Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 10:59 AM

197 posts, read 448,264 times

Advertisements

Girls have the ability to literally pick and choose.
Inflated egos.
Sense of importance and value.

100 messages from guys on PoF. Most who are good fellas, yet those well thought up first messages go unread.
Tinder... a girl will match every guy she swipes right for.

10-15 years ago, girls would not have this false sense of celebrity. Guys are the ones that pick and choose. The one with the biggest balls will go up to a girl, and she will be nervous and flattered.

Girls would hope for attention, they would hope for a guy to compliment them or say hi, or ask them out.
--- now they get it left and right, and if they want to boost their ego they'll make an account on any of the PoF type sites or dating apps.

Long gone are the days of that shy girl. Girls feeling like sht make a post on Facebook, 5 girlfriends come to comfort, and 30 white knights, and boom, they go from feeling like sht, to feeling they are the sht.

Don't mean to sound whiny, just kinda stating how it is. Finding a girl through any of these mediums is pretty difficult unless you are pretty attractive/lucky. I consider myself fairly attractive and I've barely had any luck.

Seems like your best bet is to have a good social circle and get a gf through there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 11:01 AM

34,936 posts, read 36,079,583 times
Man, if you think online dating really changed the "woman has more choices" dynamic...

No. Just. No.

It didn't.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:08 AM

30,500 posts, read 21,682,545 times
From what I hear from my regular looking female friends, they dont have it so well either.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:14 AM

348 posts, read 548,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Peters View Post
Inflated egos.

100 messages from guys on PoF. Most who are good fellas, yet those well thought up first messages go unread.

10-15 years ago, girls would not have this false sense of celebrity. Guys are the ones that pick and choose. The one with the biggest balls will go up to a girl, and she will be nervous and flattered.

Girls would hope for attention, they would hope for a guy to compliment them or say hi, or ask them out.
--- now they get it left and right, and if they want to boost their ego they'll make an account on any of the PoF type sites or dating apps.

Long gone are the days of that shy girl. Girls feeling like sht make a post on Facebook, 5 girlfriends come to comfort, and 30 white knights, and boom, they go from feeling like sht, to feeling they are the sht.

Don't mean to sound whiny, just kinda stating how it is. Finding a girl through any of these mediums is pretty difficult unless you are pretty attractive/lucky. I consider myself fairly attractive and I've barely had any luck.

Seems like your best bet is to have a good social circle and get a gf through there.
Not sure that girls have the ability to 'pick and choose' more than they used to, or any more than guys have the ability to now play the numbers game to a larger degree. I think internet dating has been beneficial to both genders for those who enjoy it.

Girls feeling like sht make a post on Facebook, 5 girlfriends come to comfort, and 30 white knights, and boom, they go from feeling like sht, to feeling they are the sht.

I strongly agree with this. We live in an era where 'everyone is beautiful'...except they're not. Instead we should be taught "Some people may think you're beautiful, others may not. There are people out there better-looking than you. Looks are only part of what you are. How you carry and conduct yourself counts as well".

I also agree that the best bet is to have a good social circle. I have a very strong social circle, great group of guy friends, and we meet women all the time.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:18 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,769,691 times
Quote:
Inflated egos.

I learned this real fast after my divorce 4 years ago. Its a major reason why I think I'll never be able to find someone and get remarried and have a family. Well that, and now living in the worst city for dating in the world.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:58 AM

4,699 posts, read 4,042,979 times
Quote:
Inflated egos.

You do realize most women do not use dating sites. In fact the ratio of active men to women is about 2.5 to 1. Women on dating sites use it for random sex just like the guys. Except any decent looking girl can have a random sex on PoF, while only hot men can have random sex on PoF.

But, I don't think online dating changes anything regarding long term relationships. Online dating doesn't work for either genders for long-term because men get no responses and women get fooled by the studs looking for random sex.

So this will only affect random sex, but if that is your concern it was worse before. Then most women would require commitment before they would have sex with you.

OkCupid

Gender and Age Bias Facing Seattle Singles - Online Dating Insider

Plenty of Fish

http://memoirsofanamnesic.wordpress....female-ratios/

Last edited by Camlon; 08-04-2013 at 12:48 PM..

Old 08-04-2013, 12:14 PM

896 posts, read 1,173,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I learned this real fast after my divorce 4 years ago. Its a major reason why I think I'll never be able to find someone and get remarried and have a family. Well that, and now living in the worst city for dating in the world.
OKC? I have a male friend who lives there, early 40s, he has no problem whatsoever dating. And he's 5'3"!! My friend dates women from late 20s to mid 40s and he cleans up. Maybe it's an age thing? How old are you? (He has an average job making average money so that isn't it.)

Old 08-04-2013, 12:21 PM

50,155 posts, read 35,812,657 times
This is a huge myth, IMO. I say this as a woman who did online dating for several years until I met my bf. First off, those hundreds of messages are temporary, it's the "New Meat" phenomenon, when you first post a profile you get innundated, but even of 100 messages, 50 will be too far away, 20 will overtly ask for sex in the first message, 10 will be wildly inappopriate in terms of age (too young or too old) 5 will be married or in a relationship, and of the 15 left, 10 will disappear somewhere in the e-mail stage, 3 will ask to call you then disappear when you give them your number, and 2 will become actual dates.

After the initial rush, we get no more messages than men do.

I have never known one single woman on online dating for an ego boost. Every woman on there wants to be in love with the right guy. Easy to blame women for your failures, harder to examine yourself.

After the inititial

Old 08-04-2013, 12:29 PM

4,699 posts, read 4,042,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousVox View Post
OKC? I have a male friend who lives there, early 40s, he has no problem whatsoever dating. And he's 5'3"!! My friend dates women from late 20s to mid 40s and he cleans up. Maybe it's an age thing? How old are you? (He has an average job making average money so that isn't it.)
Dating sites and dating in general becomes easier when men get older. Just look at my chart above which is data from OKC.

A 23 year old can normally date women in the age range of 20 - 25 years old. But women of those ages date men from 20 - 35. So there will 2600 men fighting over 500 women.

But your friend who is in his early 40s, can pick and choose between 1500 women. A young man need to strike gold every single time, while the older man can date the older women in the meantime.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:30 PM

197 posts, read 448,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This is a huge myth, IMO. I say this as a woman who did online dating for several years until I met my bf. First off, those hundreds of messages are temporary, it's the "New Meat" phenomenon, when you first post a profile you get innundated, but even of 100 messages, 50 will be too far away, 20 will overtly ask for sex in the first message, 10 will be wildly inappopriate in terms of age (too young or too old) 5 will be married or in a relationship, and of the 15 left, 10 will disappear somewhere in the e-mail stage, 3 will ask to call you then disappear when you give them your number, and 2 will become actual dates.

After the initial rush, we get no more messages than men do.

I have never known one single woman on online dating for an ego boost. Every woman on there wants to be in love with the right guy. Easy to blame women for your failures, harder to examine yourself.

After the inititial
May I ask how old you are? Many women my age (early 20s, mid 20s) I feel definitely do it for an ego boost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships