Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 10:44 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

All of this begs the question, "Under what circumstances should a person move to a different locale, for purposes of improving his/her dating prospects"?
I dunno, but the town I will settle in will have more to do with job prospects and climate, than anything else

Edit: and cost of living, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 11:39 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,744,337 times
I'm drawing a distinction between childless and child-free.

Childless - does not currently have children. Likely will have them in the future, just waiting for the right time/partner/etc.

Child-free - has made a conscious decision that they do not want to have children. Often takes the step or makes an attempt at getting sterilized to prevent this outcome.

If your goal is to find a child free partner, it's doable, although speaking as a child-free woman who is active in the CF community . . . there aren't a huge number of CF people out there regardless of age. If you're committed to being CF and would only partner with another CF person, there's a very good chance you're going to have to compromise on some other things on your wish-list for a potential partner.

If your goal is to find someone who is currently childless, with the goal of eventually having children with them, it's going to be easier when you're younger. I know a few terrific women who wanted children who went ahead and had them via sperm bank, rather than waiting and waiting and waiting for the right guy. My best friend is currently doing this - she's pushing 40, not married yet, and is going this because she didn't want to lose her chance at being a mom.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:47 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Now, I am not going to mention names here, but...

Certain forum members have demonstrated trouble with finding child-less single people at a certain age (and in some cases, areas). For whatever reasons, they can't seem to find what they are looking for.

At what age should be the deadline for a reasonable request of seeking people without children?

And since it would be ignorant to ignore (is that a redundant phrase?) the geographical aspect to this, in what area does that age apply?
I don't think there is a deadline. I think a shift happens around a certain age, though. You might need to transition from no kids to no kids living at home for people who are child free by choice.

Those who want kids of their own are obviously limited by biological "deadlines." Of course you can free eggs and sperm, but my guess is that there would be financial burden with that method. For a man, if he wants a childless woman who can still have children, he'll have to be the dirty old man who marries someone young enough to be his daughter (oh, the irony).

My city is full of young women without kids, but, as findly said, they are concentrating on school and work. That won't last forever though.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:30 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,465 times
deleted to keep on topic

Old 08-21-2013, 11:52 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,371,365 times
I'm 40 & am childfree by choice.
I prefer a partner who is the same.
Can't guess how "realistic" such a desire is, though.
If I have to modify those standards, then I'd prefer someone whose children are already grown,
because I'm not cut out to be a parent/stepparent in any way, I'm dreadful at dealing with youngsters.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:00 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
We are on pace to have 10 billion people on this planet by 2020, which I am not sure if it can support it. To be honest with yourself and make the decision to be child free is commendable.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:01 PM

878 posts, read 942,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
At whatever age you have not done some deep soul-searching about why the idea of kids bothers you.
The idea of kids bothers me because they're loud and they stink. Good enough?

Some people, I'm one, were born childfree. We are called "early-articulators." I knew I didn't want to be a parent when I was 10. I wasn't sure why, but when my sister's friends tried to hand me baby dolls, I dropped them and split. I was repulsed. The notion of ME being a parent repulses, for reasons known and unknown. I tell parents who try to hand me babies "If you hand him/her to me I cannot guarantee I won't fumble like Wendell Tyler." They don't hand the baby to me.

Why is soul searching about not wanting kids a requirement for you?

Old 08-21-2013, 01:05 PM

878 posts, read 942,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
I'm 40 & am childfree by choice.
I prefer a partner who is the same.
Can't guess how "realistic" such a desire is, though.
If I have to modify those standards, then I'd prefer someone whose children are already grown,
because I'm not cut out to be a parent/stepparent in any way, I'm dreadful at dealing with youngsters.
Keep in mind, if you start dating "empty-nesters," no matter how "adult" those children are, they will always be number one with any of the aforementioned empty-nester. You will always be secondary to said offspring.

I'd rather be alone than be number two. So to speak, pun intended.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:21 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele-Cat View Post
Keep in mind, if you start dating "empty-nesters," no matter how "adult" those children are, they will always be number one with any of the aforementioned empty-nester. You will always be secondary to said offspring.

I'd rather be alone than be number two. So to speak, pun intended.
This is not always the case.

When you raise your children, it is under the premise that one day they will be adults and spread their wings.

Your mate is there with you for a much longer time.

Your children should hold one space in your heart, and your mate another. My son is 19 and in his second year of college and my daughter is 17 and a senior in high school. They are actually living with their dad right now, but I know they are becoming adults and will soon have their own lives, and families one day.

Hopefully, IMO, it is what parents should understand when raising your children. They will always be your children, but your spouse or SO will be with you by your side for a lifetime (hopefully).

I have found that man, he has no children, but my children don't necessarily take his place and become number one. They are both held in different areas of my heart.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:36 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
Once again the old "if a man wants a kid and he is older he'll have to go younger" excuse. The reality (which many always miss)is not every younger woman wants to marry an older man. Chances are if a man is at an age where most women are through menopause (I'll say mid 50's)he more than likely lost his chance to be a father unless he adopts. Also, as I repeatedly state, being younger doesn't mean she is fertile, nor does it mean a man is fertile. Many men are infertile, should women bypass them instead of taking a wait and see approach? Honestly most men I have met who use this as an excuse to attempt to date younger have other issues and most aren't baby obsessed. If they were, they would have found someone earlier.

Anyway yes there is a difference between childless and childfree but can overlap. I know people who absolutely don't want kids, some that do and others it depends. The last situation is kind of a hybrid of the first two. When I did online the majority of the men I met were of the "it depends" variety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships