Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 10:38 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,998,293 times

Advertisements

I was surprised to see a comment elsethread to the effect that PUAs believe that women support prostitution being illegal. All the women I know think it should be legal, because they are feminists-- pro-sex and pro empowerment of women.

So, how would legal prostitution affect romantic relationships?

Some thoughts off the top of my head that are probably wrong:

Most things that are legal are regulated, so it might be like prostitution in Nevada where there is frequent STI testing. Of course, prostitutes who can afford it already get frequent testing, but this might help those who can't.

It might help with the contingent of guys who hate women because they think women control access to sex. Probably not, though, because we don't.

Safe, convenient access to male prostitutes would probably raise women's standards in term of the sexual knowledge they expect from men they are dating. This would benefit men and women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 10:42 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,351,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I was surprised to see a comment elsethread to the effect that PUAs believe that women support prostitution being illegal. All the women I know think it should be legal, because they are feminists-- pro-sex and pro empowerment of women.

Most things that are legal are regulated, so it might be like prostitution in Nevada where there is frequent STI testing. Of course, prostitutes who can afford it already get frequent testing, but this might help those who can't.

It might help with the contingent of guys who hate women because they think women control access to sex. Probably not, though, because we don't.

Safe, convenient access to male prostitutes would probably raise women's standards in term of the sexual knowledge they expect from men they are dating. This would benefit men and women.
Why is everyone of your posts a shot at PUAs? Have you been burned one too many times?

I don't consider myself a PUA, I like being single, but I love a good relationship too, but I do consider myself a supporter of game theory.

- We don't hate women and we know you don't control access to sex. That is a myth perpetuated by men that put women on a pedastal.

- It would still be taboo if legal, for both sexes, and I'm sure anyone who openly participated in it would be shunned, just as they are today.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:50 AM

543 posts, read 534,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy1316 View Post
Why is everyone of your posts a shot at PUAs? Have you been burned one too many times?

I don't consider myself a PUA, I like being single, but I love a good relationship too, but I do consider myself a supporter of game theory.

- We don't hate women and we know you don't control access to sex. That is a myth perpetuated by men that put women on a pedastal.

- It would still be taboo if legal, for both sexes, and I'm sure anyone who openly participated in it would be shunned, just as they are today.
It's either that or somehow trying to tie PUA to rape.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:52 AM

11,372 posts, read 9,288,232 times
Since the customers would still be a select and very limited cliental - close to zero.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:54 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,437,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Since the customers would still be a select and very limited cliental - close to zero.
I was thinking the same thing. People don't avoid prostitutes because it is illegal. They avoid them because 1) they don't need them, 2) it isn't cheap, and 3) concern of risk of diseases.

Also, if prostitution was legalized, the price may go up or go down (haven't thought about that) but if the price changes, then that might influence people going.

And, isn't it legal in some states? Are relationships in those states any different than in other states?

Finally, how do you measure how relationships are affected?

17,869 posts, read 21,002,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead4 View Post
It's either that or somehow trying to tie PUA to rape.
I don't care for them much either, but she has one massive lady-boner for that entire industry.

10,564 posts, read 12,824,295 times
It's just a bad idea. Few give the selling of flesh much thought...once you think about it - it is not a service just an abuse.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:56 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,998,293 times
I guess I was imagining that if it were legal it would have much more wholesome connotations. I picture downtown storefronts next to the chiropractor's office .

(In answer to questions, this wasn't a shot at PUAs. Other people have commented, appreciating me pointing out the source of some of the oft-repeated lines here, so I am trying to remember to do it more often.)

If stopping off at prostitute, for any gender, were more like picking up drycleaning, how would that affect relationships?

Old 07-22-2013, 10:58 AM

11,798 posts, read 12,038,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
I was thinking the same thing. People don't avoid prostitutes because it is illegal. They avoid them because 1) they don't need them, 2) it isn't cheap, and 3) concern of risk of diseases.

Also, if prostitution was legalized, the price may go up or go down (haven't thought about that) but if the price changes, then that might influence people going.

And, isn't it legal in some states? Are relationships in those states any different than in other states?

Finally, how do you measure how relationships are affected?
And 4) respect for themselves and women...

Old 07-22-2013, 10:58 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,630,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post

I think we would see a drop in marriages and relationships because many men would see no point in getting married or being in relationships because they can just pay to have their fun and cut through all the red tape. I'm not sure how it would work for women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships