Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2013, 09:03 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
I don't think it is that expensive. Then you can just as well hire a nanny.

But I totally understand you are staying home when you have gotten 3 kids in a 5 year period. But in 5 years all of yours kids will be in school, and then it makes sense to work. So you are not really what I would describe as a stay at home mum. I am thinking about those who never seek a career, and just want to stay home with their kids.
Day care charges by the child - so if you have 3 children - it's nearly 3x as expensive. A nanny charges more for more children as well. Nannies around here start at around $18-20 an hour or so. I have a friend that spends about $2000 in daycare.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:05 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,856,499 times
Quote:
I don't think it is that expensive. Then you can just as well hire a nanny.

But I totally understand you are staying home when you have gotten 3 kids in a 5 year period. But in 5 years all of yours kids will be in school, and then it makes sense to work. So you are not really what I would describe as a stay at home mum. I am thinking about those who never seek a career, and just want to stay home with their kids.
Well I am doing some part-time work from home during the school year now. Our youngest was in preschool this past year & will be in kindergarten this fall. I'll likely keep doing the same job as long as they'll have me. My boss (my neighbor) said he wants to hire me back in fall - just to do some basic business duties (mostly financial & some accts payable/receivable). They have a summer intern each year, so me working during the school year works out well.

It's not the same as what I did in my career before, but I like it.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:05 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagebunny View Post
Unfortunately, no. My mom passed away 2 yrs ago, and I just have one sister I am in touch with. We run our business at our property and thus don't see many other people.

But thank you for your thoughts. I am on and off the computer which is why I can't respond regularly.

As for my children, they are nearly fully grown, oldest will go to college next year. I am not looking for someone to raise my children, they are already raised (& well at that). People just assumed I had young children, even though I hadn't mentioned their ages.
So you want to be a housewife?

Not a SAHM?

What exactly do you plan to do with your time if your children are grown and raised?

Old 08-19-2013, 09:07 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,074,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Day care charges by the child - so if you have 3 children - it's nearly 3x as expensive. A nanny charges more for more children as well. Nannies around here start at around $18-20 an hour or so. I have a friend that spends about $2000 in daycare.
You don't have to get the best of the best, you know?

Old 08-19-2013, 09:08 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Even with a low income you save money sending your kids to daycare. First off daycare costs about $7K a year, and you are not paying for daycare their whole life.

Also, minimum wage jobs are normally given to young people and lazy uneducated people. Most educated men, me included, want to marry someone who is intelligent and hard working. And they will get a better salary.
You gave a pretty decent reply to me earlier. This one is an epic fail. Where did you come up with $7k a year? Average center-based daycare in the U.S. is close to $12k a year. In some parts of the country it's closer to $19k. (national association of childcare resource and referral agencies) It doesn't take too many kids before even a solid income is eaten up by child care costs and taxes. Joint income families often get corn-cobbled by the taxman here, childcare expenses be damned!

Also, don't write off minimum wage workers until you know their story. It's true many are high school students intheir first job. That's good. But let's withhold judgment on adult minimum wage earners. You don't know his or her story. You don't know if he or she is lazy or unintelligent. Maybe they are a victim or a lousy economy and will work any job they can find in order to get by. People who make assumptions about others often do so from a position of ignorance, and this holds true for educated people as much as uneducated.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:09 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,482,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit led View Post
I am unhappily married with children. I have been a stay at home mom/ housewife most of our marriage aside from the past 6 years of running a business with my husband. We have been to 2 different marriage counselors in the last year to no avail.
I want a divorce but would like to resume being a housewife. Are there any men interested in a stay at home wife? (that would treat her well and not as their property?)
The trouble is, few couples nowadays can get by financially with just one breadwinner. That holds true regardless of whether that single breadwinner is male or female. Also, being a sole breadwinner gives that person power in a relationship, which can lead them to treat you like property.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
You don't have to get the best of the best, you know?
I guess people could always just drop their kids off at a crack house for the day... I mean, they are only your children. No biggie.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:18 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,074,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
You gave a pretty decent reply to me earlier. This one is an epic fail. Where did you come up with $7k a year? Average center-based daycare in the U.S. is close to $12k a year. In some parts of the country it's closer to $19k.
First off, thats the average for infants, not for pre-schoolers where the average is $8,800 a year. Also, this is the average, not the median. The average is bumped up by some really expensive ones.

So if you don't live in one of the expensive states you should be able to find decent daycare for $7K. Maybe the problem is that you don't know how to find cheap options.

Quote:
Also, don't write off minimum wage workers until you know their story. It's true many are high school students intheir first job. That's good. But let's withhold judgment on adult minimum wage earners. You don't know his or her story. You don't know if he or she is lazy or unintelligent. Maybe they are a victim or a lousy economy and will work any job they can find in order to get by. People who make assumptions about others often do so from a position of ignorance, and this holds true for educated people as much as uneducated
If it is due to the economy, then they will eventually get better salaries.

Of course there is exceptions, but if we are going to talk about exceptions then we can just as well talk about the unemployed.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
First off, thats the average for infants, not for pre-schoolers where the average is $8,800 a year. Also, this is the average, not the median. The average is bumped up by some really expensive ones.

So if you don't live in one of the expensive states you should be able to find decent daycare for $7K. Maybe the problem is that you don't know how to find cheap options.

If it is due to the economy, then they will eventually get better salaries.

Of course there is exceptions, but if we are going to talk about exceptions then we can just as well talk about the unemployed.
Finding cheap options isn't always an option. How would it help to drive an hour out of my way twice a day to drop off my child in a low income area where I can find cheap day care?

Old 08-19-2013, 09:22 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Also, being a sole breadwinner gives that person power in a relationship, which can lead them to treat you like property.
That is probably a product more of personality and temperment than status as a sole bread winner. There are a lot of men and women out there who sit at home and treat their working spouse as property too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships