Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2013, 11:52 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,355,480 times

Advertisements

Why Couples Look Alike - YouTube

I found this interesting video. Basically, what this duo is saying that whoever you spend the rest of your life with, you start to resemble your wife/husband/partner.

I found this to be a rather...interesting idea.

Watch the video (however much you can stomach) and feel free to discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 12:08 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,808,000 times
I can't see the video right now, but I recently read where someone hypothesized this happens because of two reasons. 1) Shared emotions though out the years (times of happiness, sadness, etc) causing the same wrinkle patterns on a face, etc. and 2) Mimicry. When a man and woman have a mutual attraction, it's reflected in their body language and they will mimic each other.

I think other factors would come into play too including shared activities (if a couple is a couple of couch potatoes as opposed to a could of mountain bikers who build up the same muscles). And also a shared diet could have some effect.

Interesting stuff to say the least

Old 08-20-2013, 12:53 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,896,723 times
Yeah it's bull crap. My mom looks nothing like my dad. My exes didn't look like me. My brother and sister in law don't look alike. All my family members are different.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:14 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,890,033 times
Another reason: sexual dimorphism peaks relatively early in adulthood. (Meaning as men get older, they start looking more like women, while women begin to look more masculine.)

The main reason, however, is that people are attracted to individuals who look like themselves (but not extremely similar, usually). The research clearly demonstrates it.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:29 PM

151 posts, read 211,047 times
I'm not sure I believe in this theory to be honest. I've read about it and all. Most guys I'm attracted to look nothing like me.
My friends who are now dating definitely do not look like their partners.

However, in some cases, there's a strong resemblance between the two. Hence, I'm quite torn.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:37 PM

211 posts, read 373,406 times
Couples that look alike make me feel uncomfortable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships