Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 11:17 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,593,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Ugh, it's like talking to a 5 year old.

I'm out.
You has a vagina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 12:27 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,416,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiimwegtrco View Post
Sometimes I keep on wondering why people aren't real in life,they tend to behave like movie stars of love ,where everything is perfect.Is it bad to show my weakest side in a relationship.For example, showing a little anger, criticizing my partner greatly etc.what is your take on this?
I don't understand the fakeness either..

If a person can't accept you at your worst, they don't love you.. doesn't mean being unkind or cruel is acceptable.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:59 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiimwegtrco View Post
Sometimes I keep on wondering why people aren't real in life,they tend to behave like movie stars of love ,where everything is perfect.Is it bad to show my weakest side in a relationship.For example, showing a little anger, criticizing my partner greatly etc.what is your take on this?
this is actually a very good question that comes up frequently when i talk to my male friends. i would say that it is VERY gender-specific.

women are given leeway to show their 'weak side', and men won't really find them any more or less attractive because of it. i mean there are some limits, but in general women are given a wide berth by men to be emotional.

For men? No. Not even maybe. the easiest way to kill any sex in your relationship is to show your weak side. i've had this discussion with a wide variety of men and the story is always the same. Women will find you sexually unattractive if you show any emotional weakness.. it is just in their instincts to do so. No amount of "modern gender equality" sugarcoating has changed this dynamic.

Last edited by le roi; 07-31-2013 at 08:14 AM..

Old 07-31-2013, 09:18 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,593,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
this is actually a very good question that comes up frequently when i talk to my male friends. i would say that it is VERY gender-specific.

women are given leeway to show their 'weak side', and men won't really find them any more or less attractive because of it. i mean there are some limits, but in general women are given a wide berth by men to be emotional.

For men? No. Not even maybe. the easiest way to kill any sex in your relationship is to show your weak side. i've had this discussion with a wide variety of men and the story is always the same. Women will find you sexually unattractive if you show any emotional weakness.. it is just in their instincts to do so. No amount of "modern gender equality" sugarcoating has changed this dynamic.
Yeah there's definitely a double standard there. Women are allowed (even expected) to show weakness and emotion and it actually can make them more attractive in the right setting. Men? No. That turns women off.

I guess it could be argued that women are the only one's allowed to "be themselves" in a relationship...the good, the bad and the ugly sides of her, and her man will tolerate it more or less because "that's just how they are". Men, like it or not, have a role to play in a relationship, almost as if he were a stage actor. To be yourself as a man is to sometimes display weakness/indecisivness/etc when left to your own devices, because men are of course imperfect humans as well. But she can't and doesn't want to see that.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:19 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Yeah there's definitely a double standard there. Women are allowed (even expected) to show weakness and emotion and it actually can make them more attractive in the right setting. Men? No. That turns women off.

I guess it could be argued that women are the only one's allowed to "be themselves" in a relationship...the good, the bad and the ugly sides of her, and her man will tolerate it more or less because "that's just how they are". Men, like it or not, have a role to play in a relationship, almost as if he were a stage actor. To be yourself as a man is to sometimes display weakness/indecisivness/etc when left to your own devices, because men are of course imperfect humans as well. But she can't and doesn't want to see that.
Yes.. but i think we both understand that women do have unfair, double-standard expectations they have to deal with -- especially regarding looks or physical fitness.

But yeah, emotionally, there's no question that women set up very clear boundaries that men aren't "supposed" to stray from.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:34 PM

50,807 posts, read 36,501,346 times
I don't think these habits are really who you are, they are just that, habits. Why would you want to "criticize your girlfriend greatly"? How much anger? I mean, it's fine to not be perfect, but if you have an anger problem, you should deal with it, it shouldn't be on your girlfriend to just take it as part of the deal. I have issues, my bf has issues, that's fine, but we both expect that we are working on them and trying to be better partners. It doesn't mean pretending the issues aren't there, but it does mean taking responsibility for our behavior and trying to heal those issues. It sounds like you're asking if your gf should allow herself to be mistreated because of your "weaknesses" and to that I say no.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:01 PM

355 posts, read 389,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Hahahaha, that actually explains a lot
I especially love good comedians, people tell me I should become a comedian all the time because I'm so funny, so dane cook and daniel tosh are some of my heroes because they're hilarious(funnier than me even)

Old 07-31-2013, 07:05 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilkingx2 View Post
I especially love good comedians, people tell me I should become a comedian all the time because I'm so funny, so dane cook and daniel tosh are some of my heroes because they're hilarious(funnier than me even)
Ok.

I'm calling troll on this guy. Either that, or he's a teenager.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:56 AM

19 posts, read 63,608 times
haha Am just being real,we are talking about a normal being here.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:44 AM

19 posts, read 63,608 times
I like your reply!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships