Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2013, 10:24 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
they'll tell you BMI is a great guide for populations and a poor one for individuals...
Ya know, if you're going to cherrypick, you could at least read an entire sentence. You sound like you think you're disagreeing with me. But you're not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Any reputable physician or dietitian will tell you that BMI is a great guide unless someone is an athlete or has a muscular build. Indeed, it says as much right on the NIH site: Assessing Your Weight and Health Risk

Old 08-15-2013, 10:31 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
To all those suggesting dumping her over this, I never considered it. Just trying to determine the future if it will get worse

I have been single 4 out of the last 6 years. I typically stray from committed situations.

The last thing I need is that again. I am basically a sex addict when I am single and I'm doing my best to move on past that life.
More evidence that you have issues with control. Great Dateline tonight about a man who was hung up on being a body-builder, always looking ripped, etc. He made his wife carry a photo of herself to remind her of how "fat" she had gotten (she wasn't fat at all), and didn't want her to get pregnant because then she'd be "fatter."

Turns out the guy ran around with every woman in town behind her back, and ended up murdering her with a shot to the chest.

Funny, that made me think of this thread.

Go right to 17:40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
I'm sure if I posted a pic of her here all the heffers would have a cow hahaha.
I don't see why you assume that everyone who disagrees with you is obese. I work out an hour to 75 minutes a day, weights, cardio, and cardio-kickboxing. I'm 46 years old. A 46-year-old couldn't do that if she was obese. Get over yourself. Really.

Last edited by Lilac110; 08-15-2013 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: video

Old 08-15-2013, 11:08 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,954,224 times
Maybe I am weird because when I was heavier, comments about my weight pushed me to workout harder and show those fools.

I realize that some people are not as thick skinned and would never comment about someone's weight gain. That's just not cool IMO.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:57 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,961 times
The amount of conclusions being jumped to and assumptions made are far too great for me to address individually.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-16-2013, 07:46 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
Fortunately my wife wants an honest assesment on her weight. But for most women, my guess that the safest way to comment on their weight would be from inside a shark cage.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:53 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Fortunately my wife wants an honest assesment on her weight. But for most women, my guess that the safest way to comment on their weight would be from inside a shark cage.
YOU ARE A JERK IF YOU TELL YOUR WIFE THAT. SHE WILL SMARTEN UP AND LEAVE YOU EVENTUALLY.

/sarcasm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-16-2013, 07:56 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Typical mountain out of a molehill. 10 freaking pound. When it becomes 50 or a 100 pounds or poses a signifiant health risk, you might have a point. 10 pounds while within her healthy range, than is douchebaggery of a very low form.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:56 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,984,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I will agree to disagree. I think when it comes to a girlfriend that you are very fond of - 10 pounds, BO, dressing shabbily, etc might be an issue. When it comes to someone you are really in love with - it just isn't. You either don't mind certain things or you know your SO well enough to know how to bring things up.
so if you were in love with someone, and they stopped using deodorant and got BO, you really wouldn't care at all? your love would make it not matter, and there would be no point in maybe buying him a fancy manly grooming kit for christmas, or saying something like "oh i really used to love the scent you wore last year, or maybe it was your soap or deodorant" or whatever

we're not talking about a total lack of attraction, just the ability to address issues like adults. tenderly, intelligently, but not pretending they don't matter if they do

i just couldn't be in love with anyone enough to not care if they have smelly pits all the time, or that it wouldn't turn me off a little bit

Old 08-16-2013, 08:06 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,166,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
"Honey, if you are upset with the way you look and not feeling confident, let's do something about it. I want you to feel happy when YOU look in the mirror. If you want to lose a few pounds, I'd love to help you get there and work out with you. Let's start cooking healthy together, heck, I need it too!"

IS IT REALLY THAT HARD?

When my boyfriend and I talk about body image/weight, This is how we talk. It's sincere. My boyfriend was jacked when I met him. He has gone through weight gains of 20 pounds during grad school, down to being a leaner runner now. We have conversations about HEALTH and balance. Neither of us is overweight or UNHEALTHY. We both swore to the other if the other got overweight, we would be supportive in getting the weight off. It's for our health, seriously. We encourage each other to have balanced diets and exercise. If one of us falls off the wagon we help the other get back on. Nobody is perfect.

I think it's hilarious people don't know how to address this. My boyfriend also isn't going through puberty anymore. Neither am I.

If you are not attracted to your wife because she is physically unhealthy, as her husband, you have a right to be concerned about her health. There are ways to address health without calling her a "heffer" as the OP so lovingly calls overweight people.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:11 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
^^this. Is how it works at my house. You know. Adult talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships