Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 05:50 PM

177 posts, read 303,018 times

Advertisements

I only ask a third party( you guys) because he's giving me different signs.

They wasn't that close but they started to reconnect again in the last month or so. She unexpectedly died in her sleep. He has been crying on and off and other times he's just fine.

I offered to go with him to the service but he decline and said he needed to be alone. But later he says how can he go to his mothers funeral he feels like he's alone now.

I want to comfort and I know everyone has their own way of coping, but I won't lie he has me scratching my head!!

I'm thinking if I should just go and sit in the back, I know him and I know he's going to break down eventually.

I don't know guys whatbdo you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 06:09 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,223,337 times
Go with him.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:24 PM

348 posts, read 498,066 times
I would go. Tell him you'll go but stay out of his way and remind him that he can come to you when he needs you. Sorry to hear this.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:36 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Just go. Then you are there if he needs to reach out.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:39 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
You can ride along with him or drive him and either sit in the back if you want or stay in the car and wait for him.
Personally I would go but be close without being too close.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:51 PM

177 posts, read 303,018 times
Thanks.

I think I'm going to go and just stand by.

I asked him if I can ride with him and he said he didn't want me to go and he told his friends he didn't want them to go.

I feel a part of him is shutting down, but I want to be there. I want to show him he can't just push me away.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:25 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky2Sharks View Post
Thanks.

I think I'm going to go and just stand by.

I asked him if I can ride with him and he said he didn't want me to go and he told his friends he didn't want them to go.

I feel a part of him is shutting down, but I want to be there. I want to show him he can't just push me away.
Respect his wishes.

Show up by yourself as the service is about to begin and stay in the back.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:58 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
If he is really your boyfriend and not just some guy you've dated a few times, you go.

You don't ask him to think about details at a time like this - you just show up and watch for opportunities to be supportive and helpful.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:19 PM

855 posts, read 1,383,887 times
What I think is really important is that you are not just comforting yourself by being overtly righteous in consoling him. When someone dies, it's really hard to get the right words across because you may only be comforting yourself and not the person who is truly hurting.

I've been in this situation a couple of times on both sides.

Make an appearance and stay at the back like some have said. Offer him support in the form of a warm hug without trying to be too wordy and apologetic if the opportunity presents itself. Tell him that you will be there for him even if it means keeping a respectful distance for him to mourn on his own. Sometimes that's the best thing for a person who has lost a parent.

If you feel that it might be too much for him and you to be at the funeral, the better thing to do is to give him a sympathy card. If you have a group of friends that know him as well, nothing beats sending thoughtful flowers to the family.

Good luck to you.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:26 PM

176 posts, read 520,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky2Sharks View Post
REally can he put it in any plainer language? He does not want you to go. You are a girlfriend, not a wife, and thus need to be respectful of the limitations that come with that designation. Offer instead to do something for him that needs to be taken care of, such as "house sitting" during the funeral (some people do not want the family house empty), or preparing food for the family's return home, or taking care of pets. If he says no thanks, then respect his wishes. If I told a girlfriend to not come to my Mother's funeral, and she showed up, I'd dump her for good since she thinks more about "her wants" than "my wishes".

If you are worried about his mental health or depression, then you could speak to one of his family members that you know by phone.

Don't intrude where you are not wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships