Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 10:13 PM

65 posts, read 85,570 times

Advertisements

I've known this female friend for close to a year now. We talked infrequently in 2012, but started to talk more in 2013, and just recently we've been talking a bit more. I always thought she was fairly attractive, but it wasn't until recently that I started liking her more.

We talk about a lot of different things: school, work, hobbies, etc. I'll often start the chats (online), but she'll start them occasionally as well. Responses are pretty normal in length and there are a lot of "hahas". Recently I've tried to tease her a little bit in a flirty way (I'm sure I suck at it, but 'try' is the key word). I also told her X thing about her was kind of adorable (maybe that was dumb, but can't change things now). At least with regards to the latter thing, she responded with a laugh and continued the conversation. Sometimes she comes to me with her little neuroses and I help out. I'm not sure where we stand. Does she view this purely as a friendship? Is there anything here?

I'm not sure whether she's going out with anyone right now. There have been a few FB pictures here and there of her with a guy, but that's the extent of my knowledge.

She's definitely more outgoing than me, but what should I do here? I'm terrible at these things. I feel like it'd be embarrassing if mutual friends knew about my feelings (I don't even know why...). I don't have a whole lot of confidence and I have virtually no experience with women. I've been in situations like this with female friends before and they didn't end particularly well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 10:21 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,222,755 times
Do you even know if she is single?

Old 08-06-2013, 10:37 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,577,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballfan123 View Post
I've known this female friend for close to a year now. We talked infrequently in 2012, but started to talk more in 2013, and just recently we've been talking a bit more. I always thought she was fairly attractive, but it wasn't until recently that I started liking her more.

We talk about a lot of different things: school, work, hobbies, etc. I'll often start the chats (online), but she'll start them occasionally as well. Responses are pretty normal in length and there are a lot of "hahas". Recently I've tried to tease her a little bit in a flirty way (I'm sure I suck at it, but 'try' is the key word). I also told her X thing about her was kind of adorable (maybe that was dumb, but can't change things now). At least with regards to the latter thing, she responded with a laugh and continued the conversation. Sometimes she comes to me with her little neuroses and I help out. I'm not sure where we stand. Does she view this purely as a friendship? Is there anything here?

I'm not sure whether she's going out with anyone right now. There have been a few FB pictures here and there of her with a guy, but that's the extent of my knowledge.

She's definitely more outgoing than me, but what should I do here? I'm terrible at these things. I feel like it'd be embarrassing if mutual friends knew about my feelings (I don't even know why...). I don't have a whole lot of confidence and I have virtually no experience with women. I've been in situations like this with female friends before and they didn't end particularly well.
You are already in the friendzone. You are not going to get yourself out of the friendzone unless you make yourself appealing to her. In real life it doesn't work like John Hughes movies. You need to keep her involved but chase other enterprises if she is going to develop enough respect for you to find you attractive. If all else fails spill your guts to her, but you have a low percentage shot at it.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:47 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,834,922 times
Make a joke on her comments of something she posted."Uh oh better keep that on the down low of your bf."
She may answer"What bf?" Or"Yeah my imaginary one"

Old 08-06-2013, 10:50 PM

727 posts, read 1,532,825 times
Get a girlfriend; that usually brings them around.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:02 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,212,255 times
We have no idea how she feels. Ask her out so you can find out for yourself.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:29 AM

348 posts, read 549,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballfan123 View Post

You may have been friendzoned already, if so just keep all this in mind for next time. Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. Invite her out to a place she'd like to go to (bar, restaurant) and make a move. For example, I have a small selection of bars that I know women like so I always invite them to go there. Depending on how it goes, at minimum I go in for the kiss, but usually I invite them to come 'hang out at my place'. Point being, I let them know where I stand.

Also, don't 'help her out with her neuroses'. Never be a shoulder to cry on. Who cares if your mutual friends know about your feelings. If you put yourself out there and get rejected, sure it hurts but at least you have the balls to do so. The only people who would even make fun of you are the ones who don't take risks themselves. More likely, no one would make fun of you.

You may have no experience with women, but you'll never get any by never trying. And the more you try, the better you'll get at it.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:02 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,222,755 times
Lol the guy probably doesn't know if she is single and y'all telling him to ask her out.

Way to sabotage a friendship.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:51 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,305,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Lol the guy probably doesn't know if she is single and y'all telling him to ask her out.

Way to sabotage a friendship.
Friendship with a woman ur attracted to and want more is painful. Its just someone you haven't nailed yet

Old 08-07-2013, 03:08 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,446 times
Have you gotten together in person before or is your friendship basically over the phone?
I agree with the other responses about asking her out for drinks or a bite to eat. You may get more of a feeling on what she thinks of you and if she has a boyfriend. I disagree women are only after appearance. I understand there needs to be an attraction but sometimes a person you may not be initially attracted to can win you over with personality and that in turn makes them looking nicer on the outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships