Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 01:04 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,254,511 times

Advertisements

The last few women I came across turned out to be in their early 30's. The volunteer group I started volunteering for has either high schoolers or people much older than I. There are only 9 women close to my age on dating site, who are not a match. And don't even get me started on my bonsai and cycling group, those don't even have women.

There are a few young women in my gym, but they don't appear to be there for conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 01:10 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,441,256 times
Honestly you need to focus your attention on something else for a while. Give your constant looking for a woman and wondering why you can't find one mission a vacation. You are trying too hard to find what you think you want, give it a break, go out into the world, do things, focus on the other areas of your life, let the natural flow of real life happen and before you know it someone will cross your path. Then you can figure out if you want to step into your future together or if you want to continue on by yourself until the next someone crosses your path.

You should watch the video and listen to the song "Somebody" by Reba McEntire, really listen to the words.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:12 AM

11,420 posts, read 24,541,511 times
Join a kayaking or paddle board group or club. A lot of times women join because they don't want to do these kinds of things alone. Any of the non competitive sports or even dances are often top-heavy with single women.

In the meantime, you can have fun getting some exercise and making more friends.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:18 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,090,475 times
Not sure there is a direct answer to the question of "why."

How wide of an age range are you considering around your own?

Old 08-05-2013, 09:53 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,955,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
The last few women I came across turned out to be in their early 30's. The volunteer group I started volunteering for has either high schoolers or people much older than I. There are only 9 women close to my age on dating site, who are not a match. And don't even get me started on my bonsai and cycling group, those don't even have women.

There are a few young women in my gym, but they don't appear to be there for conversation.
I know this is really frustrating for you

It's really pretty ironic that in this fast paced digital info age with constant info at our fingertips through twitter, texting, smart phones etc people are having MORE trouble connecting sometimes than ever before.

It's a new world we live in these days, but just know you are NOT the only person having this kind of difficulty.

One of the best ways to get a great new job is through networking, getting help from "who you know".

I think this approach is working better and better in the dating world now.

You have to have a social network and rely on it to help you find new women to date.

Sure, the old go out to the bar and meet someone by striking up a conversation still works sometimes.

But when someone can "vouch" for you, talk you up, sell your good points to women they know personally you might increase your odds a bit.

See, while internet dating has brought a lot of people together, it's also brought all the crazies and weirdo's out of the wood work too.

Consequently, after a while many people, especially women, are reluctant to trust anything somebody says online. This has basically ruined it for a lot of great people who get passed over out of that sense of caution and mistrust.

So, talk to all the people you actually know. Tell them you are looking to meet a new woman/women to date. Basically, network!

And even more importantly, don't give up. Don't make this the whole focus of your life obviously, but keep an open mind and be aware of taking advantage of any opportunity that comes your way.

Hey, maybe one of those older women you volunteer with has a daughter? Remember, tell everyone you know you are looking

Old 08-05-2013, 10:04 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,475,637 times
I'm sorry what age women are we targeting?

Old 08-05-2013, 11:22 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,254,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm sorry what age women are we targeting?
Early mid-twenties.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:25 AM

12,585 posts, read 17,010,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post

You need to take a visit to a college town. Hang out at the restaurants and pubs.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:46 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,825,816 times
When I was that age, I was busy paying off student loans. My life revolved around working and trying not to spend a lot of money (so I could pay off those loans). Needless to say, I didn't get out much or date much in my mid 20s. I don't know how much things have changed, but I imagine a lot of women that age are doing the same.

Maybe you could just focus on yourself for a while and occasionally do singles events. Meetup has a lot of different clubs on it including singles clubs to meet people. But you are young still and have time--so don't fret and don't worry. I think in your later 20s, your dating pool will improve as women will have more money themselves at that time (and can afford to go out, etc).

Old 08-05-2013, 12:33 PM

102,337 posts, read 108,588,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
You need to take a visit to a college town. Hang out at the restaurants and pubs.
OP has just spent the last 3 years living in a college town. IIRC, he has one year to go, before transferring out of the South to the West Coast, where his prospects should improve significantly.

Go to coffeeshops and chat up the barristas and patrons. Take a dance class, even if you're not a good dancer: salsa, swing, folk dancing, whatever they have in your town. If you feel awkward, use that as a conversation opener. "I'm really not very good at this, I just wanted to try something new." Great opening line! Join a Chi Gong or yoga class at your gym. Be the friendly guy (not the on-the-make guy, but the nice, friendly, go-to guy). Ask someone as she's leaving, "Do you get this 'Chi' thing? What's it supposed to be, like electrical energy or something?" Or "That yoga posture today was really uncomfortable. How did you do with it? I never knew I need so much stretching!"

Bonzai seems like a good choice. Too bad it didn't work out. Maybe try a cooking class or some other gardening-related class? I think you've made a good start, OP. These things don't always work out immediately. It's not a guaranteed, instant fix. Often people have to keep trying, move around through different groups, and be patient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships