Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 12:47 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times

Advertisements

The Catch-22 is that the “nicer” places, the places with more vibrant social-life and dating opportunities, tend to be more affluent and consequently more expensive. This isn’t a problem for people with lucrative careers, but often those careers tend to not be “portable”, meaning that one needs to intensively search for the optimal job, and then relocates wherever that job happens to be. In other words, those who make enough money to afford living in the nicest places, tend to have their place of residence selected by their employment options and not by their personal taste. “Portable” jobs would be things like law, healthcare, management consulting, software and the like. A highly non-portable jobs would be engineering, especially in sectors like resource-extraction or defense.

My suggestion is to perhaps remain living with one’s parents in the dead-end town for a couple of years, saving money as aggressively as possible, to build one’s financial cushion with an eye to eventually trading in the stodgy and boring lifestyle for something more scintillating.

OP – if you don’t mind sharing, what is your field? Advice on where to move would be largely contingent on one’s field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 01:19 PM

71 posts, read 91,181 times
Thanks for the great replies guys.

Based on your own experiences, how would you rank this short list of cities: Boston, NYC, DC, Philly for mainly dating and the overall attractiveness of the people in their 20's? I know there are surveys done but I'd rather hear the input from people who have spent a decent amount of time there. It seems like a lot of you have lived in the DC/Boston/NYC area. Can anyone speak directly on Philly?

Old 08-21-2013, 02:00 PM

71 posts, read 91,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
My suggestion is to perhaps remain living with one’s parents in the dead-end town for a couple of years, saving money as aggressively as possible, to build one’s financial cushion with an eye to eventually trading in the stodgy and boring lifestyle for something more scintillating.

OP – if you don’t mind sharing, what is your field? Advice on where to move would be largely contingent on one’s field.
I'm a pretty good saver and think I'll be pretty well off after working and saving money by living at home for a over a year. Plus I'm debt free as I already paid off all of my college tuition debt. At the very least, I'll have my current job as back up in case I can't find a job on par/better than that one but to be honest, I don't think I can handle staying here much longer than next summer. I want to enjoy being young because I'll only have hair once (haha).

To answer your other question, I currently work in the insurance industry but my majors allow me to work in a lot of different fields (I double majored in math and physics). I think I'd be able to find suitable work in all of those cities if I looked hard enough.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:49 PM

415 posts, read 599,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Is that the women born and raised in Boston or women who transplanted there? For me example I know that Transplanted Educated careerist women are far different than women born and raised or grew up in my area. I know that women native to my NYC are down to earth and sometimes compassionate, on the flip side stuck up, shallow, mean, reserved , walking double standard and yes sometimes very unfriendly especially if one is not attractive. even fat and ugly who grew up in my area act like they are hot stuff. Transient, college educated careerist are not like the local women and are worlds apart even though they live in the same hood. Problem might be the weather plenty of women in North Eastern cities have plenty of hangups. I really can't explain it.
Transplanted women were friendly. Born and raised Massachusetts chicks are not friendly at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimateguy8 View Post
Thanks for the great replies guys.

Based on your own experiences, how would you rank this short list of cities: Boston, NYC, DC, Philly for mainly dating and the overall attractiveness of the people in their 20's? I know there are surveys done but I'd rather hear the input from people who have spent a decent amount of time there. It seems like a lot of you have lived in the DC/Boston/NYC area. Can anyone speak directly on Philly?
Like I said before, don't move to Boston if you're a single guy. You'll hate it. Fact.

As far as Philly goes, the women there aren't attractive. If you asked me what U.S. cities have the least attractive women, Philly would be in my top 5 pick.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:39 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGuy View Post
Transplanted women were friendly. Born and raised Massachusetts chicks are not friendly at all.

Like I said before, don't move to Boston if you're a single guy. You'll hate it. Fact.

As far as Philly goes, the women there aren't attractive. If you asked me what U.S. cities have the least attractive women, Philly would be in my top 5 pick.
You need to go visit some of them 'southern states.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:47 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
Not Seattle or the west coast.

Spokane sucks.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:13 PM

415 posts, read 599,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
You need to go visit some of them 'southern states.
I've never had a problem getting a date when I lived in Texas. I know a fat Texan who is the same shape as Kevin James from King of Queens. He told me that he's so shy around women he sometimes barely has the courage to hold a girl's hand on the fourth date. But not a month goes by when he can't score a date. If you live in Dallas or Houston and can't score a date, kill yourself. Getting a date is so easy there. As easy as making a grilled cheese sandwich.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:29 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,546,441 times
Quote:
I've never had a problem getting a date when I lived in Texas. I know a fat Texan who is the same shape as Kevin James from King of Queens. He told me that he's so shy around women he sometimes barely has the courage to hold a girl's hand on the fourth date. But not a month goes by when he can't score a date. If you live in Dallas or Houston and can't score a date, kill yourself. Getting a date is so easy there. As easy as making a grilled cheese sandwich.
haha, good to know others believe the same. i grew up in Houston and my dating life was fairly entertaining. There is also a lot of diversity, not just culturally, but ppl from everywhere, and mostly looking to improve their careers and profession. I can attest to lots of young single professionals living there too.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:37 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,924 times
Nyc?

Old 08-21-2013, 05:38 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Quote:
Lol, I ain't talkin about Dallas. I am talking about those small country towns where the average age is 50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships