Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 08:40 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,884 times

Advertisements

I'm someone that doesn't mind sitting in my apartment all day and reading a book. Or leaving my apartment and riding the train all day (I live in Chicago, btw), and walking around the Loop, or just through my neighborhood, or sitting at the Lake (which is my favorite thing to do, but it's a little too cold now ). Then again I'm not someone that avoids social situations all together. I do go out, although I don't have the money to be going out all the time, so I pick and choose what I like to go do (I enjoy live music so that's what I usually do). I am kind of shy, though, but if someone comes up to me, I'll be friendly and usually end up making a new acquaintance. (Also if someone interests me enough, I'll eventually get up the guts to go talk to them.)

I'm not someone that is going to just randomly call people up and invite them to do things. But if they call me I'm willing to go. I just don't feel like I need to do it or be around others all the time.

I really don't have a lot of people that I hang out with. Granted, I did just recently move here, but it was the same way when I was in Tennessee. The fact of the matter is that a lot of my close friends live far away anyway. Also, right now I'm working for a company that is, well, basically me and one other person, and I figure once I get a second job (this primary one is only part time for now) I'll probably meet more people so I'm not too worried. Plus once my financial situation gets more stable, I plan on doing some volunteering somewhere, so that's another avenue.

The question is, does this make me crazy? One of my friends recently said that "no one really wants to be alone," (then again, she's someone that doesn't like to go to the grocery store alone) but as for me, I can tolerate being with myself. As my grandma always said when I was younger, "you can entertain yourself." Am I not living life to the fullest? Or am I just selfish and look out for myself more than anyone else?

Should I just not worry about what my friend is saying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 09:12 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,346,772 times
Your ftiend is crazy and you are just fine. Don't worry about it.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:17 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,835,536 times
I need my alone time regularly- but I also like to socialize.

I take a trip alone each year- usually a long weekend but I go someplace I've never been before and soak up the atmosphere at my pace.

I think it's imperative to my mental health that I have my own time.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:36 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,265,697 times
No, you're definitely not crazy. My friends say the same thing, but the truth is that I am comfortable with myself and inside the property lines of my own home and I am able to amuse myself for days on end. People who are extroverts don't really get it, but whatever...that's why there are so many different types of people. Do whatever makes you happiest - your life will be fuller if you do what soothes your soul rather than someone else's.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:45 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,205,511 times
I hope that you aren't crazy, because then I am, too. I can spend weeks by myself, going to a movie or nesting in my place. I can go days without hearing a soul, puttering around or doing art or reading. But I also love to go out, to entertain, to be around really wild and irreverant people, laughing until tears fall down my cheeks. I can go a long time without the latter, but need the former to recharge my batteries.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:53 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
I'm someone that doesn't mind sitting in my apartment all day and reading a book. Or leaving my apartment and riding the train all day (I live in Chicago, btw), and walking around the Loop, or just through my neighborhood, or sitting at the Lake (which is my favorite thing to do, but it's a little too cold now ). Then again I'm not someone that avoids social situations all together. I do go out, although I don't have the money to be going out all the time, so I pick and choose what I like to go do (I enjoy live music so that's what I usually do). I am kind of shy, though, but if someone comes up to me, I'll be friendly and usually end up making a new acquaintance. (Also if someone interests me enough, I'll eventually get up the guts to go talk to them.)

I'm not someone that is going to just randomly call people up and invite them to do things. But if they call me I'm willing to go. I just don't feel like I need to do it or be around others all the time.

I really don't have a lot of people that I hang out with. Granted, I did just recently move here, but it was the same way when I was in Tennessee. The fact of the matter is that a lot of my close friends live far away anyway. Also, right now I'm working for a company that is, well, basically me and one other person, and I figure once I get a second job (this primary one is only part time for now) I'll probably meet more people so I'm not too worried. Plus once my financial situation gets more stable, I plan on doing some volunteering somewhere, so that's another avenue.

The question is, does this make me crazy? One of my friends recently said that "no one really wants to be alone," (then again, she's someone that doesn't like to go to the grocery store alone) but as for me, I can tolerate being with myself. As my grandma always said when I was younger, "you can entertain yourself." Am I not living life to the fullest? Or am I just selfish and look out for myself more than anyone else?

Should I just not worry about what my friend is saying?
great post i will give you some soon.
there is a great song by gnarles barley
"crazy"
no you are not.
there are worse things than being alone.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:05 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
".....there are worse things than being alone......"

Yeah, like being around someone who wont give you alone time, lol!
That might end up being my scenerio here soon, yikes!

I too, personally, like doing a lot of things alone, most of the time. Shopping, travel, going for a long drive, etc. Occaisionally a friend or family member tagging along is okay, but when I have a choice, its solo.
Its gonna be kinda wierd the next couple of weeks during my class, to be stuck in a hotel room with another potential driver (usually they dont mix male and female in the hotel rooms, which the company pays for) but once you get on the road with your trainer, you get who they feel most qualified to train you, and most of the time, unless youre really annoying to that trainer, they want to keep you as their own partner. Of course, I have no idea why I asked to do team....
I brought that up because Im so used to doing alone, and having someone around 24/7 will definately have its pros and cons.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:08 AM

631 posts, read 2,445,155 times
I think it's great you would spend your time doing volunteer work.
It sounds to me you are interested in giving of yourself. You're not selfish.

Some people are not comfortable being alone and need others for their happiness. I know people like that and they are master manipulators.

Glad I'm not one of them. They can make for pretty needy dependant people.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:10 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,676,379 times
You need to do whatever makes you happy. If you enjoy being alone then be alone. When you're ready to spend time with a friend you can do that as well. Unless you can enjoy your own company you will never be happy with someone else.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:57 AM

65 posts, read 245,843 times
You are fine just the way you are. Don't question your self for doing what you enjoy.
The fact that you do things to entertain your self tells me that your are living life to the fullest.
You are not selfish, however, if you think calling someone and inviting them over would be enjoyable, then give it a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships