Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 09:10 AM

223 posts, read 694,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
I need my alone time regularly- but I also like to socialize.

I take a trip alone each year- usually a long weekend but I go someplace I've never been before and soak up the atmosphere at my pace.

I think it's imperative to my mental health that I have my own time.
That's one of the best ideas i have ever heard. Gotta do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 09:20 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelostsouls View Post
That's one of the best ideas i have ever heard. Gotta do that.
Hey - I have a friend and every year we go on a trip together...last year we went to St. John in the Virgin Islands for 11 days...rented a villa - and I'd bet we didn't spend three full days together while we were there. We might meet for drinks or supper, but usually one went one way and the other went the other. We've gone to New Orleans, to St. Simons Island, to an island off the coast of Florida (the name escapes me!), to Montana...and every time we just sort of share expenses. We read, sleep, eat, sightsee or shop if we want to (mostly not)...if you have someone that you can be quiet with but still have companionship when you want it, it's a great way to travel. Don't ask us to share a room - a house is quite close enough - but I can honestly say those are some of the most peaceful vacations I've ever had. Try it - it is good for the soul!

Old 11-11-2007, 09:36 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,004 times
[quote=katie45;1966732]I agree with you and all of the OPs! " My mom told me once that anyone who cannot stand being with themself is not emotionally healthy!"

"When holidays roll around I 99% of the time spend them alone (Thanksgiving/Christmas) and LOVE not being involved in the hectic/chaotic enviornment of family squabbles, joining the insanity of xmas shopping, being stressed out or being a kitchen slave all day.

"I spent way too many years dreading the holidays, but not now."

Katie45, I agree with your above comments. Unfortunately, many people do not understand and are constantly in an unbalanced state of mind.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:54 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
The internet,specially forums is a great thing for me.It lets me control when I want to talk,when I don't and what subject.Alot of things I enjoy talking about wouldn't be a hit in person to person conversation,like politics,religion,relationships talk,some things are boring to me in person to talk about that I do enjoy talking about on the net while some sex and relationship talk wouldn't be a good idea to let info out to a girl you just met.I don't want to hear about ex boyfriends and blah blah just like I'm not going to be a open book to a girl I just met.

Personally I get bored when a guy at a bar or wherever starts talking sports to me,I have no interest in it,but then you gotta weazel your way out of it to not look rude,but even though I like philosophical,political or otherwise non conventional topics I don't really like to get in deep into that at social settings either.

The internet has actually helped me come out of my shell in a way,specially in real person meeting situations.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:16 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
The internet has actually helped me come out of my shell in a way,specially in real person meeting situations.
//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ant-truth.html

ok I take that back,not always.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:03 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times
Default Not crazy at all!!

I don't think you're crazy at all. I'm a guy in a similar situation. I like live music, (I go to maybe 20 shows a year and a few festivals in the summer) but I can't afford to go out several nights a week. I've had friends get all over me about that too. They are married and got married early in life. They always say the usual "If I were single, I'd be doing blankety blank blank." They married early, so they don't realize what it is like to be single and paying a mortgage, gettting started with a 401K and things like that. Priorities in life do change whether or not you get married or stay single.

As for your username, I for one don't see you as "nerdy" one bit!!

Old 11-11-2007, 11:27 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
[quote=observer;1967953]
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I agree with you and all of the OPs! " My mom told me once that anyone who cannot stand being with themself is not emotionally healthy!"

"When holidays roll around I 99% of the time spend them alone (Thanksgiving/Christmas) and LOVE not being involved in the hectic/chaotic enviornment of family squabbles, joining the insanity of xmas shopping, being stressed out or being a kitchen slave all day.

"I spent way too many years dreading the holidays, but not now."

Katie45, I agree with your above comments. Unfortunately, many people do not understand and are constantly in an unbalanced state of mind.
Holidays used to be just another round of migraines . . . but since I am no longer involved or associated with all the fam-dam dysfunctional get-togethers, I can sit back and enjoy!

Old 11-11-2007, 12:42 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,400,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Hey - I have a friend and every year we go on a trip together...last year we went to St. John in the Virgin Islands for 11 days...rented a villa - and I'd bet we didn't spend three full days together while we were there. We might meet for drinks or supper, but usually one went one way and the other went the other. We've gone to New Orleans, to St. Simons Island, to an island off the coast of Florida (the name escapes me!), to Montana...and every time we just sort of share expenses. We read, sleep, eat, sightsee or shop if we want to (mostly not)...if you have someone that you can be quiet with but still have companionship when you want it, it's a great way to travel. Don't ask us to share a room - a house is quite close enough - but I can honestly say those are some of the most peaceful vacations I've ever had. Try it - it is good for the soul!
What a great idea!

Old 11-11-2007, 01:01 PM

223 posts, read 694,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Such an awesome idea. one of my best friends wants to take me with him to his timeshare in hawaii, I think that would be an great time. Sipping pina colodas on the beach. ahhhhhh the dreams.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:22 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Hey
I LOVE this topic!
I consider myself flexibly Extroverted. At times I can go out on the town and stick to myself. Other times I can go out and talk to everyone and wave at people I think are interesting and try to start up conversations. Sometimes I wear neat outfits that attract attention.

At church sometimes I am too myself and laid back. Other times I wish I could really get involved and do more and meet more people (which is what I did today).

I can also spend time alone and just converse with people online, watch movies, read interesting books, and work out. Spending time alone is GREAT!!! Sometimes being alone is painful only when I am upset about something from my past that keeps surfacing into my conscious memory, at those times I wished somebody or some caring friends were near me to comfort me, but that rarely does happen.

I guess on average I go out only two or three times a MONTH to dance clubs.
To church I go sometimes about twice a week.

I personally think that people who need others all the time and are very extroverted are more manipulative and at times annoying as heck. They have as much issues as the people who never want to leave their house and never want to make friends. The extroverted manipulators end up having just as few friends as the very isolated shy person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships