Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 08:07 PM

470 posts, read 1,162,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Maybe where you live, but not on the West Coast or NYC. Plenty of women are child-free at 40+. Fewer of them live in the Mid-West or Bible Belt, though.
South TX, Rio Grande Valley. It's predominantly Hispanic.
It's pretty sad actually, there is a lot of single mommies here, vastly different than where I grew up in MN. A lot of girls down here have the mentality to get have babies/start a family before 25, so a lot of them rush and just get pregnant with first dude they could get .
The ones who I see that are over 25 and childless tend to be more educated ie..college degree.

Yeah..it's a pretty sad place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 08:10 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerwoodsyall View Post
South TX, Rio Grande Valley. It's predominantly Hispanic.
It's pretty sad actually, there is a lot of single mommies here, vastly different than where I grew up in MN. A lot of girls down here have the mentality to get have babies/start a family before 25, so a lot of them rush and just get pregnant with first dude they could get .
The ones who I see that are over 25 and childless tend to be more educated ie..college degree.

Yeah..it's a pretty sad place.
I'm in NM, and it's the same deal. The ones in college or who have completed college are child-free. Most non-Hispanic women are child-free, too.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:20 PM

348 posts, read 498,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Now, I am not going to mention names here, but...

Certain forum members have demonstrated trouble with finding child-less single people at a certain age (and in some cases, areas). For whatever reasons, they can't seem to find what they are looking for.

At what age should be the deadline for a reasonable request of seeking people without children?

And since it would be ignorant to ignore (is that a redundant phrase?) the geographical aspect to this, in what area does that age apply?
Well I have a friend who's 42 single and without kids and I know someone who's 28 single with 2 kids. It's hard to say honey.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:30 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Now, I am not going to mention names here, but...

Certain forum members have demonstrated trouble with finding child-less single people at a certain age (and in some cases, areas). For whatever reasons, they can't seem to find what they are looking for.

At what age should be the deadline for a reasonable request of seeking people without children?

And since it would be ignorant to ignore (is that a redundant phrase?) the geographical aspect to this, in what area does that age apply?
Finding a partner without children is fairly easy in your 20s.

But by your 30s, it is much harder, especially after 35. Statistically, the majority of heterosexual people in this age group have children.

By age 40, only about 18% of women have never given birth. That's less than one childless woman 1 of 5. Interstingly, that 18% is an 80% increase over 30 years ago, when only about 10% of women had no childen by age 40.

Geography may be a factor, but the biggest factor seems to be education level, at least among women. Women with advanced degrees are the least likely to have given birth by age 40, while women with less than a high school education were the most likely.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2010/...anced-degrees/

Old 08-19-2013, 08:33 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times
Quote:
There are childless people at every age. The challenge is to find them. Finding a match by almost any criteria is a challenge. This is no different.
True, because there are no special sunglasses to help pick us out.

Last edited by WFW&P; 08-19-2013 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: add photo

Old 08-19-2013, 08:46 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,706,599 times
A truly child-free person will maintain that stance for life. A person child-free at 20 will be equally the same at 30, 40, 50 and so forth. It’s vastly more common to find younger people not interested in having children “right now”, but who eventually change their minds. If however the whole point is finding an avowedly child-free person, that question becomes independent of age.

It would be a great disappointment finding a child-free person in her 20s, who changes her mind when approaching 40. Ask me how I know….

My impression is that the percentage of child-free people correlates strongly with urban concentration. It’s less about coastal vs. Midwest, than about city vs. country. Chicago and Atlanta probably have a higher concentration of child-free people than the San Joaquin Valley or Upstate New York. There is, I think, also a strong correlation with atheism/agnosticism, affluence and high educational attainment.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:47 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,151 times
Quote:
Maybe where you live, but not on the West Coast or NYC. Plenty of women are child-free at 40+. Fewer of them live in the Mid-West or Bible Belt, though.
Exactly. I live outside of Chicago and have met a lot of childless men here. If I was still looking I would never bend on this, ever.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:50 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,225,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
A truly child-free person will maintain that stance for life. A person child-free at 20 will be equally the same at 30, 40, 50 and so forth. It’s vastly more common to find younger people not interested in having children “right now”, but who eventually change their minds. If however the whole point is finding an avowedly child-free person, that question becomes independent of age.

It would be a great disappointment finding a child-free person in her 20s, who changes her mind when approaching 40. Ask me how I know….

My impression is that the percentage of child-free people correlates strongly with urban concentration. It’s less about coastal vs. Midwest, than about city vs. country. Chicago and Atlanta probably have a higher concentration of child-free people than the San Joaquin Valley or Upstate New York. There is, I think, also a strong correlation with atheism/agnosticism, affluence and high educational attainment.
I would not want to remain child-free. I just want children of my own.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:56 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
At whatever age you have not done some deep soul-searching about why the idea of kids bothers you.
For many it's not the kids but the other issues. I like kids and can tolerate them but don't like the other stuff that comes with having kids, like the money issues, or the drama, or the possibly different (or shall I say it lack of)morals. I don't want to support someone else's kids, nor do I want to come after the kids (including grown which often has different issues). I don't want to deal with the drama or having to reschedule a date so dad can go see Susie in her play. I don't want to go to a date consisting of McDonald's and a budget movie because this is all dad can afford because of paying child support. I don't want to be denied Christmas or birthday gifts because dad has to buy Susie and Billy gifts. I definitely don't want to see my paycheck going towards his kids or worse his ex wife and this happens a lot (and Illinois wants to make it easier for this to happen). I don't want to be denied a Catholic wedding because he can't marry in church or refuses to. Speaking of which I am a strong believer in marriage is for life, especially if kids are involved and I would question why he didn't stay together for the kids, or worse never married the mom.

As you can see very little is about the kids.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:58 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,210 times
Just to put it out there. There's a difference between child-less and child-free. Usually child-less means you want kids, but for whatever reason, don't have any. Child-free usually means you don't want kids by choice.

With that said, living in SoCal, it's not easy to find someone without kids. I look for childfree men and what I have come across is that most men, have at least one "oops" kid, even though they didn't want any or don't want anymore. Would it be worse in Portland, OR? I honestly have no clue, I'm not looking. But even in SoCal, they were few and far between.

IMHO, as I get older, it's not any harder to find CFBC (childfree by choice) men because age really doesn't matter. I never searched for "on the fence" guys and if they even said they pretty sure they don't want kids, they immediately went into my "no" pile. In fact, it was a lot harder to find men in their 20's who knew, for a fact, that they never wanted kids. Now that I'm older, what is harder to find is single CFBC men. Most of them are happily married.

I'm sure there are single and looking CFBC people out there. They just need to find one another.

Oh yeah. I would never stop looking for a CFBC partner because I don't want any child in my life, period. I can deal with nieces and nephews, but I absolutely refuse to be a stepmom to any child (of any age). If you have offspring, you are not for me. If I choose to stop looking because of age, then obviously I just gave up on finding a partner to love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships