Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 05:36 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,774,203 times

Advertisements

Only on a weekday afternoon. It seems like a single woman going to a bar alone on a weekend night dressed up screams one night stand. I wouldn't mind going to a coffee shop alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 02:57 AM

9,086 posts, read 1,459,703 times
Nah

Old 08-18-2013, 07:43 AM

757 posts, read 1,024,931 times
Never think bar and alcohol appropriate for starting a meaningful relationship…..

Old 08-18-2013, 08:53 AM

662 posts, read 1,260,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Why not, sit at the bar and strike up a conversation with someone!

I traveled all over Europe for a month by myself and did just this and met a lot of interesting people and had a ton of fun!

When I got back a lot of my friends thought it was strange to go to Europe for a month by myself and my response was I could die waiting around for someone with the time and money to go with me but honestly it was so much better by myself as it forces you to open up to people and say hello.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:59 AM

662 posts, read 1,260,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
Never think bar and alcohol appropriate for starting a meaningful relationship…..
You've got to meet somewhere. I met my first wife at a club, lasted 12 years no regrets there, where I have regrets is when she called a year later after our divorce and I ended up dating her for four more years. Now that I regret big time! Lesson learned...

Old 08-18-2013, 09:39 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
Not everyone hits the bar for the same reason. For example, if I go to a bar I pretty much have 2 drinks max. My tolerance is low so one drink is sufficient 90% of time. If there is food involved and I know a few more hours are ahead, I'll have a second drink.

3 drinks? I have done this occasionally on the same day. Over multiple hours (8, 12....)

I am not a drinker but I like well-prepared cocktails.

If I meet a person at the bar who drinks for the purpose of getting drunk, often? Well of course this is a poor fit. Not everyone who goes to the bar does this.

Personally I love bars with board games!

On an autocorrecting iDevice.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:42 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
I'm in a new city and moved here not knowing anyone, so I had no choice. I got here last year during football season and found an upscale sports bar to watch my football games at on Sunday afternoons. I had the NFL package for free at home, but I had to get out. I ended up meeting a few people, I guess because I didn't really care and was just watching my game. I got a date out of it with a woman I realized I had no interest in and met a few other people to watch games with. I'll do the same thing this year since not much has changed for me socially, meaning no social/dating life. At least I have football. As for going there on a Friday or Saturday night by myself, I'm much more hesitant because it is awkward for me going out by myself for the purpose of meeting a woman and then inevitably being let down and going home alone or without a phone number. I feel like a loser when I do that and have only tried it a couple times, only to be home watching netflix an hour later.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:24 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,353,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
Exactly. It's hard enough to get rid of unwanted attention when I'm with friends. If I were alone I'd probably have taze someone so I could leave without fear of being followed.
Lol. You'd get people who like to be tazed. "Wait, let me get up on this table and then let me have it!"

Old 08-18-2013, 02:55 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
Exactly. It's hard enough to get rid of unwanted attention when I'm with friends. If I were alone I'd probably have taze someone so I could leave without fear of being followed.
My advice? Be uglier I go out by myself a lot and I've had a few conversations and met some cool people, but I've never been asked out or felt uncomfortable or feared being followed. I just go to get out of the house for a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
Funny you should ask...I just went out to meet a date at a bar...he didn't show up...so I ordered a drink and sat by myself for half an hour. Then I got bored, left the drink and came home (If I had finished it I would have had to wait longer or order food before I could drive)

So what do you do in a bar? I have no idea how to make conversation with total strangers.

There were several single men in the place, but IMHO they were nowhere near my age. Guess I need to find the right bar.

A few weeks ago I was in a dive bar with a date...it was like 4 in the afternoon. two guys were playing pool and two guys were sitting at the bar, reading books! I kid you not! So I guess in that case, you could ask "Whatcha readin?"
I used to go to a dive back in CA to have a beer and read a bit when it was nice out. The bar was across the street from the beach and I had a lot of friends that went there so I always ended up finding a few people to play pool with or chat with. There were also a few board games we stashed in the back (the owner of the bar is a friend) so I could always play a few games with friends if they showed up

Old 08-18-2013, 03:00 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,353,168 times
I'd like to go where everybody knows my name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships