Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 07:23 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,998,845 times

Advertisements

My wife and I were talking about this earlier and I thought it would be interesting to see what people here thought.

Here's the situation: A married couple is about to have a baby, say their 3rd or 4th. Complications in the delivery put the couple in a "child or mother" scenario. Doctors can only save one and they have to choose who will live. If you were in this situation, what decision would you choose and why?

Without a doubt, I would choose my wife. I already have three kids, and it's not fair to them to continue on without their mother. They need a mom, not necessarily another sibling. Also, I have the years an emotional experiences invested in my wife. Losing a child at birth would not be easy, but losing a wife would be even worse.

My wife noted that it is likely highly religious couples who are likely to choose the child over the mother. Their objection to abortion would likely shape their decision. We are a pretty conservative couple ourselves, and pro-life. I draw a big distinction between the choice to make an abortion, which is a deliberate decision to terminate the life of the unborn child, and the choice presented in this scenario which places a couple who does not want to lose their child in a situation where they must choose child or mother. Big difference. It's no more an abortion than choosing the child is suicide for the mother if the couple chooses to save the child. I do ask that this not turn into a pro-life vs pro-abortion thread.

So what say you?

PS: Mods, I feel this thread is best suited for this relationships because it speaks to the bond between a married couple and how they apply that to ethical dilemmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 07:29 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,101 times
You should know better than to post something like this (no ethics here ) . It belongs in another forum at the very least. . .

Old 08-13-2013, 07:32 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,434,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
My wife and I were talking about this earlier and I thought it would be interesting to see what people here thought.

Here's the situation: A married couple is about to have a baby, say their 3rd or 4th. Complications in the delivery put the couple in a "child or mother" scenario. Doctors can only save one and they have to choose who will live. If you were in this situation, what decision would you choose and why?

Without a doubt, I would choose my wife. I already have three kids, and it's not fair to them to continue on without their mother. They need a mom, not necessarily another sibling. Also, I have the years an emotional experiences invested in my wife. Losing a child at birth would not be easy, but losing a wife would be even worse.

My wife noted that it is likely highly religious couples who are likely to choose the child over the mother. Their objection to abortion would likely shape their decision. We are a pretty conservative couple ourselves, and pro-life. I draw a big distinction between the choice to make an abortion, which is a deliberate decision to terminate the life of the unborn child, and the choice presented in this scenario which places a couple who does not want to lose their child in a situation where they must choose child or mother. Big difference. It's no more an abortion than choosing the child is suicide for the mother if the couple chooses to save the child. I do ask that this not turn into a pro-life vs pro-abortion thread.

So what say you?

PS: Mods, I feel this thread is best suited for this relationships because it speaks to the bond between a married couple and how they apply that to ethical dilemmas.
Too tough of a question for me to answer. I asked my wife and she said the mother should live.

It is a good ethical question though.

Probably could either go here or Parenting or even Other Topics.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:34 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,998,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
You should know better than to post something like this (no ethics here ) . It belongs in another forum at the very least. . .
Yeah, you're probably right. Hopefully we can get some good dialogue before the thread transition fully to a drama-laden side-show!

Old 08-13-2013, 07:40 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
Mother.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:01 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,848,332 times
The mother. I agree with it being selfish to the other children to take their mommy.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:06 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post

So what say you?

Whew, you like those cans of worms don't you, lol??

The good news is, this is not a scenario that happens much at all any more, as in, a very tiny percentage of the time - thank goodness.

As a mom with other kids to raise it would be a gut wrenching decision. I think my husband would choose me, hands down though.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:07 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,434,699 times
What if....

The husband and wife marriage was a 4 out of 10 AND there was a $1M life insurance policy on her?

Old 08-13-2013, 08:10 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,469,320 times
The mother. If a a 3rd or 4th child is wanted badly enough, then they could always try again. Plus leaving multiple children without a mother will affect them more than the loss of a sibling they never knew.

[practical reality]

Old 08-13-2013, 08:17 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,275,560 times
I say mother lives, without a doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships