Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 09:00 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Kikiki no one is answering this question so far lets take a minimum wage couple. Say as a woman you stash 100bucks more every month or to be more politically correct steal 100bucks monthly & say you got divorced after 30 years you would have 36,000 bucks more in your secret stash plus interest.
I have a friend whose wife did this for a year. He thought she was paying bills. Found out otherwise when she took their daughter wrote him a note, and flew off to Arizona. He got his daughter back and his "wife", soon ex, got a little time behind bars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 12:29 PM

880 posts, read 1,251,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Is it okay to do this or idiotic not to?
That's my favorite part of this post - "Is it OK or is it OK?" No option for "NO"

(I know this is a necropost, but still...)

Old 05-03-2018, 02:41 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,197,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
National Domestic Violence Hotline:

Is This Abuse? - The National Domestic Violence Hotline

Things have changed some since the days of your grandparents. Thankfully.
Amen to that Sista!👍

Old 05-03-2018, 05:55 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,321,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
It's not in most states. My grandfather did well but still made my grandmother make her own clothes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
...Things have changed some since the days of your grandparents. Thankfully.

Grandfather bought their house with money he saved and had in the bank. No mortgage.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:27 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
I know this post is ancient, but I'll respond anyway. My husband and I married immediately after we finished college. I couldn't find a job my first year out of school and worked as a server so most of my income was tips. When October rolled around that first year I began stashing $3-10 out of my tips every shift--whatever wouldn't be too far off what I usually made. The plan was to use it for Christmas gifts. I surprised husband with the stash sometime in mid-December.

My daughter still has a Credit Union account with a few $1000 in it. The quarterly statements still are coming to our house even though she moved out 6 years ago. I don't know if her now husband knows about it, and I never mention it to her in front of him. To be honest I don't usually mention it to her either, but.......Besides, she makes more than enough $ to support herself.

I've was a SAHM for 10 years or so. Even after that I probably didn't make enough for another 6 years or so to support myself and my kids if something happened. Since we share all accounts it would have been difficult to stash money away from my husband. There was a short period of time when I wished I had done so.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:08 PM

2,656 posts, read 1,374,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
You must have you quoted in order to bother.It says MONTH not week
Minimum wage families don't have that much in a month that would go unaccounted for.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:14 PM

2,656 posts, read 1,374,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
You must have you quoted in order to bother.It says MONTH not week
And, by the way, be nicer. Even if people do misread or make a mistake generally doesn't mean they aren't debating in the best spirit if things. I don't subscribe to the theory that common courtesy doesn't apply just because you are on the internet.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:15 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
I don't think it is so "black and white" and depends on individual situations. My husband and I have been married for 33 years. He has always been the main wage earner and we have always maintained separate accounts. He allots a "budget" to me for our bills, which I handle and I put some aside for savings for an emergency. He may not always know how much I have, but I don't know how much he has either. This does not bother me, it works for us. I think it is only a problem if one spouse were to have a problem with it. A little reserve fund, especially for us older women is smart, if something happens to our spouse we have immediate funds to draw on.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:40 PM

971 posts, read 688,754 times
My ex wife and i had a joint checking account. I dumped my paycheck in it and she paid the bills. When i needed money, i ask for it and she gave it to me. I never knew what was in it because the bills were paid and we had money. When she decided to leave, i asked to see the bank statement. The account had a couple thousand dollars in, which sounded about right.

But....as you mention, she had siphoned off 30k into an account of her own over the years. I never missed it and she used it to fund the escape of her and her boyfriend from me and his wife. I always wondered how many women had an escape fund.

Old 05-10-2018, 03:20 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
My ex wife and i had a joint checking account. I dumped my paycheck in it and she paid the bills. When i needed money, i ask for it and she gave it to me. I never knew what was in it because the bills were paid and we had money. When she decided to leave, i asked to see the bank statement. The account had a couple thousand dollars in, which sounded about right.

But....as you mention, she had siphoned off 30k into an account of her own over the years. I never missed it and she used it to fund the escape of her and her boyfriend from me and his wife. I always wondered how many women had an escape fund.
Thirty grand!!!

That would never escape my husband's notice, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships