Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 06:46 PM

808 posts, read 1,877,633 times

Advertisements

Truthfully, it's hard to 100% get over an ex you were really into until you find someone new who's even better. Even if it might be discouraging at first, keep dating around until you find someone who really sweeps you off your feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 07:02 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele-Cat View Post
Don't know what to tell you other than at this point, your misery is self-generated. It wasn't a match. When he comes into your mind, push it away. It's a choice, now. Choose not to be miserable.
EXACTLY.

Not everyone "gets" this, but once they do they can move on

Old 08-18-2013, 07:26 PM

943 posts, read 1,004,102 times
I agree ! You just keep yourself occupied. Especially when the old hurt starts to come.
And every time it finds it way into your mind think of a codeword to yourself to remember NOT to dwell on it.
You can retrain yourself to focus on other things.
Before you know it, it will be hours, then days and then weeks since you touched in on it, and life does go on.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:38 PM

826 posts, read 1,893,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
You are missing him not because of who he was but because of who you WISH he was. And only once you acknowledge that can you really move on.

Fill your time with productive things like working out, take a course etc seems like you have too much free time to sit & fantasize about the past.

Also if you have any ""daddy issues"" see a therapist. Good luck.
I agree with this and with Tele-Cat's advice.
You are not seeing your Ex for who he really was. If you were, you'd not miss him one bit and would in fact be grateful you dodged a bullet. Your Ex can never make you happy. You are incompatible.

Question for you. How's your life right now? Do you have a full life?
I have discovered that when one centers their entire happiness on a partner, they have a really difficult time coping or accepting their life, when that relationship breaks. They spend a good deal of time fantasizing about the previous partner and glossing over their faults. This delays moving on.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:40 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacelilies View Post
I agree with this and with Tele-Cat's advice.
You are not seeing your Ex for who he really was. If you were, you'd not miss him one bit and would in fact be grateful you dodged a bullet. Your Ex can never make you happy. You are incompatible.
Your ex had no interest whatsoever in making you happy, OP. He was all about him. As this poster says, you dodged a bullet. Try to view it that way. You'll feel a lot better.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:50 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,233,524 times
He was not commitment phobic, he just wasnt in love with you and didnt want a relationship with you. Were you sleeping with him? If so, that is all he wanted. He didnt even friend you on Facebook? He didnt want someone knowing he was sleeping with you.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:33 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelmcandrew View Post
We argued because I found out he was flirting with other women, because he wouldn't add me on Facebook, tell his friends about me, and even argued with me about seeing me at the weekend - he said the weekend was 'his time with his friends'.

he only ever wanted to see me on his terms, wouldn't meet my friends and kept me really compartmentalized from the rest of his life.
OMG, he did you a huge favor. You wanted to be with a guy who wanted to pretend YOU DON'T EXIST!
You weren't pressuring him for a commitment, you were pressuring him to actually acknowledge you at all. That is not a relationship. That is a one way obsession.

I suggest you cut off all contact with him before he has you arrested for stalking.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:10 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Six months of being treated like the other woman and you just miss that so much?

Are you sure you weren't ACTUALLY his other woman?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-19-2013, 01:25 AM

56 posts, read 90,607 times
To be honest, nothing would surprise me at this point. He used to always bring it up if I left anything at his place (and I never left anything bigger than a hairband) and he hid all my feminine products out of sight, saying that he 'didn't want his friends to see them if they came over'.

Seeing all this in black and white is a bit of a slap in the face for me, as I didn't realise how badly I was actually being treated. But he obviously didn't treat me like this 100% of the time or I wouldn't have stuck around - he was also very loving, affectionate and attentive (in public & in private) and used to absolutely spoil me (my birthday and valentines day were both pretty epic). We completely clicked, and thats the guy I miss. But most of you are right, I do appear to have dodged a bullet. I would have hated to have wasted a year or longer on him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships