Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 12:56 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times

Advertisements

I JUST had this happen to a close friend of mine. They went on a first date that went wonderfully, and he asked her on a second date a week later. There was constant texting on both sides, and he even insisted on coming to see her compete in an event, even though he couldn't stay long. While at the event he kissed her repeatedly and followed up later with enthusiastic texts abaout how cute she was and how impressed he was by her. A little over 24 hours later (the day before the second date was to happen), he dumped her saying they weren't looking for the same thing in a relationship - even though they had not discussed that topic yet and for her part she was completely content to just see where things went. He said he was only on the online dating site where they met to make his mother happy. Oh, and whoops, he's sorry if he's hurt her but he figured it would be better not to drag things out.

Her circle of friends is completely mystified (and some of us actually met him at the competition), and honestly, I think to do such a shocking 180 is more than a bit cruel. I really think it crossed the line between uncertainty about one's feelings into outright deception. I mean, how do you do such a total and complete turnaround sooo quickly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 12:56 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,957,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastwomanstanding View Post
I know when someone acts "hot and cold" with you, meaning all over you one day and very withdrawn the next , it can mean they are not sure what they want. Could it also be a reaction to being unsure what my expectations are? Why do you think people (men) act inconsistent?
Why, IMO, and yes, totally cliche;
They just aren't that into you.
It is possible that the person had a bad day, or they are tired/sick, but those are usually pretty obvious.
Consistant hot and cold most likely means lack of interest at some level.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:35 PM

4,829 posts, read 4,281,757 times
I seriously feel this just happens online. I really wanted to get back into real life dating; however, I haven't felt very comfortable with my efforts as of late. I just seem to run into women my age or are recently out of a LTR or out of a marriage. Not exactly dating material, or I'm running into available women that I feel are just too young for me. 29 has been just a really odd year for me involving dating. Maybe it has to do with me turning 30 soon, but I seem I'm too old for one subset and don't have enough life experiences for another subset.

I'm more intersted in dating a woman who's a few years older than me, but could be potentially difficult since I don't have any kid experience. In my area most of these women have kids and are a little leary about dating a man that doesn't have kids. I guess the presume that these gentleman have a better understanding of what it's like to have children and how schedules can change on a dime. In my dating experiences, I've liked some single mother's, but they had a hard time dating me. They seemed to get along better with single dad's, which I understand.

It just seems online dating is getting harder and harder to figure out and get comfortable with.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:20 PM

5,208 posts, read 4,666,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
The feelings scare the crap out of them.
And I think that's one of the better possibilities. The worse is they are dating multiple people and it just warmed up with one of the others.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:25 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr2013 View Post
There are a lot of reasons why someone is hot and cold, but bottom line, none of them are good.
This.

Someone (a professional) should write a book on this hot and cold thing. They'd make millions.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:04 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Luke warm is no good.

Hot coffee or cold soda.

Anything in between is uncertainty.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:06 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I JUST had this happen to a close friend of mine. They went on a first date that went wonderfully, and he asked her on a second date a week later. There was constant texting on both sides, and he even insisted on coming to see her compete in an event, even though he couldn't stay long. While at the event he kissed her repeatedly and followed up later with enthusiastic texts abaout how cute she was and how impressed he was by her. A little over 24 hours later (the day before the second date was to happen), he dumped her saying they weren't looking for the same thing in a relationship - even though they had not discussed that topic yet and for her part she was completely content to just see where things went. He said he was only on the online dating site where they met to make his mother happy. Oh, and whoops, he's sorry if he's hurt her but he figured it would be better not to drag things out.

Her circle of friends is completely mystified (and some of us actually met him at the competition), and honestly, I think to do such a shocking 180 is more than a bit cruel. I really think it crossed the line between uncertainty about one's feelings into outright deception. I mean, how do you do such a total and complete turnaround sooo quickly?
Don't some women do this too?

I see them do a 180 and you have no idea what changed??

Hard to say.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:12 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
And I think that's one of the better possibilities. The worse is they are dating multiple people and it just warmed up with one of the others.
Yeah I know this.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:38 PM

2,386 posts, read 3,268,127 times
I've no time for that, they either want me or they don't. I'm not going to put up with that behaviour, as a teen yes as a adult hell no. A man playing hot and cold over the age of 25 is pretty pathetic in my opinion

Old 08-16-2013, 07:57 PM

808 posts, read 1,877,633 times
There's a common theme in some of these anecdotes. It seems like these hot and cold men were enamored with the idea of being with a particular girl, but once they are with her they realize it wasn't what they had built it up to be in their minds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships