertisements

Ok so during a boring summer this has been bothering me. I know deep down it shouldn't, but how the mind can wander. I'm a soon to be 22 year old virgin (also never had a gf, only a few dates) and this is what's about to happen to me. I have one extra semester left at college, I graduate in December. I actually got a sublease with 3 other girls from about mid August to mid December. Now that moving in with them is officially in countdown mode, I'm starting to get really, REALLY nervous about the situation.

First off let's clear the air. I am NOT trying to "get" with them. That is a terrible idea (trust me, once upon a time I had a girl at work sour on me, its bad). I also did NOT think to myself back in the winter when I was looking "Hmm I'm terrible with meeting and escalating with girls, living with them will solve that!" It just kinda happened good location/price.

So with what is bothering me. I've never had a big group of friends, and most of them graduated in May. I'm not going to know a whole lot of people my last few months there. So that is making me nervous about this in and of itself. I really don't know how to 'break the ice' in a good way so that they will want to be my friend, and be able to meet their friends. If buying some alcohol and asking to sit around and get get to know each other a bit doesn't work for, then well, out of ideas. That is main problem #1. Of course they might not care that I live there anyways, so moot point.

The fact that I've never had a gf, had sex, never even kissed the same girl twice, is also eating at me. (As it sometimes does). I can't tell if this is a good opportunity, or if life is just kinda trolling me right now. Two of them (havent met #3) are legit cute, and will most likely have cute friends. I'm doing pretty well for myself, 3.0+ gpa for a math degree, 5'9'' 160, workout incessantly, so I feel like if at any point in my life I could get a girl to be attracted to me it'd be now. I'm not whining about 'how girls don't like me', far from it, I'd be the first one to tell anyone I'm not perfect. Problems #1 and #2 have little to do with each other, but kinda linked in a way here.

But then again, nothing at all may happen (I'm not hounding to get laid just to say I did at all), and I'd leave this place disappointed to the extreme after four lonely months.

Can you guys give me some help, advice, pointers? Hopefully this doesn't sound pathetic, I really am getting nervous about this and want it to go well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 08:03 PM

55 posts, read 60,520 times
As far as being friends with these girls goes:

I'd say the most important thing is to be chill, be available, and not try too hard to get to know them, they may think you're creeping if you do. Just spend a lot of time in common area's of the place and maybe get a "house warming" gift of some sort you can all share and talk about. Beer usually has worked well for me but I'm not sure what you're knowledgeable in, it certainly doesn't have to be anything special. Make sure that you don't just hide in your room for homework/tv/video games/reading, do as much of that as you can in the main room so they "have to" socialize with you.

Just by being around the same people and being accessible will lead to you guys getting along as acquaintances.

Now for hooking up with them or their friends:

I wouldn't think hooking up with the people you live with is too likely. Living with them will probably be an instant friend zone move of sorts and I can't see either side risking the mutual friendship in the house by doing that. Also if you do manage to hook up with one of their friends do it at the friend's place. Though I don't know how much more likely you are too make inroads with them just because they are friends with your roommates, but I dunno for sure.

Also keep in mind I'm not claiming to be a pro at this, this is just how I feel as a collage student myself.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:16 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Look, if you can't find a way to be comfortable in your own skin others won't be able to be comfortable with you either.

RELAX.

Just be a decent guy.

Be a considerate roommate - especially in the common areas like bathrooms.

Have good hygiene - don't overdo it on the cologne though - and don't be a slob.

Remember to show interest in things that interest them - ask good questions to show this interest.

Spring for pizza and beer sometimes - always an instant party.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:35 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
try not to walk around naked,,,some woman get offended...

you are thinking too much...its not your role to be mr congeniality- girls are like cats, they will approach on there own terms,,,when they are comfortable,,, from the start,,,dont be focused on THEM, do your own thing, and they will come around to warming up to you

just be respectful, courteous and trustworthy,,

more than likely,,they will friend zone you,,ask you to be designated driver, and such..

and dont get caught staring -..dont be obvious..

i think you will have the time of your life-just have the right perspective ..

Old 07-23-2013, 12:30 PM

2 posts, read 4,252 times
Hey thanks for the ideas. Like I said, it shouldn't be bothering me, but I can't help but think about it more as the move-in date creeps closer. Its mostly anxiety about a new situation I'm totally not accustomed to, with my friends not there to hang with if it ends up being not very cool. The fact that I'm really inexperienced with women (living with women) just adds to the nervousness, I am 100% not going to come on to them (like I said bad idea). But I can't help but think this is a good chance to meet more girls, which I'm not very good at, and tend to come off as quiet or shy.

Any more thoughts, ideas, 2 cents is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:40 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
You're overthinking it. They'll get to know you naturally, just being around you every day. You don't have to do anything special to break the ice. Quiet and shy is good. It's better than pushy or cocky. Just let things evolve naturally.

How many bathrooms does this place have? If it only has one, and everyone goes to school at the same time, you may end up having to set some groundrules about bathroom time. That's all you need to know about living with women. Also: if they have a party involving alcohol, watch your intake. If you end up in bed with one of them due to alcohol, it could end badly for you. She could claim you coerced her.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:23 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,346,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0hn392 View Post
Ok so during a boring summer this has been bothering me. I know deep down it shouldn't, but how the mind can wander. I'm a soon to be 22 year old virgin (also never had a gf, only a few dates) and this is what's about to happen to me. I have one extra semester left at college, I graduate in December. I actually got a sublease with 3 other girls from about mid August to mid December. Now that moving in with them is officially in countdown mode, I'm starting to get really, REALLY nervous about the situation.

First off let's clear the air. I am NOT trying to "get" with them. That is a terrible idea (trust me, once upon a time I had a girl at work sour on me, its bad). I also did NOT think to myself back in the winter when I was looking "Hmm I'm terrible with meeting and escalating with girls, living with them will solve that!" It just kinda happened good location/price.

So with what is bothering me. I've never had a big group of friends, and most of them graduated in May. I'm not going to know a whole lot of people my last few months there. So that is making me nervous about this in and of itself. I really don't know how to 'break the ice' in a good way so that they will want to be my friend, and be able to meet their friends. If buying some alcohol and asking to sit around and get get to know each other a bit doesn't work for, then well, out of ideas. That is main problem #1. Of course they might not care that I live there anyways, so moot point.

The fact that I've never had a gf, had sex, never even kissed the same girl twice, is also eating at me. (As it sometimes does). I can't tell if this is a good opportunity, or if life is just kinda trolling me right now. Two of them (havent met #3) are legit cute, and will most likely have cute friends. I'm doing pretty well for myself, 3.0+ gpa for a math degree, 5'9'' 160, workout incessantly, so I feel like if at any point in my life I could get a girl to be attracted to me it'd be now. I'm not whining about 'how girls don't like me', far from it, I'd be the first one to tell anyone I'm not perfect. Problems #1 and #2 have little to do with each other, but kinda linked in a way here.

But then again, nothing at all may happen (I'm not hounding to get laid just to say I did at all), and I'd leave this place disappointed to the extreme after four lonely months.

Can you guys give me some help, advice, pointers? Hopefully this doesn't sound pathetic, I really am getting nervous about this and want it to go well.
You are okay. You are much better than I was at your age. As far as breaking the ice, the only thing I can say is just talk to them and talk straight. Keep it basic. Don't try to impress. Just be straight up and honest with them. Ask them about themselves. Don't worry about nervousness, it will always be there, but it will lessen with experience.

Also try to develop an intuition about people (I know it sounds crazy). Figure out the type of people you get along with and so on and so forth. Don't try to wait for people to initiate. That won't happen unless you happen to be the right person in the right place at the right time.

There is so much, but it would overload the site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships