Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 11:01 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times

Advertisements

As the question says, when you go on a blind date, or say with someone you meet online you don't know very well, and you meet the guy...do you find you usually find yourself attracted to him straight away (or not), or does it normally take time for you to warm to him? Have there been any dates where you started out sort of lukewarm and were smitten by the end of the date? Where maybe he was really charming/nice/seductive whatever.

Of course I'm sure looks would play a big role...since there's the initial physical attraction, and then getting to know the person inside. I guess some might disappoint and some might prove more attractive the more you know them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 12:12 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
There's always some initial reaction, but over the course of the date it can always change. If at first glance the guy isn't as cute as I hoped, but then they make me laugh or are very interesting, etc, I can get more attracted. And vice versa, if the guy is cute but turns out to be really passive or timid, I won't be as attracted as I was initially.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:42 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
I pretty much know right away whether I'm attracted and it doesn't change as time goes on.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:08 PM

410 posts, read 514,953 times
well looks catch my eye first thing but just like anyone else either i like the personality or i don't. i have been turned off by alot of attractive looking men just because their personalities were attrocious and i have hit it off with not so attractive looking guys alot more.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:10 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I pretty much know right away whether I'm attracted and it doesn't change as time goes on.

so looks are very important to you then

Old 08-23-2013, 01:27 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,757,868 times
Looks don't really matter in attracting women, at least in my own personal exp.; YMMV of course. I had and still have reasonably sufficient good looks, but it didn't matter in the end, b/c zero women at all were ever interested in me romantically, until I was already over 31 years old. To this day, only 2-3 women even liked me romantically enough to want a relationship at all to begin with. Looks can get you one or two dates perhaps, but they can't get you all the way to a relationship, alone and by themselves...

Old 08-23-2013, 01:39 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,757,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
There's always some initial reaction, but over the course of the date it can always change. If at first glance the guy isn't as cute as I hoped, but then they make me laugh or are very interesting, etc, I can get more attracted. And vice versa, if the guy is cute but turns out to be really passive or timid, I won't be as attracted as I was initially.
(Referring to bolded portions above.) But do you truly understand *why* it is, exactly, that is making an otherwise cute guy timid or passive? It's not b/c he's not interested romantically, in you -- it's specifically because he is afraid of being rejected, by you; hence he plays his hand in a more risk-averse way. IME, excessive timidity or passivity in a guy is a symptom of repeated rejection...after enough rejections, he is automatically conditioned to think that rejection is inevitable, and he withdraws, into himself -- and thus, enters a more timid and passive nature.

It is a vicious cycle, that additional rejection only reinforces. In MHO, if a woman really and truly wants to help ease the symptoms of timidity in a guy, she should ideally give him a real chance romantically, with her, and just be genuinely nice to him...being caring, gentle, and compassionate to a guy, is the best single way to ease his feelings of timidity and anxiety...

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 08-23-2013 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: Correction

Old 08-23-2013, 01:48 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
(Referring to bolded portions above.) But do you truly understand *why* it is, exactly, that is making an otherwise cute guy timid or passive? It's not b/c he's not interested romantically, in you -- it's specifically because he is afraid of being rejected, by you; hence he plays his hand in a more risk-averse way. IME, excessive timidity or passivity in a guy is a symptom of repeated rejection...after enough rejections, he is automatically conditioned to think that rejection is inevitable, and he withdraws, into himself -- and thus, enters a more timid and passive nature.

It is a vicious cycle, that additional rejection only reinforces. In MHO, if a woman really and truly wants to help ease the symptoms timidity in a guy, she should ideally give him a real chance romantically, with her, and just be genuinely nice to him...being caring, gentle, and compassionate to a guy, is the best single way to ease his feelings of timidity and anxiety...
It's not up to a woman to give some guy she hardly knows more of a chance than a first date. Being a little nervous is one thing, but if he's such a delicate petal that he can't function socially like a normal person that's his cross to bear, not hers.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:50 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post

You sound like me, if there is no attraction, I am mentally checked out of the date

I remember I was trying to give this one womanI met on a blind date a hint by not eating my dinner and saving it for when I arrived home. She was like.........."why are you not eating? and I was like........"not hungry"

What it really meant was "not interested" lol

Old 08-23-2013, 02:28 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
I have met beautiful women who have evil personalities. Then I've met so-so women who have really cool personalities.

Sad part is some you love to have a fun night out with would not make very good marriage mates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships