Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2013, 11:44 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Bringing up the subject and then dropping it is not a solution. You need to actually address it with her and carry the conversation through from start to finish instead of getting fed up and changing the subject. I envision a comment from you to her about your lack of sex life, she reacts with surprise, and you snarl "nevermind" and sit there fuming,and wondering why nothing changes. Have you ever shared your true feelings and frustrations with her or is it you always attempting to bring it up and then backing away from the conversation? "Trying" to talk about it isn't the same as actually talking about it in-depth and reaching a resolution.
Yeah. I guess it's too late now (?), but the OP should have "dragged or cajoled her into counseling" a long time ago, instead of stopping short of that point, due to wounded pride at the thought of having to do that. *sighh* On the other hand, if she's accusing him of being "overly dramatic" when he lays it on the line and says he can't take it anymore, well....that doesn't seem to bode well for the prospects of counseling, anyway.

I can't imagine putting up with all that teasing for 10 years, though. That's cruel and unusual punishment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 12:22 PM

10 posts, read 13,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Bringing up the subject and then dropping it is not a solution. You need to actually address it with her and carry the conversation through from start to finish instead of getting fed up and changing the subject. I envision a comment from you to her about your lack of sex life, she reacts with surprise, and you snarl "nevermind" and sit there fuming,and wondering why nothing changes. Have you ever shared your true feelings and frustrations with her or is it you always attempting to bring it up and then backing away from the conversation? "Trying" to talk about it isn't the same as actually talking about it in-depth and reaching a resolution.
Of course I have. Many many times. The pattern is as follows:
1: We have an heart to heart and I tell her exactly whats bothering me
2: She seems surprised and agrees to of course address the issues
3: Nothing changes
4: I later ask her about 3
5: She gets exasperated and claims im so complicated
6: I drop the subject for awhile.

10 years of this. Fact is .. she simply doesnt like sex with me. Maybe I turn her off, maybe she likes something elsd, or maybe she doesnt like sex. Or maybe like another poster said .. she might have a boyfriend. I have no idea.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:27 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icehouse View Post
maybe i turn her off
qft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icehouse View Post

She probably doesn't want to hear your b*tching, and thinks you're weak.

You're probably so far down this path that it is part of who you are, her view of you has been cemented, and even in the event of an epiphany you probably won't be able to change that perception.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Of course I have. Many many times. The pattern is as follows:
2: She seems surprised and agrees to of course address the issues
3: Nothing changes
4: I later ask her about 3
5: She gets exasperated and claims im so complicated
6: I drop the subject for awhile.

10 years of this. Fact is .. she simply doesnt like sex with me. Maybe I turn her off, maybe she likes something elsd, or maybe she doesnt like sex. Or maybe like another poster said .. she might have a boyfriend. I have no idea.
But why continue dropping the subject for 10 years? A guy who wants sex isn't "so complicated". It's a normal human function. Looks like she's the one who's complicated. And why continue the same strategy, that clearly hasn't been working, for 10 years? Isn't that the definition of insanity? It never occurred to you at some point, "OK, I need to try something different now, because this isn't working"?

Old 08-15-2013, 12:34 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,856,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
qft

You're probably so far down this path that it is part of who you are, her view of you has been cemented, and even in the event of an epiphany you probably won't be able to change that perception.
What was he supposed to do? Say NOTHING for fear of "b*tching" or appearing "weak?"

Or was he supposed to just throw her down and "take what he wants"?

I don't know what his alternative would have been.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:34 PM

10 posts, read 13,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But why continue dropping the subject for 10 years? A guy who wants sex isn't "so complicated". It's a normal human function. Looks like she's the one who's complicated. And why continue the same strategy, that clearly hasn't been working, for 10 years? Isn't that the definition of insanity? It never occurred to you at some point, "OK, I need to try something different now, because this isn't working"?
Yes. I read books, I read articles, I did all that. But now things actually are going to be different. Im leaving her. Thats different, right?

Old 08-15-2013, 12:37 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrueRulz View Post
What was he supposed to do?
To put it bluntly: be a different person

Quote:
Say NOTHING for fear of "b*tching" or appearing "weak?"
Saying nothing is definitely a better option than b*tching and appearing weak.

i'm not real clear on what the central conflict was that needed to be resolved, but there are clearly many ways to resolve an issue, and controlling your emotions, maintaining a rational disposition, and avoiding emotional outbursts is a central role men must play in a relationship.

It may be that she's an unreasonable person that he should've divorced long ago. I don't know. I just know that what he's describing has , to me, proven to be counterproductive for men trying to solve relationship problems with women.

Quote:
Now I'm not saying he should or shouldn't do that

there is a fine line between "Yes no" and "No no" and i cannot assume OP knows where that is

Quote:
elaborate, please, on what choice you think needed to be made, and when.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Yes. I read books, I read articles, I did all that. But now things actually are going to be different. Im leaving her. Thats different, right?
OK, so I take it you've had an aversion to counseling for 10 years. That's usually what couples do when talking doesn't work--they try professional help. But, whatever. I hope your next marriage works out a lot better.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:39 PM

93 posts, read 146,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrueRulz View Post
What was he supposed to do? Say NOTHING for fear of "b*tching" or appearing "weak?"

It almost doesn't matter anymore. Whatever she's thinking or not thinking, she's left her husband thinking she doesn't want him. That, to me, is brutal.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:41 PM

93 posts, read 146,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
qft

Oh great. More PUA Alpha wisdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships