Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 11:57 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,858 times

Advertisements

Back when I was younger I had a hard time in my relationship with my wife because of her dysfunctional mentally ill family. They lived just blocks from me and messed with our minds and each other. I had never seen a more terrible group of people in my entire life.

I begged my wife to move out of town so they were not there to mess us up by their cruel meddling and attempts to bring my wife and I down.

We were going to demand that they participate in some type of family counseling with us but thankfully she got a job out of state and we broke ties with them.

What do you think of getting involved in family counseling with your in-laws and your spouses siblings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 11:58 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Back when I was younger I had a hard time in my relationship with my wife because of her dysfunctional mentally ill family. They lived just blocks from me and messed with our minds and each other. I had never seen a more terrible group of people in my entire life.

I begged my wife to move out of town so they were not there to mess us up by their cruel meddling and attempts to bring my wife and I down.

We were going to demand that they participate in some type of family counseling with us but thankfully she got a job out of state and we broke ties with them.

What do you think of getting involved in family counseling with your in-laws and your spouses siblings?
I think that would have to be something that your spouse initiates - and not you.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:25 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,897,955 times
Quote:

How do you insist or demand that they get involved in counseling?

Agree with previous poster that this is something she should initiate. Your wife learning how to assert herself and set boundaries can go a long way in situations like this as well.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:30 AM

1,706 posts, read 3,308,567 times
While a rudder can turn a boat, there are few persons inside a family system that can independently change how a family interacts with them and alter the trajectory of the whole. It is better to move away, reduce contact, and as mentioned above, create good boundaries of what is suitable / unsuitable behavior. Both persons in the relationship (husband, wife, or other partner) have to be in agreement this is an appropriate accommodation for their wellbeing. Making such changes typically means having little to no contact with the 'diseased' part of the family - they will cut you out too. It's kind of like bringing your partner to a couple's counselor and saying 'change this person.' Not going to happen without their consent and motivation to change. And even then, with existing resentment, people are hard pressed to accept the changes and accommodations that have been created by their partners. It's a lot of work with many persons who need to be in agreement for the benefits of change. This is deep, long-term work and rather idealistic.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:57 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,949,032 times
Quote:

What do you think about lighting a stick of dynamite in your hand?

Old 08-18-2013, 07:10 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,447,211 times
Better to cut ties than be bothered with more drama.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:31 AM

39,223 posts, read 27,589,701 times
Quote:

Good luck with that.

My ex boyfriend's mom thinks she is Queen Elizabeth. I suggested counseling one time, she looked me like I all of sudden grew second head.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:54 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,105,856 times
Quote:

Personally, I think it is a mistake to get involved with a woman that has a dysfunctional family. If it were me in that situation, the moment I realized it, I would end the relationship. What right do you have in forcing or trying to force someone else to go to a counselor? You have no authority over anyone else, even your wife or her family.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:56 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,646,900 times
Quote:

Gawd, no.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:16 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,858 times
My wife at the time did not have the courage to demand it and of course they would have ignored my request.

I think it would have been great to have some type of intense family counseling and I would have been in my glory telling everyone what I thought of them under the cover of counseling with a professional!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships