Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 10:30 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times

Advertisements

I've dated around a lot too and there seems to not be much of the " in the between" or "middle ground" type of guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog1 View Post
I have found that to be the case, though I don't have a lot of experience (Ive had 1 of each kind) is there something in between?

Last edited by artsyguy; 02-23-2009 at 11:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 10:33 PM
ECG

42,606 posts, read 2,746,104 times
Not all Macho strong types...stay silent after a while...Alot has to do with the women they are with.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:57 PM

Some women are hyper overbearing manic control freaks and that turns a man into a real shy bump on a log from what I've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG1951 View Post
Not all Macho strong types...stay silent after a while...Alot has to do with the women they are with.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:02 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
dont know but my mom says its true.
good post you got rep.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:04 AM

Thanks I'm glad you see my point of view now. Good work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
dont know but my mom says its true.
good post you got rep.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:36 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Guys who can attract women without much communication, really have no need to communicate. It just might ruin a good situation. Since women are already favorably disposed to them, they interpret this silence favorably.

The rest of men who cannot attract women this way have to resort to other approaches. Unfortunately, if they use verbal communication, this usually doesn't work in their favor. Since women aren't initially favorably disposed to them, they interpret everything thyy say through the filter of this initial impression. This means, whenever they say something that can be taken two ways, the unfavorable interpretation is most likely to be made.

They then wonder why they marry a guy who not only can't communicate but really has no interest in hearing what they have to say.

I realize that this doesn't always happen - only most of the time.
Exactly. If a girl is attracted to a guy, then everything he says or does will be interpreted positivley. Same deal with un-attractive guys, everything he does will be creepy and bad.

Often, I'm silent around girls I don't know or are pretty, often becuase I assume they're un-attracted to me and hence it's not worth connecting with them, since anything and everything I do will be cast in a negitive light.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:50 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Not my type at all I have to say !
The silent macho type just gets on my nerves.

I would rather go for the intelligent, funny guy who is sensitive, charming and fluent in speech rather than the grunting caveman . Every single time.
Men can be strong and still able to string two intelligent sentences together.

Being masculine to me has little to do with brawn and more to do with brains, compassion, loyalty and a killer sense of humour.

There is nothing sexier than a man with a big... intellect who makes you laugh as well.

I for one cannot fathom why women like the neanderthal man type. It holds zilch appeal for me.

A real man is someone who is not afraid of being himself and does not need to show off and beat his chest with macho rubbish. That to me stinks of serious insecurities .

Old 02-24-2009, 10:26 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Some women are hyper overbearing manic control freaks and that turns a man into a real shy bump on a log from what I've seen.
Dude, I agree with your unfiltered view some times.

Here, I agree, but it needs to qualified. The only power is financial and sometimes religious. If we lived in more lawless times, men would just walk out. It's the obligations and protocols concocted in modern society that keep them there. Before these protections were in place, men probably would have said "see ya."

Devout Catholic or not, I am sure my brother would walk out of his marriage, if he really was able to do what he wanted to do....but he won't, because of his obligations and his parish ties. What a croc.

For me, some of the worst women I've met are devout Catholics for whom it's actually more "window dressing" ("look at me, look at me") and, when you start digging, most things about them aren't even in alignment with basic core Christian values.

I've digressed a little...let's get back to "SST" discussion...

Old 02-24-2009, 10:45 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Not my type at all I have to say !
The silent macho type just gets on my nerves.

I would rather go for the intelligent, funny guy who is sensitive, charming and fluent in speech rather than the grunting caveman . Every single time.
Men can be strong and still able to string two intelligent sentences together.

Being masculine to me has little to do with brawn and more to do with brains, compassion, loyalty and a killer sense of humour.

There is nothing sexier than a man with a big... intellect who makes you laugh as well.

I for one cannot fathom why women like the neanderthal man type. It holds zilch appeal for me.

A real man is someone who is not afraid of being himself and does not need to show off and beat his chest with macho rubbish. That to me stinks of serious insecurities .

Yeah, and every guy I know who is like that is single.

To answer Coldwine's question: Women quite frankly either don't know what turns them on on a primal level or if they do, downplay it/lie so as not to ruffle feathers. Men tend to give more credance to women's actions than their words. For all these girls who wax poetic about "feelings and compassion", I can honestly say that the "Stone Cold Macho Men" aren't doing to badly in the women department.

Women are instinctually turned on by strength and power. Neither of which is conveyed when you're crying....

Old 02-24-2009, 11:29 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Yeah, and every guy I know who is like that is single.

To answer Coldwine's question: Women quite frankly either don't know what turns them on on a primal level or if they do, downplay it/lie so as not to ruffle feathers. Men tend to give more credance to women's actions than their words. For all these girls who wax poetic about "feelings and compassion", I can honestly say that the "Stone Cold Macho Men" aren't doing to badly in the women department.

Women are instinctually turned on by strength and power. Neither of which is conveyed when you're crying....

Not every woman is the same you know... Some women go for the macho type , others like myself look for something else in men.

I have only been with the intelligent, non macho type and would not swap for the world.

Strength and power are not all about brawn.... I like a man who has his own mind and does not need he feels to conform to whatever society expects him to.

My idea of hell would be a beer swilling guy who spends more time with his friends than with me, who feels he has to be "macho" to be liked and someone who believes his fists should do the talking if things get a bit rough.

It depends what you are like as a person. I like cultured, intellectual types, someone who will appreciate the arts, archaeology, architecture, music, the theatre, wildlife, photography etc... Not someone who will spend his evenings in a bar watching football or rugby drooling over other women. That is deeply unsexy and completely unattractive to me.

I do not find anything even remotely sexy about Neanderthal types. Russell Crowe , Arnie and his ilk do absolutely nothing for me. Never have done and never will.
Give me Gabriel Byrne any day or Gregory Peck any day...

A real man is someone who can stand on his own two feet without the bad boy accoutrements.

Last edited by Mooseketeer; 02-24-2009 at 11:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships