Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 01:37 PM

29,540 posts, read 22,841,407 times

Advertisements

Required reading for many, as we seem to read never ending threads on here from women asking about situations involving a guy they are dating.

Boundaries are boundaries, and never put up with what makes you uncomfortable. I agree that as a society many are 'taught' to not raise their voice and not be 'rude,' but there are subtle cues that doesn't take rocket science to figure out.

If a Guy Does THIS on a Date, It Means He's Trouble | Fox News Magazine

This:

Quote:
"Consent" is a hot word right now. And it should be. I hope it’s here to stay. Because when a date does something against your explicit wishes, it’s game over, right?

But, I've noticed the "consent" conversation largely hovers around sexual consent only (and the trauma caused when consent is absent and sexual assault occurs). Yet, men often show you on the very first date whether they care (or not) about honoring your boundaries.

The pressure to "go along to get along," not rock the boat, and avoid displeasing the other person at all costs is the cultural training many of us received as little girls. It touches us to our core. Our inner self whispers, "Just get through this. Be nice." Unfortunately, some people (let’s just call them what they are: jerks) count on this, and are more than willing to take advantage.
This:

Quote:
So, how do you know which men are likely to violate consent boundaries?

Spotting a dangerous man when you don't like him is easy. But noticing his negative traits gets a bit fuzzy when he’s hot, or smart, or funny, or charming, or — oh boy — all four. In these cases, I have a pro tip for you, sister: No matter how "nice" he is, if a man doesn't honor you saying "no" to the little things — RUN!

Because, nice or not, he has just committed the No. 1 dating no-no! He may as well have said to you, "I care more about what I want than what you need."
And this:

Quote:
Of course, this behavior shows up differently from guy to guy. I put men like this in three categories:

#1. The 'Nice Guy': This guy would never intentionally push your comfort levels if he knew you wanted to bail, or that you need to slow things down.

#2. The Sneaky Good Guy: This guy is basically a decent person who is heavily steeped in bad information. We cannot discount the huge impact our culture has on training young men to believe women "play hard to get," and that, with any sign of waffling on her part, it’s perfectly OK to push her further. You know, because women "secretly want it" (*giant sigh*).

#3. The Total Asshat: This jerk hears you say, "No, thank you", loud and clear, and orders you another drink anyway. Or sticks his hand where it isn’t welcome. Yeah — that guy. By disregarding your explicitly stated wishes, he’s practically slapping you across the face with that red flag.

Want to know how a man will treat you long-term?

On the very first date, clearly articulate a need or boundary. (Yeah — it’s that easy.) How he responds to your boundary or request shows you how he’ll treat you now and in the future. If he doesn't honor your "no" about a second glass of wine, he's unlikely to honor your "no" sexually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 01:45 PM

16,959 posts, read 17,411,874 times
Lol, this woman makes it seem there's no such thing as a genuine good guy.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:40 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,474,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Lol, this woman makes it seem there's no such thing as a genuine good guy.
I didn't read it that way at all. She identified 3 kinds of guys...1 genuinely a good guy, one that might be salvageable and a bad guy. It seemed pretty balanced and actually offered some good advice on how to practice saying no and how to figure out early on if the guy would take "no" for an answer.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:49 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,165,624 times
Who doesn't take no for an answer? Sheesh.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:05 PM

26,709 posts, read 41,870,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
A Comcast employee.

But seriously, I'm very sensitive, to a fault, to when a woman says no. I'm trying to make up for lost time in my career and I can't afford a court case or any risk of it if a woman is not interested and expresses that in any way.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
You're not really that naive to think some men DON'T take no for an answer?

Old 07-23-2016, 08:17 PM

52,417 posts, read 52,935,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
You're not really that naive to think some men DON'T take no for an answer?

Never in any of the circles of men that I knew. You can get a bead on who you think might be a creep and pretty much rule them out of your life. There was a couple of guys that I've known, mostly friends of a friend type thing that I just got a creepy vibe from and wouldn't feel comfortable with them dating any women I knew, but it was pretty rare. Most guys are decent, just like most women, most people are decent.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Never in any of the circles of men that I knew. You can get a bead on who you think might be a creep and pretty much rule them out of your life. There was a couple of guys that I've known, mostly friends of a friend type thing that I just got a creepy vibe from and wouldn't feel comfortable with them dating any women I knew, but it was pretty rare. Most guys are decent, just like most women, most people are decent.
Sure...but just because most guys are nice doesn't mean there aren't bad guys out there. And, the bad guys do MORE than their share of crap so even if only 5% are bad, they are messing up far more than 5% of women. Also, I don't need to personally know a murderer to know and acknowledge that they exist...enough said.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:34 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,577,277 times
Quote:
Sure...but just because most guys are nice doesn't mean there aren't bad guys out there. And, the bad guys do MORE than their share of crap so even if only 5% are bad, they are messing up far more than 5% of women. Also, I don't need to personally know a murderer to know and acknowledge that they exist...enough said.

So men do more damage than women? Not all men sleep around or are players if that's what your implying?

Why can't it be equal? Which I think it is overall.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:38 PM

52,417 posts, read 52,935,398 times
Quote:

Not sure why I'm get a tude here???? Saying enough said is pretty rude and dismissive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships