Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 09:42 PM

1,340 posts, read 1,627,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Once in the work place a lot of guys are not going to gamble their career for a date.
Unless they are terribly stupid. Work is for work. Fooling arond, dating, etc. Things like that shouldn't be there.

By the way "the smarter the woman is, the more difficult it is to find the man". Keep telling that enough times and you'll convince yourself. That's what such defense mechanism is for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 09:46 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,228,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nald View Post
Unless they are terribly stupid. Work is for work. Fooling arond, dating, etc. Things like that shouldn't be there.

By the way "the smarter the woman is, the more difficult it is to find the man". Sounds like a great defense mechanism and it's pure BS.
Yep, I get a lot of cute women who look at me at work and flirt etc. But as soon as I go to the grocery store or what have you the attention drops to 0. I make WAY too much money have too good of a job to throw it all away because a woman smiled at me. Women made this bed now they are having to lay in it and all that guys like me have left is to go after heavier less attractive women who will give us the time of day so we have some kind of sex life. Women wanted equal rights and then started pushing the work place sexual harassment policys to rediculus proportions so you can pretty much forget meeting a guy at work unless he is making less than 10$ an hr and does not mind risking his job.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:47 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
I'd be glad if anyone would out them to me so I can fire such people in my jurisdiction. Business isn't your place to hit on others or meet others for sex. Stay professional or go somewhere else... potentially huge corporation where everyone is positioned by whom they know and everyone's work is covered by huge collective to justify hierarchical money splitting. Another option is government sector.
It doesn't mean they'd be meeting guys in the office. They can meet people at professional conferences, networking events, or in completely unrelated departments.

Yes, government work can be pretty good for that. Language students who go to work for the NSA say it's a great marriage market, seriously! lol!

Old 08-15-2013, 09:50 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
The real issue, is that women get a distorted picture of what is important in a relationship. They want a man who makes a large salary, has as much education as she does, and an important career.

Not realizing, that a relationship is based on shared values, and experiences. I have three Masters degrees, and make plenty of money. I don't need a man who makes money or has a lot of degrees. Once I realized that, and went for a man who valued me, I was much happier.

You can be book smart, and awful dumb.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:52 PM

You don't get it. Work isn't your private stuff to meet folks to date, evaluate them or involve them in your private life, or anything else that doesn't belong there. Work is a place for work. Not private work either, but working the tasks for your employer. End of story. Any involvement of private life into work is generally a bad thing. If I'd find that out and could react, they would pack their bags immediately.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
You don't get it. Work isn't your private stuff to meet folks to date, evaluate them or involve them in your private life, or anything else that doesn't belong there. Work is a place for work. Not private work either, but working the tasks for your employer. End of story. Any involvement of private life into work is generally a bad thing. If I'd find that out and could react, they would pack their bags immediately.
I think some personal professional development that is related to your job is appropriate an hour a day, at least as an engineer who has to keep up a license which benefits the company. But dating nope lol.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:54 PM

878 posts, read 942,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashrulez View Post
In terms of a romantic relationship? There's no such thing. At least not by my estimation.
So, saying you'd never had one was just you being redundant?

Last edited by Tele-Cat; 08-15-2013 at 10:09 PM..

Old 08-15-2013, 10:05 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,180,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Yep, I get a lot of cute women who look at me at work and flirt etc. But as soon as I go to the grocery store or what have you the attention drops to 0. I make WAY too much money have too good of a job to throw it all away because a woman smiled at me. Women made this bed now they are having to lay in it and all that guys like me have left is to go after heavier less attractive women who will give us the time of day so we have some kind of sex life. Women wanted equal rights and then started pushing the work place sexual harassment policys to rediculus proportions so you can pretty much forget meeting a guy at work unless he is making less than 10$ an hr and does not mind risking his job.
I love this. Somehow lecherous guys harassing women AT THEIR JOBS was always the women's fault. Gotcha.
(Not to mention it is women's fault this dude has to sleep with fat people.)
Such responsibility we hold.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
I love this. Somehow lecherous guys harassing women AT THEIR JOBS was always the women's fault. Gotcha.
(Not to mention it is women's fault this dude has to sleep with fat people.)
Such responsibility we hold.
Its the double standard consequences, you can be snide but it does not change reality. Guys are not going to put their good jobs on the line for a date. I am responsible, I don't date at work period, that way I don't have to deal with any of those liabilities.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It doesn't mean they'd be meeting guys in the office. They can meet people at professional conferences, networking events, or in completely unrelated departments.

Yes, government work can be pretty good for that. Language students who go to work for the NSA say it's a great marriage market, seriously! lol!
Again, that's NOT what they were there for. Or what they should be there for. Yes I know what you mean and lots of people do that in big corporations and within public sector. That's because they work in big corporations and that's their means to succeed in there.

To give you a simple comparison. If you work in Sybase with 3,000 other programmers present, you can hardly negotiate your pay at all. They have their "classes" that roughly earn the same. There is also a hierarchy where your boss and your bosses' boss earns more by a certain margin. It's irrelevant what anyone things, they are ENTITLED for that, and real work is transferred across the pyramid.
This analogy or money/power is present in government sector as well.

This is NOT how you run a company and it's generally the reason why capable guys will always look for a job on the side, to compensate what they consider as unfair behavior. They literally engage even in "borderline (il)legal" stuff to earn that money. In the end, they decide to take away some of the clients or inter-connect to start their own business. Life story of many IT guys, including me.

This is because certain reasoning such as your own is what's wrong. I know very well what I'm talking about and I value my workers on how much they truly contribute and earn in real value, not what position they occupy. I don't evaluate them how much I pay them, but how much their work is charged. I need to earn the money out of their work, of course, but I always keep in mind that this is their real value to the company.

But the thing is that very present way of reasoning in big corporations and public sector is that the same incompetent or semi-competent people will still be ungrateful and abuse their positions to grab even more, even though they would never be capable of starting up their own company or forming their own political party to succeed anything in their life. This is exactly why certain large corporations are indeed ran by not really competent but sleazy folks. And they are insatiable because they abuse this pyramid. They can literally tear apart the whole corporations that is owned by someone else (shareholders) or blackmail them through the boardroom to gain big proportion of shares and large bonuses to simply NOT do that.

Lots of MBAs that I've met have very questionable competence. From my point of view, any university-educated member of society should have the potential to start a small business and be the employer, to MAKE work. MBA holders should be the main driving force... yet they seem to only be capable of having connections in banks or corporations to be placed on certain positions and use those "seminars", "gatherings", "conferences", or by having sex with other folks and getting their social network built up to progress and leech off the system. This makes it rather dubious because they should be the ones starting future Microsoft, Apple, General Motors, Nike, Glencore, HP, etc.

This will get into off-topic. My message is that what you describe is exactly what's wrong with corporate world. And what any reasonable owner wants to avoid in his company.

Last edited by nald; 08-15-2013 at 10:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships